Third-Party Reproduction
Options

Has anyone breastfeed after using a surrogate?

I know my surrogate would like me to try to bf since she knows it is best for the baby.  Has anyone on here tried to start BF even though they used a surrogate?  I would love to hear your thoughts and how it went if you did.  TIA

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

Re: Has anyone breastfeed after using a surrogate?

• Options
    I looked into it, but decided against it.
    It is tougher to do in the US than in Canada because one of the drugs used is not available in the US.

For me, I had put my body through 5 rounds of IVF and just didn't have it in me to go through another hormone roller coaster.

There used to be a check-in on LGBT board, so you might try there.

Good luck finding the best option for your family!

TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• Options
    There are a handful of women who did this on the LGBT board so both moms could bf. If you go there and search for induced lactation son threads will come up. Its quite an intense protocol using bcps, domperidone (hard but not impossible to get) and pumping every 2 hours 24x7 for months before birth...but most say it was totally worth it!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just had our first baby via surrogate in November. I tried to induce lactation, but if you can't get your hands on Domperidone, you will most likely not be successful. It is a drug that is not FDA approved for the US but can be ordered via online pharmacies with a prescription. My doctor was not willing to write me that prescription, so I did everything else but take the drug - stayed on birth control with the placebo pills for a few months, then went off of birth control completely, ate oatmeal everyday, took Fenugreek supplements, and pumped every 3 hours 24/7. I did this for over a month and only got a drop each time. Ultimately, I decided to give up because trying to pump every 3 hours and take care of a newborn just wasn't worth it for me. I am happy I tried though because I know that I did everything I could (personally) to breastfeed my baby. 

On a side note, if you decide to purse this, most everyone will refer you to asklenore.com. That is the 'Gold Standard" for induced lactation. I also have a ton of Fenugreek supplements (two containers that are both open but not used too much) that I would be willing to give you if you need/want it. It is an herbal supplement. 

TTC since April 2010
    BFP #1 – March 2011, missed m/c April 2011
    BFP #2 – October 2011, m/c November 2011
    Surprise BFP #3 – December 2011, diagnosed as cornual, terminated January 2012
    BFP #4 – June 2012, m/c July 2012
    Diagnosed with bicornuate ute and MTHR gene mutation
    BFP #5 – October 2012, missed m/c November 2012
    BFP #6 – January 2013, m/c March 2013
    No longer TTC. Diagnosis: Hostile ute. Heartbroken and bitter. Pursuing surrogacy.
    June 2013 - Carrier found! Could this really happen?!
    ~All AL always welcome~

• Options
    @sammer818 thank you for your post.  I am impressed you tried for so long and although you have not provided me hope, the reality is a good thing too.  I did see the asklenore.com website.  My surrogate is a nurse so i will see what she says about possibly finding the Domperidone.  Truth is I work full time right now and I don't think I will be able to attempt pumping every 3 hours 24/7.  For someone that works for a company that actually makes and sells breast pumps, this does not sound very fun and you get a ton of kudos for trying.

Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options
    My wife wanted to induce breast milk but wasn't able to, however, we felt that the act of breast feeding was just as important. My wife used donated breast milk from both our surrogate and my wife's sister and the use of the supplemental breast feeding system called Lact-aid.

It has a small bag that the milk goes into and a tiny tube that lines up with the nipple. As our son latched he also took in the tube thereby sucking in milk. It worked well even though we had some latching with the tube challenges when we were on such little sleep. My wife and son used it for over 3 months. We loved it. One could also use it with formula.
    ***Loss and success mentioned***
    Me:34, Wife: 32
    IF reasoning = MFI: Zero Sperm Count using FairFax donor bank
    IUI #1 - #3: 2011 = BFN
    IVF: 2011 = BFN, lost all 10 embryos (with C/Ps)
    Jan 2014 - OBGYN (not RE) found and removed wife's "field of" uterine polyps after failed IVF

Moving on to surrogacy (actually a planned adoption)
    Surrogate IUI#1: 7.17.12 = BFP!! 15dpiui = 256, 17dpiui = 346
    Oliver Zane born - 3/29/2013 on Good Friday!

IUI #4 - #6: 2014-2015 = BFN (with C/Ps)
    Switch sperm donors, start ketosis diet to reduce inflammation late 2015
    IVF 2: Jan and Feb 2016, 3 great looking, 8 cell 3 day embryos. Two ET, one frozen
    2.18.2016 (8dp3dt) = BFFP!
    2.22.2016 (12dp3dt) = 649!!

Started foster care experience in 2012. Now waiting to adopt our foster daughter, 7, who has lived with us for 3 years. 

"Wait for your God, and don't give up on Him - ever!" Hosea 12:6 (msg)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    IRRIRR member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks @Cmartin6706

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"