February 2015 Moms

Shingles? Ahh!!

DH has had pain on the skin on half his chest and back for the past week, and it's finally bad enough that we made a doctors appointment tomorrow. He hates doctors, so his asking me to make the appointment was big deal stuff!
Anyway, in our little bit of research, we're pretty sure it's shingles. Which we found out in our research can be very dangerous for pregnant women!
We'll find out more tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath! We have our guest bed made up and ready so he doesn't expose me to it.
So.... Prayers that he'll recover quickly and that I don't catch it. And that I don't deliver before he recovers!!

Re: Shingles? Ahh!!

• You can't get shingles from someone. The virus that causes shingles can be passed and if you've never had chickenpox before you could possibly get that, if you've never been immunized.

Does he have blisters?
  • Ahh sweet. I've had chicken pox but never shingles, I saw that on another website but wasn't sure at the legitimacy of the information!
    He's started to blister a little:/
  • Loading the player...
  • The virus can be spread while the rash is in its blistering stage. No longer contagious when scabs appear. The virus is less contagious from shingles than someone with actual chicken pox. But I would suggest still avoiding him.

I'm no doctor though :-\"
  • Ace226Ace226 member
    edited January 2015
    Thank you:) Poor guy. He just started his week on of 12 hour shifts and he's dead set on saving his PTO for when the baby comes! Barring, of course, being sent home for having shingles:/ but idk if he will be, since the affected area is under his shirt and it's spread by touch. We'll see!
    He'll be getting a lot of pampering for this, I tell ya. Lol!
  • My dad had shingles. It's a pain in the butt. He's still recovering four months later and his doctors told him the symptoms could last a year. It started on his chest then spread under his arm and went to his back. He's not one to go to the doctor either.

Hope he feels better and that it's not shingles!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Poor guy! I've had shingles a couple of times in the past. They're awful! I found that capsaicin cream helped a bit with the discomfort.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • They are not catchy to you if you've had chicken pox but it could be dangerous to the baby since he/she hasn't. Definitely talk to your doctor after finding out if it is shingles!! Avoid him, especially the blisters!

Good luck!
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• Thanks everyone! Ahh it's looking like that's definitely what it is. He has more blisters this morning. Luckily I'm still only 34 weeks, so hopefully he's all clear in the next 6 and it's not a several month process!
  • Hope your DH feels better soon. My hubby got shingles a few years ago, started on his back and within 3 days has spread in a ring around his entire chest. I had to help him apply the cream medication on his back so I applied it with a cotton ball while wearing a glove. As PP have said, you should be fine if you've had chicken pox but def call your OB for advice on baby. My hubby's rash took months to completely clear up and he still experienced tingling painful sensations for almost a year afterwards. Good luck!
  • maasybaby said:

Oh man that suuuuucks! Poor all of you guys! Hope he gets out of his infectious stage asap. Stock up on lots of disinfectant and let us know what the doctor says! I've never had shingles or known anyone with them, so I thought they'd itch rather than hurt (got all itchy reading this now!). Good luck!!!

Oh my gosh me too. All day whenever I think about it I start itching!
    I read someone describing the pain as similar to a curling iron burn. All I can say I'm glad it's not like some pictures I saw of shingles around the hips. I think if it affected him down there is have a heck of a time getting any sympathy during labor ;)
  • I've had chicken pox but have caught shingles twice after working with children who had it. Definitely avoid as much as you can id say :)
  • flyinghigh89flyinghigh89 member
    edited January 2015

I've had chicken pox but have caught shingles twice after working with children who had it. Definitely avoid as much as you can id say :)

Stop giving bad information.
    https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html

I caught shingles twice after working with children who had the condition and I had to change nappies etc before their scabs scabbed over. I had chicken pox when I was 18 months old also, so actually bad information would be saying that you shouldn't be worried about getting shingles if you've had chicken pox because clearly it can happen.
  • @flyinghigh89‌ your age when you got the chicken pox is why. My little brother got chicken pox at 6 months and our doctor explained that (most times) when a child under 2 gets them then it's almost like their bodies forgot. If they got them at a young age (under 2) then they can get chicken pox again. You were 18 months when you had chicken pox that's why you were able to get shingles. If OP had them later in life I'd say it's not likely she'll get shingles. You're welcome for the science lesson.
  • You said it yourself, MOST TIMES. The NHS website says that ANYONE who has had chicken pox can catch shingles. The statistics are:

"How common is shingles?

It's estimated that around one in five people who have had chickenpox (usually in childhood) go on to develop shingles. That means that tens of thousands of people in England and Wales will get shingles each year."

Granted this isn't for America, but the virus is the same. So no, my age may not have been the reason I caught shingles, but thanks for trying to tell me how my body works. And you ladies say you aren't doctors?!
  • You said it yourself, MOST TIMES. The NHS website says that ANYONE who has had chicken pox can catch shingles. The statistics are:

"How common is shingles?

It's estimated that around one in five people who have had chickenpox (usually in childhood) go on to develop shingles. That means that tens of thousands of people in England and Wales will get shingles each year."

Granted this isn't for America, but the virus is the same. So no, my age may not have been the reason I caught shingles, but thanks for trying to tell me how my body works. And you ladies say you aren't doctors?!

You didn't understand a damn thing I said in that last post did you?
  • You say that after every time someone replies saying something you don't like. You explained that I got shingles because I was 18 months when I had chicken pox and my body "forgot" about the chicken pox virus. I showed you MY research and it's wrong? Have I got that right?
  • You say that after every time someone replies saying something you don't like. You explained that I got shingles because I was 18 months when I had chicken pox and my body "forgot" about the chicken pox virus. I showed you MY research and it's wrong? Have I got that right?

Your research says "1 in 5 people who've had chicken pox (USUALLY IN CHILDHOOD) go on to develop shingles." So that backs up what I said. The part where you said "so no, my age may not have been why I got shingles" is what threw me off because you contradicted yourself. Never said your information was wrong. And I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've said that so I don't know where you got that "I say it everytime I don't agree with someone" idea from.BTW this medical question is only okay because she's not asking anything about her pregnancy. In fact, she never asked a question she told us what was going on with her DH and asked for prayer. Please, stop acting like a victim. And like I said on the other post I'm done commenting but feel free to keep commenting if you want.
    edited January 2015
    USUALLY IN CHILDHOOD, I'm glad you capitalised that because you can't be too careful in pregnancy. USUALLY means most of the time, not every time. You cannot catch shingles if you've never had chicken pox but if you've had chicken pox at ANY AGE you can still get shingles at ANY AGE. It's a fact. Do your research before throwing false facts about and thinking you're a doctor, you say enough times you're not. Ok, she wasn't asking a question, but it's medical related and you're still adding input about how it's transmitted etc etc and thought that was a doctors job? My point was don't moan about medical questions asked then leave replies on threads which are still medical related but just don't have a question involved, it's irrelevant.
  • The doctors didn't seem too shocked by my "instances". In fact they said nothing to suggest it was odd at all that I had shingles twice after having the chicken pox. If you read the comments made after that one, you'll see I've researched it all online and found information from very reliable websites such as the NHS website. What I wrote I didn't make up myself, was all personal experience and research.
  • Like this from the NHS site?
    "Is shingles contagious?
    It is not possible to catch shingles from someone else with the condition, or from someone with chickenpox.
    However, it is possible for someone who has never had chickenpox to catch it from someone with shingles, as the shingles blisters contains the live virus.
    "
    https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/causes.aspx

Just stop.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You can't catch shingles ok the wrong wording was used. But the dormant virus caused by the chicken pox is what causes shingles, it also says that on the site.
  • If you are unaware the NHS is what is known in the UK as the national Heath service I think we can safely safe what ever advise is produced on this site is trustworthy
  • Right. But the kids with chicken pox with whom you came into contact did not reactivate your dormant virus.

So, your entire first post was garbage. Hence my, "stop giving bad information."
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • They didn't have chicken pox, they had shingles which is what I said. And the blisters are contagious until they have scabbed over. I'm not making up my own personal experience, and I trust what happened to myself more than what you think is right or wrong anyway. I had chicken pox and shingles twice, end of story. It can happen whether you think you've got correct doctors information or not.
  • I'm sorry I misspoke when I said they had CP.
    You're not special. You didn't catch shingles from their shingles. End of story.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hahah oh my god, the members of this site hit new lows. Now I'm being told exactly what happened to my body by people who clearly know nothing about it. I think il trust my doctor over you about when I got shingles thankyou. Her diagnosis was a bit more legitimate than the one you are coming to.
  • You're right, your doctor supersedes all of the doctors and scientists at the CDC and NHS.
    I wasn't disputing you had shingles. You're just clearly confused on the transmission.
    This site has hit a new low when a headstrong nitwit can insist unchallenged that she's correct in spite of reputable sources being provided.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    edited January 2015
    My doctor works for the NHS so technically it was the NHS Who told me that...
  • Keep trying. It's cute.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't understand how you can say about where I got my information from when my health care provider is the NHS and I got the information from them. It doesn't make sense.
  • If you are from the UK you would know that the NHS is what everything medical related sits under. So any advice given is from trained medical professionals not some street corner hippy!!! All our medical care is given through the NHS! Not hard to understand!
  • I quoted the NHS site and provided a link. You're the ones disputing what it says.
    Like I said, keep trying.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You're disputing that what I've been told by my doctor is wrong though. If my doctor has told me that's why I had shingles twice after having chicken pox then it's obviously the reason why!
  • Yup. Your single doctor knows waaaaay more than all of those other doctors and scientists combined. I hope your doctor also sold you some swampland in Florida.
    American reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swampland_in_Florida

FWIW, I doubt your doctor gave you the bad information. I just think you're confused and now obstinate after being called out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not confused. Being told twice by two different doctors it'd be hard to get confused, especially when accompanied by follow up appointments. It hasn't been just one doctor, I saw diffErent ones for each bout of the virus. But yes, you're right. Il be sure to let them know the information they've given me is wrong and that they need to google it as that's where all the answers clearly are. Insulting really that you think our doctors would get it wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"