December 2014 Moms
Options

sleeping 6+ hours at night

I just woke up my 6 week old as it had reached 6.5hours since he last feed and around 7.5 hours since I lasted expressed (DH feeds him a bottle at night for me of expressed milk).
He had his 6 week vaccinations a few days ago which might account for the sleeping but I am a bit worried about how this long sleeping might affect my milk supply. this is not the first night either.
I of course love the extra sleep so am in two minds about it but are there other babies around the same age who have gone from around 3-4 hour stretches at night to 6hr + ?
Strangelymy boobs weren't painfully full either after this long period which they would have been a few weeks ago. I'm hoping this is all just a normal change? my baby is having no trouble putting on weight and we have tonnes of wet nappies.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: sleeping 6+ hours at night

• Options
    I am experiencing this too. For the last 5 nights my baby girl has slept 5.5-6.5 hours. So far the only downside is me waking up with engorged breasts and her not emptying them all the way! (thank goodness for pumps!) She still seems happy and not like she is starving. She is gaining weight too. She is 5w4d.I know we are gearing up for the 6 week growth spurt so I think the long night sleep may change again.
    If you are worried about your supply maybe you can pump in the middle of the night, however I feel much more refreshed with this extra sleep. Makes me feel like a better wife and mother!
  • Options
    My lo (6 weeks old) regularly sleeps that long.  Sometimes she'll do it twice in one day!  Your body will adjust but, like AmyG said, don't let it go TOO long.  

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    6.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep sounds amazing! :-). I am hoping my 4 week old starts sleeping longer blocks soon.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to 6+ hour stretches!
    Me: 32, DH:33, Married: 8/30/2008, TTC since: 10/1/2012
    DX: Me - DOR & tubal issues, DH: none. 
    June 2004: Ectopic pregnancy with DH while dating
    October & November 2013: IUI #1 & 2 - BFN
    December 2013:Taking a break, trying on our own.
    January 2014: BFP!!!! Ectopic pregnancy ruptured at 6wks1day. Left Fallopian tube removed. Noted during surgery the right Fallopian tube is severely damaged from 2004 ectopic pregnancy.
    April 8 2014: IVF#1 w/ISCI: 10 received, 5 mature, 3 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of all three embies.
    April 22, 2014: BFP! beta #1: 80 beta #2: 211 One nugget! 
    January 6, 2015: Adeline Marguerite is here!!

image image

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My baby is 8weeks old but has been trying to sleep like that since day one. Of course I woke her (or attempted to) every 3 hrs in the beginning problem was she was so lazy she wouldn't nurse well-so I ended up pumping in the middle of the night, then woke and fed her. Once the pedi gave me the go ahead to let her sleep through the night-she would go 6-7 hours! I worried about it but eventually just started waking her around 6 hrs, feeding her pumped milk and letting her go back to sleep. I sill do this now. I wake up and pump around 4 hrs. Then wake her around 6 hrs. Then she will wake and nurse for next feeding.
    Can't complain about her sleeping so well-but I of course find reason to worry no Matter what. She's sleeping too little -too much-how many hours since she ate last. Etc etc etc. always a reason for me to worry. But she's gaining and peeing and pooping. 2momth checkup this week so we will see!
  • Options
    With DS#1 he started sleeping about 10 hrs straight at 8 weeks and I never had any supply issues. DS#2 usually has a 5-6 hour stretch from 8-2 then 3-4 hrs after that. It all depends on your supply and body. I'm more of an over supply girl rather than under supply so for me it wouldn't be an issue.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My LO is 5w2d and been sleeping 5-6.5 hours a night for almost 2 weeks now. It's amazing. I just pump right before I go to bed (usually same time as baby goes down -11pm-ish-) and pump again as soon as he wakes up while Im feeding him. (I EP right now) I've had no decrease in supply whatsoever, just very full in the morning but not painfully. You should have no reason to wake sooner to pump. If LO sleeps that long during the day, I'd just add a pump session in the middle of his stretch of sleep.
  • Options
    When my LO was 2 weeks she was sleeping through the night and the doctor gave us the okay to let her sleep. However, after that she stopped sleeping that much. If she goes over three hours she will just eat from one boob and I will pump the other but yeah it would be way too uncomfortable to go longer than that.
  • Options
    Thank u. It helps to hear there are other babies  that are doing the same.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I too am jealous of getting so much sleep! But I suppose we will get there eventually. I just wish my almost 5wk old would get on some kind of routine. Some days she goes 3ish hours between feedings, some days 2hrs, some days 1hr. She is the same way in the daytime & night. Yesterday it seemed like we weren't giving her enough ounces in her bottle (I mailny pump & feed by bottle) so made bottles 1 more oz and today she isn't even eating what she was before. I'm confused & it is hard to predict when I'm safe to take a shower or pump, etc. Obviously my daughter didn't get my anal personality of planning ahead, doing things on a schedule, etc. Nor my love of sleep! Ha!
  • Options
    My older daughter started sleeping 7-9 hours at night around 7 weeks and by the time she was 5 months it was more like 9-12 hours and I was EBF. My supply was never impacted and after the first few nights, it didn't even hurt anymore. Your body will adjust. This LO has slept 7 hours a couple of times but she's still not consistent at 5 weeks.
  • Options
    kc295905 said:

Ahh my 6 week old is still eating every 2-3 hours every night . And with the 6 week growth spurt every 30-60 min during the day it feels like. So jealous.

Yep. This.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• Options
    My dd has been sleeping 8-10 hrs since 4 weeks. I pump before bed and when I wake up. I still get engorged in the mornings even though she's almost 10 weeks now. My older dd started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks, and I also had zero supply issues. My only concern with them sleeping that much was weight gain, but they remained consistent at the percentile they were born. Both girls cluster fed like crazy in the evening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"