July 2015 Moms
Options

Gala / Granny Smith apples-Listeria warning

LilPezLilPez member
edited January 2015 in July 2015 Moms
i don't know if anyone has shared this here or not, but since I float between here and August, I thought I'd share here also.

https://abc7chicago.com/food/granny-smith-gala-apples-recalled-due-to-listeria-monocytogenes/482955/

Someone pointed out its only one grower, but I'll play it safe anyhow.

Re: Gala / Granny Smith apples-Listeria warning

• Options
    :( those are my favorite
            DD~July 14, 2015

• Options
    I know, I have one in my lunch bag and some at home for DS. He will not be getting them now though!
    I really wanted honey crisps, but they didn't have any at the store ;(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks for posting! i have some granny smiths at home i need to check on.

i'd heard a couple of days ago about a listeria warning for prepackaged caramel apples, but i didn't realize they had expanded it to regular apples as well.

• Options
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    gotdiesel2007gotdiesel2007 member
    edited January 2015
    Of course just bought some this morning
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    Will the sticker on my apple tell me the grower or do I need to call the store?
  • Options
    One of the August moms found out this ifo, so you may be okay!:

Per this article, the last time Bidart Bros shipped apples to a supplier was Dec 2, 2014. The big concern is apples that may have been frozen or processed (ie caramel apples). Still good to check your supplier, but this should give some reassurance on your fresh produce.
  • Options
    I have also recently been eating Granny Smith apples (so much for trying to eat more fruit!) I called the local grocery store where they were purchased and they informed me they don't show a recall on any of their products...I'm wondering if this is accurate or if they could have been distributed by Bidart Bros anyway? They are all going in the trash now but would love to know if I've been exposed...
  • Options
    Is this just in America or all over
  • Options
    Damn you Listeria!!! Hope everyone's safe, just seeing this post and finished some fuji apples this week, thank goodness they were on sale :wink:
  • Options
    I love honey crisp apples! However we just ate granny smith the other day, and I sure wont be buying them anymore!
  • Options
    OMG I have been craving Granny Smiths my whole pregnancy and had the stomach bug at the beginning of this week. Scary!!
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Currently eating an apple as I'm browsing the boards...crap haha. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    DH bought me a gala last week to eat and I'm in Missouri. Guess I'm good, though, no stomach problems recently.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"