February 2015 Moms
Options

Pre-Washing Baby Clothes

Chcaggie1Chcaggie1 member
edited January 2015 in February 2015 Moms
I'm curious what most other mamas are doing...Will you prewash your babies clothes?

I've seen various recommendations around the web. Seems like most ppl wash some and keep tags on some to return if they don't fit. However, I want to get as much done in advance as I can. Plus I feel like I can't fully set up the nursery until I get everything washed and placed in the appropriate drawers (that may be slightly OCD of me!). The majority of baby boy's clothes are gifts so it's not like we would be losing money if he can never wear them. I'm leaning towards washing everything and if he can't wear it then I will gift it to a friend in need or sell it at consignment. I'm just not sure that leaving the tags on to return later is worth the effort. So I'm wondering what he majority of other mamas do!

Oh yea, I know not to wash a TON of newborn stuff since he may actually never fit that size. my thought is to wash about a weeks worth of newborn clothes incase he does fit them, I wont have to wash for at least the first week.

Pre-Washing Baby Clothes 255 votes

I will pre-wash ALL baby clothes and remove tags.
49% 127 votes
I will pre-wash a few nb outfits, leave the tags on all other sizes to wash later.
23% 60 votes
I will pre-wash a few outfits from each size and leave the tags on most outfits to return items as needed.
16% 42 votes
I will NOT pre-wash any baby clothes.
5% 14 votes
Just let me CLICK!
4% 12 votes

Re: Pre-Washing Baby Clothes

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've washed all of his newborn and 0-3 months outfits along with blankets, sheets and towels because I'm crazy when it comes to germs.

Also, a real pet peeve of mine is that a lot of my co-workers are smokers and they have bought numerous outfits for Little Man.  Which is sweet, but everything smells like cigarette smoke.  I'm grateful of course for the thoughtful gift, but I have to wash everything the second I get it in the house since the husbandman and I are not smokers and can't stand the smell. 

• Options

I have very few new pieces of clothing. Most are consignment or garage sale, so I washed all of them.

• Options
    cls78cls78 member
    edited January 2015
    I have washed all my newborn stuff and some hand me downs I got. I also washed my cloth diapers, blankets, towels and some bedding.
    TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I got a lot of hand me downs. So I went ahead and washed all of that stuff but left the tags on the new stuff.
    BabyName Ticker

• Options
    So i was weird about what I washed and what I didnt. All handed down items were washed regardless of size. As for new items, if the items were loose I untagged and washed them. Like onesie outfits from walmart... I know they were probably all over the floor and someone just came by and hung it up. So things like that were washed. If the clothes or blankets were manufacture wrapped I didnt wash it. 
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • Options
    KristinMTBell I totally agree with you! If I don't wash it now I will probably avoid the outfit like the plague once he arrives b/c I HATE doing laundry. May as well get it over with now while I'm nesting and don't mind cleaning everything!

• Options
    I washed every piece of clothing that was newborn and 0-3 months. I washed the other sizes as DD got closer to being in them. I washed every towel, sheet, blanket, burp cloth, and anything else the baby would be touching that could be washed. This time around I re washed everything I listed above.
  • Options
    I've washed everything that could be washed. I've gotten most my stuff on Facebook sale sites in my area.I plan to resale the stuff that is still in good condition when she grows out of it. If you're worried about taking tags off and then not using the clothes and losing money try finding a sale site on Facebook for your area. Baby clothes are always in demand and there's no shame in getting them cheap and used!
  • Options
    krysmillkrysmill member
    edited January 2015
    I washed a couple new NB and 0-3 months. I got some hand me down NB that I washed today. I figure that I'll be doing laundry in the first week anyway so if I need more NB or 0-3 month's I'll wash them. I saved all the receipts from my shower and will return what I don't use and buy what I need. This will be our only child so I don't want to save clothes forever.
  • Options
    I prewashed everything. Part of my nesting and nursery readying instinct was to have everything hung in the closet and ready to go for D Day! This is our first and we were also gifted all of the clothes so I'm not too concerned about being able to return or exchange things or the waste of money. Maybe I'll be different the second time around but this time I'm prewashing!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I washed all of my 0-3, but anything else I have it just hanging in the closet. I will wash them when the baby nears that size.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I washed everything, and I have to admit I even washed my bed sheets in Dreft to make it smell like the baby clothes. Anything to give me a little reminder of the end result to why I'm up all night! It's worked wonders with my patience.
    Anniversary  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've washed everything I have that can be washed. I got a ton of hand me downs from friends and had bought only a handful of items so I just washed it all.
    I have clothes NB-24 months and it's all washed and sorted in bins and ready to go.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pre-washed all blankets, burp cloths, receiving blankets.... All clothing from NB to 3 months prewashed. Haven't decided on 3-6 months and on.....
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• Options
    I returned almost all of the newborn things that were bought so I could have 0-3 or 3-6 month size instead. My firstborn was able to wear newborn size for literally 2 weeks and my daughter was taken out like 3 weeks early which made my mom rush out and buy some premie clothes but with this baby we're trying to keep him in there as long as possible so I think newborn size is a waste of time and money and we washed everything from his clothes to the animals on his crib mobile to his car seat, bouncer, and swing covers! We're ready lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"