Military Families

Hurlburt Field, FL

Hi, my husband is getting stationed at Hurbie in a couple months, and I've just been looking at the area there...I've heard that traffic is terrible and it looks like there's only a few towns within a reasonable driving distance of where he's going to be working. Anyone else living in the area that can give us tips on the best places to live? We are looking to buy a house, and I really want to be within a 30 min drive to the base for my hubby. Thoughts/opinions? Thanks in advance ladies! :)

Re: Hurlburt Field, FL

• We are on Eglin, but have a friend who is at Hurlburt and they live in Navarre. They bought the house they were renting and it takes them about 20 min to get to base. Rent is really decent out there. Only other place, driving wise within 30 min with traffic, would be Mary Esther. But you'll get better housing in Navarre. I don't know if you have dogs or not but it was really hard for us to find somewhere in Mary Esther, Fort Walton area that would allow dogs. Even if they did allow dogs, they had to weigh less than 15-20 lbs. But I would definitely look into Navarre. Good luck!
  • edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • My H is stationed at Hurlburt and we currently rent in Mary Esther. Navarre definitely has the best houses in the area but traffic can be bad on Hwy 98.
    Love: 5.27.09
    Marriage: 6.15.13
  • We lived in Navarre (DH at Hurlburt) for 5+ years. We aren't there now but we liked living in Navarre. For family life its pretty nice, the park/splash pad are nice and not overly crowded, the beaches are nice and again not overly crowded. Largest yards and houses for the money in the area. I wouldn't live any further than Holley by The Sea subdivision though. The drive can be a real pain, but honestly that is just part of living in the area. The worst traffic I've ever sat in was actually east of base, heading to Destin. Unfortunatly 98 is unavoidable. That said DH hardly ever had more than 30 minutes drive to base. Unless there was an accident. Normally more like 20 minutes, and if he had a night/early morning that he worked he could make it in under 15. 

As a spouse I just learned to avoid driving during peak times. If it was 4pm and I was going home from Destin, I would pull into Target east of base and shop for a bit, better than sitting in traffic and I got home at the same time. I think base was working on easing the traffic off of base when we left, hopefully the figured something out to help, but its hard when there is literally ONE road.
    The methodist church in Navarre does Mother's Day Out, and Florida offers Voluntary Pre-K which can be done a lot of places for free, including some private schools if you want to do that. 

If I were single without kids and doing it again I would live in Destin, but with a family I think Navarre is the better option, as did almost all our friends with kids. I know several families that said if/when we move back they will be going to Navarre. 

Holley by The sea is a popular subdivision and they do have a gym/pool just for residents of the neighborhood, I've gone with friends, and if we move back to Navarre I would rather have the option with that than where we lived, but thats totally personal preference. 
    If you have any specific questions I'm happy to help! You can always PM me. I have tons of friends in the area still and there is a good chance we will be moving back, so I try to keep up with the happenings of the area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My husband works at Eglin and I work at Hurlburt, so we ended up choosing between Destin and Niceville. We chose Niceville since we wouldn't be dealing with the summer tourist traffic. Some people live in Navarre, but I've heard if there is an accident on 98 you can be stuck for hours. They're saying the 98 bypass will be completed this summer, but I personally think it might take a little bit longer.
    Barbara
    imageimage
  • Thanks ladies! I've just been hearing the great things about the traffic, lol. I think we are going to buy a house, because we have such big dogs (2 GSD's) and it would be so hard to find a rental with them. Also, we're gonna be there for about 5 years. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"