Breastfeeding

Pumping at work

I still have 4 1/2 months until LO is here, but plan to breastfeed (If my breasts actually cooperate this time). When I go back to work I will plan to pump as well. My problem is this, I work with mostly men and I've been racking my brain where I can pump in the building. I suppose if I have to I can use the restroom, but it is a public restroom and it's not ideal. I can't imagine doing it in my car because I have such a public parking lot. Any suggestions? TIA

Best Answers

Re: Pumping at work

• Loading the player...
  • vvvvvfee said:
    federal law requires employers to provide time and a space (that is NOT a restroom) for BFing moms to pump. so your employer will have to come up with a suitable space for you.

is there an office or meeting room in your workplace that is only used during part of the day?

I didn't know that!!!!!! We do have a conference, but it is used ALL the time and it's full of windows :( But I will check with HR. Thanks!
  • vvvvvfee said:

federal law requires employers to provide time and a space (that is NOT a restroom) for BFing moms to pump. so your employer will have to come up with a suitable space for you.

is there an office or meeting room in your workplace that is only used during part of the day?

The federal law you referenced here applies only to hourly workers, not salaried workers.

I believe that the federal coverage for salaried workers is similar to FMLA...The company needs to have X amount of employees, etc. I know plenty of women who have pumped in their cars because that felt more comfortable for them. If you are salaried the amount of time you are away shouldn't be an issue...you can just get in early or stay late to make it up. As long as your work is getting done you can't be fired for taking pumping breaks.
  • Our company converted a huge walk in closet to the "mothers lounge." They filled it with a leather love seat, mirror, radio, table, fridge and a lockable door with an "in use" slider. We had 100s of employees so I'm sure that was part of it.

But if you are a larger office or even if your HR just wants to be awesome a big closet is a good option to suggest.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• vvvvvfeevvvvvfee member
    edited January 2015
    thanks for clarifying, @delujm0.

many states also have their own laws that require that employers provide a (non-bathroom) place for employees to pump. you can check the list here:
    https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

(i live in one such state, which is why i hadn't read the particulars of the federal requirements too carefully.)
  • edited January 2015

Twenty-nine states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws. (Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.)

Can anyone clarify this????????????

Edited - Nevermind - I read further on the website :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"