May 2015 Moms
Options

What's the best material for burp cloths?

FreddyisReadyFreddyisReady member
edited January 2015 in May 2015 Moms
Cuz I'm making my own, yo.

What's the best material for burp cloths? 45 votes

Flannel
31% 14 votes
Terry Cloth
33% 15 votes
Chenille
4% 2 votes
SS
31% 14 votes

Re: What's the best material for burp cloths?

• Options
    I voted flannel, because That is what I used on mine. I am a FTM though, I have no idea how these will hold up.
  • Options
    I voted flannel because I am going to make my own out of that too...using plain white prefolds And sewing flannel to the other side.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My favorites are cotton on one side, minky on the other. So soft on baby's skin.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    tiggyt said:

Diaper! Whatever it is cloth diapers are made of. They're really absorbent in case your baby has the liquidy spit-up.

This!!! We use cloth diapers as our burp rags and they are super absorbent. I already have ten of these suckers lined up for duty!
  • Options
    A friend of mine made terry cloth ones when I had my DD. They were great.
  • Options
    annerz22 said:

Gerber cloth diapers. They are super cheap and come in packs of 8. They are really absorbent and they wash well.

DS1 was the exorcist so eventually we moved on to using beach towels!

+1

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Options
    I was told cloth diapers make the best burp cloths.... but I have no personal experience.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Cloth diapers all the way!!! They are super absorbent. They cover your whole shoulder. I wouldn't use anything else.
  • Options
    I love swaddle designs burp clothes. They definitely soak up really well.

imageimage

• Options
    Cloth diapers are amazing. And after the baby is done with them they make great cleaning rags for around the house.
  • Options
    Definitely only used the gerber cloth diapers. They are the best! If anything, I'd get those then sew cute flannel on one side so it's even softer on the face, but you still have the white side to wipe up the bulk.

Dd is 2 and I still use them when she has a super runny nose, way better than tissues.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You could do ones like this... They are super cute and easy to make. image
    Mother to Joelle (13), Jaxen (3) and Jayla (due 5/6)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    One of my friends made me those ^^^.
    -----
    DS1:15 
    DS2: 8
    DS3: 2
    Due May 2015 with twin GIRLS!

• Options
    sml72978 said:

Those are cute, but idk how functional they are. The cotton wouldn't seem to be very absorbent.

I'll think about the cloth diapers. Maybe I'll back some with flannel, so we can tell the difference between our cloth diapers and burp cloths.

Hell, maybe I'll make a couple of each option.
  • Options

sml72978 said:

Those are cute, but idk how functional they are. The cotton wouldn't seem to be very absorbent.

I'll think about the cloth diapers. Maybe I'll back some with flannel, so we can tell the difference between our cloth diapers and burp cloths.

Hell, maybe I'll make a couple of each option.
    They are the gerber cloth diapers kinda embellished. I want to make these too but I would use flannel for the accent fabric. They have some nice designs in flannel now. I agree cotton wouldn't be so functional on it.
    Mother to Joelle (13), Jaxen (3) and Jayla (due 5/6)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that cloth diapers are the best but DD had bad reflux and would throw up a lot after feedings so I ended up using those cheap flannel receiving blankets as burp cloths for awhile.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've made some in the past for people that were flannel on one side and terry cloth on the other. I assume they worked ok. I didn't get any complaints..
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestion of using diaper cloths as burp cloths! I really don't need them to be pretty. I added some to my registry!
  • Options
    I used my Gerber prefolded diaps like crazy! Burp cloths, spill wipes, and sometimes I would fold it into a very loose diaper when he had a bad diaper rash, but you need pins to do that.
  • Options
    I had an Aidan & Anais swaddle blanket that somehow got a hole in it, so I cut it up the size of the Gerber cloth diapers and backed them with the swaddle blanket. In my experience the Gerber ones are best so I would use those as my base for sewing.
    BabyFetus Ticker

So excited for Baby #4!
  • Options
    There is nothing better than cloth diapers as burp clothes! 

~Mama to two daughters and baby #3 coming soon~
  • Options
    I am using a pattern from this page to make mine:

https://www.thesweetersideofmommyhood.com/blog/gifts/2014/01/diy-coordinating-newborn-gift-set/

And I am using cloth diapers instead of the terry cloth for the one side and flannel on the other.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yup, Gerber cloth diapers. I wouldn't bother with anything else. I had people make me flannel ones (thoughtful) but they are just not even functional compared to the Gerber.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"