Breastfeeding
Options

Breast pump through insurance

Hi ladies. I've kinda been lurking trying to learn from y'all and I'm sure this won't be my last question. This is still early as I am not due until early July, but...I plan on breastfeeding and pumping when I go back to work, most likely after 6 weeks, unfortunately. My insurance covers all or most of a breast pump. Does anyone have any experience with how early to submit a request for one? I know some things happen quite fast and some things have a lot of red tape to get through. I don't want to do it too late but I also don't want to be that person that tries to take care of it ridiculously early.

Re: Breast pump through insurance

• Options
    Through my insurance I was able to order mine 30 days before my due date. I had the option to order it from approved pharmacies (target was one) or a medical supply website. And I had different pump options at both.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Only your insurance company can tell you that. Check with them.
    Some companies let you order ahead of time (with mine it had to be after 28w gestation) but i've seen with some people on here that they couldn't get a pump until after the baby was born.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cool, that sounds great. I know I have quite a few medical supply websites to choose from. Thanks so much for the help!
  • Options
    I used babies rus free service. They order the pump for you. My insurance co was a pain. They told me at one point that the pump wasn't covered. But it was. Babies rus service did all of the work.

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• Options
    I went back at 6 weeks as well and though i waited until back to work to look into it ours covers 100% of a standard pump. i contacted insurance to see which supply company was IN NETWORK! Be sure whoever you use is otherwise the pump wont be covered. Make sure you apply at the 30 days before do or right around due date. it takes a couple weeks to get to you. i foolishly waited and now i have to tote my pump around ( a friend kindly gave us hers) until the other comes in so i have one for work and home. Also once they give you the name of a supply company make sure you ask that company what they consider standard!
  • Options
    My nurse midwife actually ordered the pump for me through my insurance. I got it a couple of months before I was due.
  • Options
    I called my insurance company when I was like 30 weeks. They directed me on how to pick one out and order it. I ordered it that day, but they wouldn't ship until 30 days before my due date.  I would just call and see what the process is. 

With my older DD, I bought one and was reimbursed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"