Breastfeeding
Options

Engorged after baby STTN

Hello breastfeeding friends!

So my 6 month old DD just recently started sleeping through the night (like, as in 2 nights ago...i'm crossing my fingers it remains *knock on wood*). By the time she wakes up hungry between 5am-5:30am, my breasts are super engorged. So, should I be pumping in the middle of the night to avoid a supply drop? Or will my body regulate itself WITHOUT a supply drop?!

Definitely can't afford much of a drop in my supply. I work and pump while I'm at work. I currently pump just enough to send to the sitter.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Engorged after baby STTN

• Options
    As long as you are feeding on demand when you are with baby, and you are pumping to replace feedings of baby gets a bottle you will be fine.

Pumping MOTN will just signal your body to keep making milk. Hand express into a towel for comfort before you feed LO if she is having a tough time latching.
    imageimage
    Cooper & Melody.     My Rescues <3

• Options
    There's no problem going through the night without BF. However, I did take advantage of that when I was working and did pump MOTN to beef up my freezer stash. I had everything set up and would wake around 2 on my own, since that was when she had been waking. I would just pump and put the bottles in the cooler and go right back to bed.I was getting 7 oz that way, and it really helped. I stopped after agile to get the extra sleep, but if you're just making enough, it may be a quick way to store extra. GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, so I don't have a ton of experience, but I can tell you what happens with me.  My baby is only 11 weeks, but he will occasionally give us 5 hours and I also get a bit lazy about pumping at night because I am so exhausted, so I will sometimes go 8 hours at night between pumping.  I have found that as long as I pump a bit longer in the morning than usual and really empty myself, my supply is not affected.  I'm sure this won't work for everyone and I know I shouldn't do this as I also don't have enough of a supply and actually have to supplement as it is.  Sometimes I just really need my sleep though.  I am primarily pumping due to latch issues.  We do try and nurse a few times a day.
  • Options
    I chose not to pump in the middle of the night when LO started STTN and my supply was fine. It usually takes a few days for your body to adjust. We were able to BF until I weaned at 13 months. Like PP said above, you can take advantage of it to build a stash or you can always add it back in later if you experience a dip in supply. Personally, I choose sleep! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"