August 2015 Moms
Options

Leggings and Dresses

Lois172000Lois172000 member
edited January 2015 in August 2015 Moms
Two part question
For those who wear leggings: I've been on team "Leggings are not pants" for too long.
In the name of comfort I'm rethinking my stance. Where can you find good leggings? I'm nervous to even try. I have an hour glass shape with some pretty big hips :( I'm usually a 12, pushing 14 now at 12 weeks.

Maxi Dresses- Why did I not find these before last year? I bought several last summer. Wondering if once I have a big round bump my existing dresses will work or if I'm going to stretch them out and should invest in maternity ones? Any round two-ers rock regular maxi dresses?

As you can probably infer I'm semi conscious about not making myself look like a whale. I'm on the upside of average.

To try or not so much.

Re: Leggings and Dresses

• Options
    I actually like old navy leggings. I wear their yoga pants (slim, not boot cut) as leggings with long sweaters, boyfriend cardis, and long button downs with boots. Def agree to cover the butt.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love leggings! I think they are ok to wear with a longer flowy top as long as you make sure they are a thicker fabric. I've gotten a couple of good pairs at Macy's. I think as long they aren't too thin and fit well you should be fine :)
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with leggings IMO as long as they aren't worn as pants. I don't care what size you are-leggings are not pants (unless you buy leggings in which are not leggings). The gap has good ones.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    And I could not live without maxi dresses... Def how I plan to make it through this summer
  • Options
    I'm ok with leggings if they are actually leggings (very thick material) and not tights.  Your behind should be completely covered + some inches also in my opinion.  

I rocked non maternity maxi dresses last pregnancy pretty much the whole time, it's most of what I wore.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• Options
    I buy skinny-pants instead of actual leggings for the see through factor, because although I wear tops that cover my butt, you can't 100% control always making sure your shirt is in place. I also like having pockets (or at least the texture/illusion of pockets) because then I don't feel like I'm in pajamas. I wear leggings occasionally, but not anywhere that I have to dress formally or professionally.

Favorite brands - Paige & Not Your Daughters Jeans (for these pants only, hate their jeans!). I shop Nordstrom Rack a lot, and you can always find deals.

As far as maternity, I bought 2 pairs from Destination Maternity and I hate them. The fabric is horrible, and one pair came with rips in the seam. I'm waiting to actually start showing before I buy another pair, and will shop in-store instead of online.

Maxi dresses - I'd see how it goes, and if you can wear them without stretching them too much, great! I have a few that I'm planning on wearing for as long as I can, but I know they probably won't last long before the front is way shorter than the back. At 5'2" though, everything is long on me already, so I may have more leeway than taller people.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I bought a bunch from Meijer that fit great for my fat butt.  (size 16)  They are XL and I've been impressed.  I only wear leggings though with dresses and usually boots in the winter. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @vtgoodspeed - You just reminded me that I totally wear leggings under dresses too. I have a couple pairs that I have zero clue where they're from, but knowing me, it's Target/Old Navy/NordstromRack.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hey there! I was also about the leggings are not pants thing lol. I gave in though to the bloat! I got great fleece lined leggings from motherhood maternity because it's cold where I am! I still like to have my bum covered when I wear them them and especially if I'm going to get away with them at work so long baby doll maternity tops are a great option to pair with the leggings. Think us preggers have an excuse to bend the leggings are not pants rule a bit ;) good luck!
  • Options
    For my last pregnancy, I bought some leggings at Destination Maternity that I really loved. I definitely only wear them with tunics/dresses that are long enough to be worn without tights. I love how maxi dresses look but am way too short to wear them so I just end up looking ridiculous.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Options
    I'm in the "leggings are not pants" camp, but I am also boycotting actual pants. So I've been wearing a lot of sweater dresses with leggings. I can't wait for spring when I can wear maxi dresses and cotton skirts.

My mom got me awesome leggings and a wonderful long sweater wrap from Macy's. The leggings are by a brand called Hue and they are really more like skinny pants but with no buttons!
  • Options
    I wore regular maxi dresses through my first pregnancy but it really depends on the design and fabric. Towards the end the font got super short! :P
  • Options
    I bought tons of leggings online. They're fleece on the inside and soooo comfortable! They were a deal on groupon.

Since they are fleece they are not see through. And I wear long shirts over them.

I'm 5'2" 110lbs but all my pants don't fit anymore since I'm so bloated. So instead of spending money on new pants during this in between time, leggings seem more sensible.
    *Aug '15 Siggy Challenge - Mean Girl*
    image    image
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My 2 boys ages 8 & 10
    BFP#3 EDD 8/19/2015
    mc @ 7wks 4/2014

Me 31 H 33

• Options
    I wore regular tanks and t-shirts sized up during my first two pgs. They stretched out, but they were chap ones from H&M and target, so not a big deal. I would think maxi dresses are loose already, so you would wear them for while without them getting misshapen.

American Apparel has good leggings. Leggings are fine w tunics, and perfect for shortish dresses.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I am a leggings snob. I love them! That being said I will only wear lululemon because they're not see through at all. I wear them all year long and am rocking them in pregnancy too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I live in my fleece lined leggings. Target had really cute ones in different colors and patterns. Also I'm really tall and was shocked at how great they fit. They are not too tight and I will probably get to wear them through the entire winter given how much stretch they have in the waist.
  • Options
    Blanqi.com, preggoleggings.com :)
    DS April 2013
    Baby #2 due August 2015

• Options
    I love leggings! With dresses or tunics that cover butt and crotch. I am size 14; XL usually fits (or XXL from Welovefine), size 12 from lululemon also fits. My favorite maternity leggings are Loved by Heidi Klum. If you like geeky prints, Her Universe leggings are decent but tight in the leg. GoldBubbleClothing has amazing leggings with a comfy high waist. WeLoveFine has a lower waist so they fall down, somewhat annoying but they are cheaper.
  • Options
    Lululemon is super expensive, but if you can invest in a pair of their leggings, I HIGHLY recommend. I just bought a pair of the "high times" yoga leggings in a size bigger than I usually buy, and they are seriously HEAVENLY. I have worn them basically every minute I'm not at work. They're nice and thick and also high rise. I'm 11 weeks, and with a size up, I'll be rocking these for a looooong time (the employees said I potentially could throughout the entire pregnancy, but we'll see!).
  • Options

I have to argue that leggings are pants when you wear exercise ones that aren't see through. That's what I mostly wear when I teach dance.

This would fall under exception to the typical "Leggings aren't pants philosophy". :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"