LGBT Parenting

IVF Success?

Hi everyone,

I was hoping I would get some responses to my questions bellows...

1.  What led you to IVF?

2.  How many IVF procedures before a pregnancy occurred?

3.  Were you diagnosed with any fertility issues?

4.  How many eggs did you opt to put back in after retrieval?

5.  How many babies did you end up with from one IVF?

Thank you all, I am new to the IVF process so I just wanted a few details from others who have went this route.

Wishing baby dust to everyone!

Re: IVF Success?

• 1. We decided to pursue IVF after 5 failed IUIs. We were paying OOP for everything, and with the cost of sperm and meds included had paid about $8k OOP for our 5 failed IUIs. We had one vial of sperm left. With met with our RE and she said well, you could do a 6th IUI and if it doesn't get you pregnant, you can buy more sperm and think about IVF... We thought about it and we would be using our last vial plus spending almost $2k on another medicated/monitored IUI cycle. Instead we could purchase an IVF package for $6500 plus the cost of meds and a few other odds and ends (came out to about $12k said and done including storage of our embies for 2 yrs) and use our last vial and hopefully never have to buy sperm again. We took the second option. We were feeling emotionally tired after 5 failed cycles and honestly, $$$ played about 75% of the decision for us. We didn't have unlimited funds for TTC and we knew we wanted (hopefully) 3 kiddos relatively close in age. IVF made sense for us, and we didn't have any hang ups about going that route, so we charged full steam ahead.

2. We got pregnant on our first fresh IVF cycle. Very lucky and fortunate!

3. Nope. My chart says unexplained infertility for the purpose of moving to IVF, but my RE has said that she doesn't necessarily know that applies to me. It was totally a numbers game for us, and we decided to be super aggressive instead of waiting to see if we would have a diagnosed fertility issue.

4. We put back 2 embryos in a fresh transfer. One stuck.

5. One bambino.

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • @KH826 Your story sounds like mine.  We have had 6 failed IUI's (I don't really count three of them) and are about $10,000 in the hole.  Everything seems to be working on me and the doctor says there is no reason that I should not be getting pregnant.  So we decided to move to IVF even though it was costly.  We only have two vials of sperm left and our donor is no longer donating.  The IVF cycle is costing us $8500.00 and then approximately $5000.00 for medication.  It is a stressful process but we are hoping it pays off.  Money has now become an issue because we have already poured so much into this process.  My insurance does not cover anything relating to fertility, not even diagnostic tests.  It gives me hope to know that other people's first IVF has worked.

• Loading the player...
  • I would highly reccomend the book IVF by Rebecca Matthews PHD.  After our first round of IVF failed I read this book and was able to tak to our RE on a whole new level. 

1. My wife did 12 IUI's, all that failed so we moved onto IVF.

2.  She had 2 BFN IVF cycles and got pregnant on her 3 IVF cycle with my eggs.

3.  After her 2nd failed IVF cycle we redid some tests that gave her a dx of low egg reserve at the age of 32!   It explains why we weren't getting pregnant.  Undergoing IVF is in itself a way for RE's to dx you with any fertility issues.  Her first IVFcycle we got 9 eggs and only 2 made it to transfer and her second cycle we got out 4 eggs and only 2 made it to transfer.  My first and only IVF cycle, I got 17 eggs and 14 made it to day 6.  Both of our pregnacies came from those eggs. And both worked the first try with my eggs.

4.  For her we always put back 2 because we had no kids and our view was 2 are better than none.  For this pregnancy, we only put back 1, cause 3 kids would make my eyes twitch and wallet cry.

5.  We got 1 baby from each succesful transfer.

I wish you sucess the first try. IVF can be a roller coaster ride.  My experience with IVF was very different than my wife's. 

• Thank you ladies for telling me your story:)

• 1.  What led you to IVF?

I knew I wanted to have my DW baby and reciprocal ivf was the way we had to go about it.

We were lucky, it took the first time. 5day fresh transfer.

No fertility issues on either side.

4.  How many eggs did you opt to put back in after retrieval? We transferred 1 and froze 3.

1 baby boy due in July.

Me~35 Wife~32
    Together 6 years
    Married 2014
    TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
    11/5-ER
    11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
    Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
    7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

• Himee33Himee33 member
    edited January 2015
    1. We had 3 failed IUI cycles. I wasn't ovulating correctly and the result was leaving huge painful cysts on my ovaries. Our RE said the chance of me getting pregnant was slim so we moved to IVF. There is also a state mandate in the state of Illinois that requires insurance companies to cover at least 4 IVF treatments for the first child and 2 IVF treatments for any child after that. We basically had hit our out of pocket max so we moved to IVF. Looking back now if I had to start all over I would have skipped the IUIs all together and moved straight to IVF.

2. We got pregnant on our first IVF cycle but resulted in a chemical. Our FET was canceled due to my lining and I'm currently 8w1d with IVF #3.

3. I just had irregular menstrual cycles, pcos and the start of endometriosis.

4. L and I always wanted to transfer 3. Our RE only did 2 the first cycle and agreed to transfer 3 for my last cycle but was only left with 2 good blastocysts to transfer.

5. Currently pregnant with a singleton.

ME-34  DW-28
    Together since 1-2012
    Married 9-24-2013
    Started TTC with RE January 2014.
    Open donor sperm

IUI #1 (1-31-14) Clomid + HCG Trigger=BFN
    IUI #2 (2-27-14) Gonal F + HCG trigger=BFN Benched for 2 weeks due to cysts. Placed on BCP
    IUI #3 (4-7-14) Gonal F + HCG trigger=BFN Benched for 3 weeks due to 6 cysts. Placed on BCP

IVF#1 Lupron 10iu, Menopur 150iu, Gonal F 400iu, HCG trigger
    ER#1 (6-3-14) 9 Eggs, 8 Fertilized, 
    ET#1 (6-8-14) 2 Day 5 Blastocysts transferred
    6-20-14 BFP 12dp5dt Beta 114.9
                          15dp5dt Beta 365
    Low progesterone start PIO/Crinone
    6-23-14 Ultrasound shows no sac. Beta dropped. Chemical.
    IVF#2 Menopur 150iu, Gonal F450iu, Ganirelix, Lupron trigger
    ER#2 8-13-14 7 Eggs, 3 Fertilized and frozen
    FET scheduled for 10-11-14
    FET Canceled due to thin lining

IVF #2  Fresh Cycle Scheduled for December 2014

• These stories give me hope:)
  • healz413healz413 member
    edited January 2015

1. What led you to IVF?

@Manada has diminished ovarian reserve and I have stage IV endometriosis that meant both of my fallopian tubes had to be removed. We did 7 IUIs with M that didn't work and IUIs weren't an option for me without tubes.

We got pregnant from our first full IVF cycle. We cancelled one cycle halfway through before that because my ovaries were under-responding to the stimming.

Yes, DOR for M and stage IV end for me.

We had 3 day 3 embryos when everything was said and done. (They retrieved 10 eggs from me but only 3 were mature and good and could be fertilized. All three made it to day 3 in great shape).

We put two embryos in last year into M's uterus and she got pregnant with twins. We lost those twins at 21 weeks.

We had one remaining frozen day 3 embryo and transferred that to my uterus on Dec. 19. We're currently 7 weeks pregnant on that.

We got two babies from our first transfer but we didn't get to take them home since they were born prematurely and passed away.

We are currently 7 weeks pregnant and are hoping that this one gets to keep growing for a long time and that we get to take them home.

****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Thank you all so much for your stories.  I am sorry about the heartaches along the way.
  • StacyLH24StacyLH24 member
    edited January 2015
    1. We attempted 8 IUI cycles and got one cp out of the process. Two cycles were cancelled because I over responded to the meds, making me an excellent candidate for IVF my RE said. We live 1.5 hours one way from our RE's office - the closest office to us. After the 8th cycle was cancelled, we were exhausted and decided to switch to IVF. In total, we've been at this for a year and a half now.

2. No pregnancy for me yet. I've done one fresh cycle and one frozen transfer and absolutely nada. My second fresh cycle will be complete on Thursday with my transfer.

3. I have endometriosis and had a uterine septum. The septum was corrected via surgery. The endo was burned but returned quickly after surgery.

4. We did two for the fresh and two for the frozen. Honestly, the jury is still out for us as to what will happen on Thursday. Two is the most I would ever transfer.

5. No baby/babies here.

Edit: words

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• edited January 2015

1.  What led you to IVF?

I was old, and ultimately had to have both fallopian tubes removed, negating any other option.

Due to my age, we opted to use donor eggs to increase our odds to 70% for a take-home baby. Younger, healthy eggs make a huge difference! We were not sad about this decision but it did cost more money for the donor eggs.

DOR due to age, and no tubes.

We are both very strong believers in only ever transferring 1 embryo, particularly if they are good quality. While putting in more may make sense if you have lower quality embryos, if they look good, it doesn't increase chance of pregnancy, just the chance of multiples. Our RE said in the case of our embies, she would never allow for more than 1.

We got 19 eggs, 14 mature, 11 fertilized and 4 ended up viable embryos. We had a pregnancy with our fresh transfer but also suffered a second trimester loss unrelated to the baby (blood clot in the umbilical cord). Then a chemical pregnancy; then a BFN. Embryo #4 ended up being our take-home baby Simone! Had we not had the freak umbilical cord failure (1 in 1000), we likely would have had 2 take-home babies...but in then end, we got one baby from 4 embryos and we are very grateful for that!!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• edited January 2015

*infant loss mentioned*

1.  What led you to IVF? After 9 failed IUIs over a year and a half, we were exhausted and losing hope that any IUI would work.  My RE recommended moving on to IUIs with injectables or IVF.  Given that my insurance would cover IVF, IVF had a higher success rate, and injects IUIs have a higher risk of multiples, we went with IVF.

2.  How many IVF procedures before a pregnancy occurred?  One to achieve pregnancy/three to get a take-home baby.  We did one egg retrieval, which yielded 22 eggs.  17 fertilized; we ended up with 6 good embryos.  We froze 5 and transferred 1.  That cycle was a BFP but ended in miscarriage.  We then did a FET which was a BFP and ended in miscarriage.  Our second FET resulted in our son.

3.  Were you diagnosed with any fertility issues? Nope.  It's possible I have unexplained infertility, but my RE didn't really believe that dx could be made unless I had 12 failed cycles.

4.  How many eggs did you opt to put back in after retrieval?  All three times we only put back one.  We were pretty committed to single embryo transfers.  Although we did want two kids, we did not want twins due to the increased risks of the pregnancy and the cost of daycare for two infants in our area.  I also have a good friend who transferred 2, both took, 1 split, and she ended up with triplets.  They were extremely premature and one of them only lived for a week.  So frankly the idea of transferring 2 scared me!  We did plan on transferring 2 for our last FET, since at that point we felt that a high percentage of my embryos may not have been viable.  When one of the 2 we thawed didn't thaw properly, we chose to just transfer the 1 rather than thaw another.  I am SO glad we made that decision, since that 1 was our son.

5.  How many babies did you end up with from one IVF? One.

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi!

1. We got to IVF after 4 failed IUIs hat were all monitored, medicated and triggered with 2 vials. Plus, our sperm counts were dropping every time and we also were burning through the vials. We knew we didn't have many chances left if we kept on the IUI route.

I can talk to you more about our incredible RE office. They are one of the best in tr nation, though it is really an accident we found them. We have deep, deep respect for their ability.

2. First IVF got us a pregnancy and baby.

3. No fertility issues at all. All tests looked good.

4. We don't have a choice: 18 eggs, less than half mature, fewer yet fertilized (IVSI'd), only two were available to transfer. We put them both in.

5. One baby. And darn good we got her. There were no eggs frozen and that was our "once in a lifetime" insurance covered IVF.

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• I love all these stories. I pray that the first IvF takes. I don't have any fertility issues physically so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We just paid te doctor for this IvF cycle and have completed depleted our bank reserve so if this does not work we won't be able to try again for a really long time and that's scary!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"