3rd Trimester

Weight gain and feeling huge! 27 weeks today.

Hi all!! Today marks the start of the 3rd trimester for me. Yay!! But I had to ask, anyone else at this same point feel huge?! Thinking about the fact that I have another 13 weeks to go, I feel like I look like I should be giving birth any day now. LOL. 

In terms of weight gain, I know I shouldn't worry, but I do a little. My midwives don't seem concerned, so that is good, but I wanted to hear from some others that I am not alone. I started at 196 (5'9") and lost 10 lbs in the first trimester because I felt so nauseous. I gained a few pounds back before I got in the 2nd trimester. Today, at 27 weeks and starting the 3rd trimester, I've already gained 24 lbs! I am hoping based off things I have read that the weight gain will trickle off in the 3rd trimester. I don't feel like I am getting "fat" because I am still wearing the same size jeans as when I started, same size tops, and I am not really swollen in any areas. I am thinking it's all in my belly. Which makes me think I may be having a big baby! LOL

Thoughts?

Re: Weight gain and feeling huge! 27 weeks today.

• Huh? Sorry I'm having a hard time reading this.
    If your midwife isn't concerned you shouldn't be either. LOL
  • Thoughts?
    I think you should listen to your midwife...  :-/
    ~
    Married May 18, 2013
    Expecting our first child April 3, 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Listen to your midwife.
  • Everyone is different. If you lost 10 and gained back 24, then you have a net gain of 14 lbs. That is on the low end for 27 weeks. If you're eating healthy and exercising, don't even bother knowing the number on the scale. It's irrelevant if you are taking care of yourself.

What reasons do you have to believe you are carrying a larger than average baby? Is your fundal height measuring larger than expected? Have your midwives said the baby feels large? You can't tell anything about the baby's size based on how much weight you gain as the vast majority of weight gained in pregnancy is from fluid, blood, placenta, uterus, etc. and not the baby at all. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree with PP.  If your midwives are not concerned, you shouldn't be either.  And, every woman and every pregnancy is different.

As a FTM at 32 weeks, I do feel huge a majority of the time and can't imagine getting any larger, but I know I will.  I think I've felt that way since I really started showing which was probably around the 21-22 week mark.  I think it's helpful to remind yourself that your weight gain is all for baby and that as long as you're eating right and take care of yourself after delivery, you'll likely go back to your starting weight.  
    Me:  28  DH:  33
    Married:  10/04/2014
    DD1:  03/02/15
    DD2:  08/04/16
    Baby 3 Due:  11/23/18!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi all!! Today marks the start of the 3rd trimester for me. Yay!! But I had to ask, anyone else at this same point feel huge?! Thinking about the fact that I have another 13 weeks to go, I feel like I look like I should be giving birth any day now. LOL. 

In terms of weight gain, I know I shouldn't worry, but I do a little. My midwives don't seem concerned, so that is good, but I wanted to hear from some others that I am not alone. I started at 196 (5'9") and lost 10 lbs in the first trimester because I felt so nauseous. I gained a few pounds back before I got in the 2nd trimester. Today, at 27 weeks and starting the 3rd trimester, I've already gained 24 lbs! I am hoping based off things I have read that the weight gain will trickle off in the 3rd trimester. I don't feel like I am getting "fat" because I am still wearing the same size jeans as when I started, same size tops, and I am not really swollen in any areas. I am thinking it's all in my belly. Which makes me think I may be having a big baby! LOL

Thoughts?
    ::Humblebrag:: 
  • Don't borrow trouble. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy and listen to your midwife.
  • I can understand feeling huge. I certainly do. But 24 pounds at 27 weeks is not that much. Just remember you are gaining weight for a reason and you have the opportunity to lose it all once you give birth. Weight is just weight. Eat healthy and exercise as much as you can and you won't have a problem.

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"