November 2014 Moms
Options

Moms who smoke

hi all! I was wondering if any moms (or dads) who smoke cigarettes! I was a heavy smoker before becoming pregnant and have been trying to cut down for awhile! I stopped at one point but have picked up the bad habit again :( I am trying to quit again because my DD has reflux and I've heard caffeine and nicotine might be making it worse! (EBF) I'm just looking for a little support and advice from other moms who had to quit either smoking or caffeine! I love coffee and cigarettes but am really determined to quit both for the sake of my daughter!

Re: Moms who smoke

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good for you for trying to quit. My fiance is trying to quit for the same reason, the health of our baby. I know that there are smoking cessation programs in almost every state that will help subsidize or pay completely for the patch or other methods. It's worth looking into.

In the meantime our pediatrician recommended my fiance designate a jacket and gloves and hat for smoking so he can take it off and not have his hair or clothing full of the chemicals before being with the baby. He only smokes outside.

I am just guessing that nicotine in your blood + breastfeeding is a mortally unhealthy combination.
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Options
    gldnbearzgldnbearz member
    edited January 2015
    Have you spoken to your doctor about smoking cessation programs or aides such as the nicotine patch or gum? Since you are EBF, worth checking with your health care provider.

Some insurance companies also give financial incentives for these programs and services.

• Options
    @ssstephanie214‌ pedi told me it's more so the 2nd hand smoke that's worse than the breastfeeding but after doing research on reflux turns out lots of moms tried eliminating nicotine and saw results. I know quitting will be hard but in long run I'll be healthier and baby will be healthier and happier!
  • Options
    I'm already down to 2 to 3 a day so my goal is to just go cold turkey.
  • Options
    Thank you for the support. I know it's a nasty habit and trust me I am very ashamed i am not just hurting myself but my innocent daughter too. That's why I finally opened my eyes and going to quit no matter how hard it is I already got rid of my parliaments and there's no way of getting them back.
  • Options
    @NunyaBennis‌ that's a good idea but I already got rid of my last pack. @ccam‌ i never knew about the urge lasting 3 to 5 minutes that's good to know. I've been drinking lots of water today and now just snuggling with sleeping baby :smile:
  • Options

@NunyaBennis‌ that's a good idea but I already got rid of my last pack. @ccam‌ i never knew about the urge lasting 3 to 5 minutes that's good to know. I've been drinking lots of water today and now just snuggling with sleeping baby :smile:

Good for you! Hang in there... minute it by minute turns into hour by hour, day by day to week by week, and eventually month by month to year by year. Even slow progress is progress!
  • Options
    Go you!!!! A good decision for both you and your LO :)
  • Options
    Good job deciding to stop smoking momma!
    After smoking from 13-31, I quit the weekend I got my BFP, DH quit soon after.
    I miss cigarettes so so very much. Especially now that Noob is now an outside baby and smoking wouldn't /hurt/ him... but every day i remind myself that if i started again I'd just have to quit again..... and i don't think i could stop again without pregnancy to stop me! Almost one year quit, for the best reason in the world.
  • Options
    Quitting smoking isn't easy but just keep your mind to it and you'll see you can do it. When I decided to begin preparing my body for procreation I quit cold turkey and never touched cigs again. Been 4 years. And as for reflux: I drink decaf coffee just about everyday and LO doesn't have reflux. She spits up once in a while that's about it.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your kind words. Anytime I craved a cigarette today I thought about this post and it really helped me get through the day!
  • Options
    @StacyMarie33 thank you I just downloaded app!
  • Options
    My FI switched to a vape cigarette. He's doing pretty well on it. He hasn't smoked in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping he has reduced his nicotine levels. Like PP said, it isn't a perfect solution but better than cigarettes. The vape isn't FDA approved so I set same rules in place as if he's smoking an cigarette - vaping would be outside and he still needs to clean up before touching LO. His step father, aunt and uncles are all on vape and paid for FI's vape thingie. His stepdad's mother died about a month ago from lung cancer and it started the push towards being smoke free.

I applaud you for making the effort to quit and I know it's so so hard. I've been on FI's case about quitting for 5 years and he has seriously struggled. Vape seems to help him. He said that he can smell and breathe better. So small steps!! :)

Hang in there!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"