October 2014 Moms

Going back to work, clogged ducts

please tell me clogged ducts and mastitis gets better as you get more established. I have had mastitis 3 times and numerous clogged ducts. It knocks me on my butt and requires a lot of extras (hot showers, warm compressed, extra nursing and pumping, fever,...) and I start work next week. I won't be able to lay to do a nursing vacation every week when they occur. I am scared I will have to give up bf. Need some encouragement please!!

Re: Going back to work, clogged ducts

• You can try pumping after you bf to empty your boobs maybe? Are you sleeping on your chest or perhaps wearing a constricting bra? I've had 3 clogged ducts on my left boob and I'm certain it's because of the way I sleep. If you get another one try pumping and massage that boob HARD. It hurts like crazy but it's the only way I could get rid of mine. Or a hot shower with a comb or vibrator. Good luck!

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Like Sinner suggested, if the plugs recur in the same spot, sometimes constricting clothing is to blame.

You can also ask an IBCLC about taking lecithin, which helps prevent plugged ducts. But the best answer is frequent nursing and loose clothing.

Do you have a pumping plan in place for work? Could you call a LLL Leader for other recommendations?
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I was fit for bras and nursing tanks at a nursing store. I dnt wear underwire and typically live in my nursing tank. I sleep on my back. I take lecithin daily. I nurse in demand which is typically 2-3 hours. DD typically sleeps 7-8 hrs at nigh but I pump every 4 if she doesn't nurse. I plan to pump 3-4 times a day at work. I know all the suggestions to get rid of them but I am trying to prevent it...
  • I would just recommend being diligent about pumping at work and try and pump at the same time everyday. I find it helpful to put pumping sessions on my calendar so that I don't forget.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im in the same boat, recovering from mastitis and working full time. The only advice I have is the lansinoh therapearl thingys so that you can still do your hot compress at work. I like to do a wet compress at home but its just impossible at work. And a portable space heater for your office, I find pumping to be uncomfortable when cold.
  • Cantisa said:

ahrs said:

I was fit for bras and nursing tanks at a nursing store. I dnt wear underwire and typically live in my nursing tank. I sleep on my back. I take lecithin daily. I nurse in demand which is typically 2-3 hours. DD typically sleeps 7-8 hrs at nigh but I pump every 4 if she doesn't nurse. I plan to pump 3-4 times a day at work. I know all the suggestions to get rid of them but I am trying to prevent it...

Looks like you're doing eveything right then!!!!!!!! =D>
    Right. Because my advice had nothing to do with preventing them? This is why I rarely help newbs.
    You don't know her life!

imageimageimage
  • Right but I am still getting it... So frustrating.
  • 4th round of antibotics today for mastitis.
  • they are doing a milk culture and mammogram. Wish me luck.
  • Hopefully the culture will rule out MRSA and will allow them to prescribe the specific antibiotic you need to get rid of the infection. Mastitis is no joke! I'm sorry you're going through it.

Nurse as much as you can, stay hydrated and REST. Rest is hugely important for recovering from mastitis.

Also, plan to bring baby along if possible for your mammogram, so that you can nurse immediately beforehand and it's easier to read.

Best of luck!
    imageimage
  • Thanks for that tip, I was planning to leave her with dad thinking she wouldn't be allowed in the room. I'll ask about it tomorrow.
  • This is not standad practice, but some studies seem to indicate that probotics Might help with treatment or prevention of mastitis... Here's one :smile:

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0201/p311a.html

But of course talk with your doctor first...
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • What's MRSA? Is that the "typical" bacteria they treat for??
  • I have been taking a strong probiotic every day since my first time with mastitis in November. Dr recommended it to prevent thrush, didn't know it could help with mastitis..
  • ahrs said:

Thanks for that tip, I was planning to leave her with dad thinking she wouldn't be allowed in the room. I'll ask about it tomorrow.

If you can, have baby and dad come along. He can watch her in the waiting room while you are having the mammogram. Good luck!
    imageimage
  • No such luck dad is back at work... But I'll bring my manual pump and pump ahead I guess.
  • ahrs said:

I have been taking a strong probiotic every day since my first time with mastitis in November. Dr recommended it to prevent thrush, didn't know it could help with mastitis..

The study above looked specifically at probiotics containing Lactobacillus fermentum and Lactobacillus salivarius compared with taking antibiotics.
    Again it's not widely used for the purposes of prevention of and Not sure if other probiotics would have similar results. But interesting!
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • Wanted to give an update. The milk culture showed three bacterias growing, two that are sensiative to penicllin and one, skin flora, of which is not. So they are putting me on an additional antibotic. Anyone know about skin flora!? It's a normal bacteria on the skin but I seem to have too much..

Have an ultra sound next week to see if there's anything else that is causing me issues...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"