October 2014 Moms
Options

neglect?

edited January 2015 in October 2014 Moms
This story is in the news right now and I wanted to see what you lady's think. A 6 year old and 10 year old walked home from a park that was a mile from their house. The parents are now being threatened with neglect charges. What do you think?

neglect? 129 votes

Neglect! those kids are in danger!
7% 10 votes
Not neglect. It's the parents' choice.
83% 108 votes
SS
8% 11 votes

Re: neglect?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't read the story so I don't know the surrounding circumstances.

If I was with my kids I would absolutely walk with them a mile to and from the park.

6 and 10 are a bit young IMO to be walking that far alone. But do I consider it neglect if a different parent would allow it? Not really.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Damn, a mile is pretty far...that's all I'm thinking.
  • Options
    I think a mile is quite a ways for such young kids, but it depends on the area.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    I don't think it's neglect. I don't think it's a very good idea nowadays. I feel like a little old lady but back when I was a youngin this was the norm. I remember walking to school when I was about 8-9 with my friend who was 2 years younger than me. Now I see the bus stop every 100 feet to pick up kids at their driveways, where there parents are standing with them. I don't live in a "dangerous" area. It's just the way the world has changed.
  • Options
    My boys are 11 and 6, they walk home from school (during nice weather) with another 11 and 7 year old. I don't think it is neglect!
  • Options
    Dangerous area? Cold? Properly dressed/shoes? Were they dehydrated or malnourished?
    Excessive punishment if none of the above. And random because that can't be uncommon...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was born in Miami when Adam Walsh was kidnapped (why we have code Adam) so my parents were super vigilant. But then we moved to the sticks and they threw caution to the wind.

I look back on this and think of all the danger that we could have been in in rural America.

All this to say. I don't think it is neglect but we don't live in the good ole days.
  • Options

Not neglect. But not smart at all, doesn't matter the neighborhood nowadays, sadly... :(

This.

image         image

• Options
    I think this is tough to say neglect. I wouldn't let my 10 year old do this but our neighbor across the street would be responsible enough. I think each kid is different in what is appropriate for them. If they start saying this is neglect, then what are the rules? Can a 12 year old do it but an 11 year old can't? Can they walk home from school alone? Can they go to this park but that park is too far? Can they walk alone in this city but not that city? If there is a 10 year old on their family's farm that is 2 Sq miles, is that OK because they are still on their property or is that too far from their house? I think it opens a whole can of worms where the government then has to decide rules across the board that may not fit in every situation.
  • Options

Damn, a mile is pretty far...that's all I'm thinking.

I think a mile is quite a ways for such young kids, but it depends on the area.

My dd will go to junior high when she is 11 and they don't bus if you live within a mile or two. I don't know what the exact cut off is. I remember my junior high was 1.5 miles and kids walked and still do. My dh won't be letting our kids walk, but lots of parents do.

Not neglect. But not smart at all, doesn't matter the neighborhood nowadays, sadly... :(

This is so true! There is crime in all neighborhoods. There is a child sex offender that lives in our neighborhood with his family and we live in a nice neighborhood.
  • Options
    A mile is not that far...I had a paper route when I was 10, that I did myself. My parents only helped me out when it rained. I can't imagine being in trouble for walking home from a park that is so close to home. Don't kids walk their dogs around the hood too?
  • Options
    When I was in elementary school my bus stop was at least a half mile away and on a busy main road. I used to walk everywhere, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone.

I don't think this is neglect. I just think it's a shame that our society has gotten to the point where its considered unsafe for a kid to walk to/from the park. At that rate is it neglect to let them play at the park alone too?

• Options

I don't think it's neglect. I don't think it's a very good idea nowadays. I feel like a little old lady but back when I was a youngin this was the norm. I remember walking to school when I was about 8-9 with my friend who was 2 years younger than me. Now I see the bus stop every 100 feet to pick up kids at their driveways, where there parents are standing with them. I don't live in a "dangerous" area. It's just the way the world has changed.
    When we were kids, bus services were only free for public school if you lived over 2 miles away. Otherwise you were expected to walk. I was babysitting other kids at 11!
    This too. When I was 10/11 I was babysitting my older sister who is intellectually disabled. I was responsible for getting her off the bus, making her and myself snack and just taking care of her until my parents got home a few hours later. As I got older I was also responsible for making us dinner. Neglect? I don't think so. All of my friends were also home alone at that age. Most people I know even don't let their kids stay home alone at that age, never mind babysitting! 
  • Options
    DD walks a mile to school by herself, but there are many other kids and parents in the neighborhood taking the same route, so she really isn't alone. I would feel differently if she and the little girl across the street were going by themselves to the playground at the school on a weekend.

Same distance, same location, but oddly totally different situations in my head. I trust DD, but I don't trust other people. Also, I'm paranoid.

But not neglect, no.
  • Options

I live in BFE but I think this is nuts. Echoing PPs, our school buses won't pick you up unless you live at least a mile from the school (we don't). I walked home from school every day from kindergarten on as we lived about 7 blocks away.

I also started babysitting at 11.

The world has gone crazy #wherearemyteeth #getoffmylawn

• Options
    @FamousEa‌ that's horrible!!! Thank goodness for the kids knowing stranger danger.
  • Options

DD walks a mile to school by herself, but there are many other kids and parents in the neighborhood taking the same route, so she really isn't alone. I would feel differently if she and the little girl across the street were going by themselves to the playground at the school on a weekend.

Same distance, same location, but oddly totally different situations in my head. I trust DD, but I don't trust other people. Also, I'm paranoid.

But not neglect, no.

I totally agree with this. I understand what you mean by it being a different situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"