August 2015 Moms

I am not .....while pregnant

Thought this might be fun. There are so many do's and don'ts while pregnant. Are there any things you are just NOT giving up? Here are some of mine...

1. Bump suggests switching to natural hair care..well herbal essence works just fine that's a not for me. But I am skipping the hair color.

2. Not sitting at the bar in restaurants. Thats the only place DH and I can stand to sit. My fave. Bartender made me a nice Shirley temple in a martini glass last night and didn't charge us for it. Made my night.
(And yes he knew I was prego before most of our family).

3. Well done red meat...cant do it. As long as the restaurant is reputable I go for med.well otherwise I order something else.

What are you not, not doing?
Me & DH: 30
Me: Special Education Teacher
TTC for #1 since February 2013
Me: normal HSG, normal TSH
DH: Hypothyroidism, 1 abnormal and 1 "ok" SA, abnormal blood work
Urologist scheduled 3rd SA and more blood work for Dec. canceled dec. 16 appt
Got our BFP dec. 12th.

Re: I am not .....while pregnant

• Loading the player...
  • I had cooked sushi last night and that satisfied the craving. California roll and a spicy shrimp roll.
    Got our BFP dec. 12th.

• My doctor said hair dying is okay after first trimester. It's so strange how we are told different things by different sources.

I'm staying away from real feta cheese which is hard because it's my fav.

I'm a huge diet coke drinker so I've cut way back but still have caffeine from time to time.
  • I am not fully giving up caffeine. I used to drink about 2-3 cups of coffee a day. Now I've switched to 1 cup of half caf a day. I will also get an occasional regular pop maybe once a week. And lately, I've been taking baths. I feel kind of guilty about that one but I hear it's ok as long as the water isn't super hot and you're not in it for long periods of time.
  • I am not, not drinking coffee. But, I did switch to decaf and it's doing the job.

I did however pass on snowboarding this year, which has been the absolute hardest thing. I still look at the snow report first thing each morning. We haven't announced anything yet either, so my excuses with my snowboarding crew are running thin!
  • PP I feel your pain. I bought a brand new board at the end of last season. Blessing that I wont be able to use it this season but still a little sad. Im still going on our trip at the end of the month but will be hanging at the condo and shopping.
    Got our BFP dec. 12th.

• I currently have a box of hair dye in my bathroom, just trying to decide if I have the energy before our lunch plans.
    I also just had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.
  • I'm not sure! I want to not, not dye my hair...so maybe I'll go with semi-permanent, which I hear is safer...

I also reallllly need a mani/pedi but am worried about fumes while in the shop...I might just go for it, even if I have to wear a mask ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

August 2015 February Siggy Challenge: Valentine's Day Fail

• I have not cut out coffee altogether but I have cut back.
    Chocolate improves my mood therefore the benefit outweighs the risk IMO.
    I will have my hair colored, I have had my hair highlighted by at least two pregnant stylists, & I believe this myth has been debunked.
    I will not eat runny egg yolks even though that is how I prefer them.
    I will not drink wine, I didn't drink it much before so why start now.
    I have not read the list of don'ts here at the bump but I guess I will now and report back.

Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• I'm not giving up sushi, my one cup of green tea daily, occasional kombucha, any cheese, meat or raw egg, peanut butter (though I do eat this in moderation in general anyway), cold lunch meat or hot dogs (though I already buy nitrate free), or an occasional glass of wine after first tri.

I don't dye my hair or use conventional hair care products anyway. I may have a mani/pedi or two when I get too big to care for my own toes. I don't ride horses or motorcycles but I might ride my bike this summer.

I can't remember what else one isn't "supposed" to do but my personal comfort level is one of moderation rather than cutting every little thing out entirely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AmpaintsAmpaints member
    edited January 2015
    I had the best chili cheese slaw dog last week. I've also gotten 2 pedicures and will have many more. I've also had delicious creamy cheese. Guess I'm right there with you @BrazilianPeach‌!
  • I have continued to dye hair and drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning.

The only things I'm really avoiding are deli meats and rare meats, but that's because meat in general sounds disgusting to me.

I have also sat at the bar and ate peanut butter, but I had no idea those were even things to avoid!
  • i still have a cup of coffee in the morning and i just had sushi the other night (it was all i was thinking about for 2 days! lol) i did have mostly cooked rolls but i did have one that had raw salmon in it. 

• I think you have all convinced me to go dye my hair. I'm normally one to wait till after the first trimester, but that's a whole month away, and my hair looks TERRIBLE.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ^ wss just made an appt for February. I use semi-perm color anyway and didn't realize this was no longer considered unsafe.
    Got our BFP dec. 12th.

• I'm seriously confused about the "not sitting at the bar" thing - why on earth would that be an issue? I'd understand if people were smoking at the bar but isn't that pretty much not allowed almost everywhere?

Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Definitely not avoiding coloring my hair! How do you think all those pregnant ladies that work in hair salons have babies? My sister is a hairdresser and she has a perfect little girl. The same goes for getting a mani/pedi. Unless the smell is too much for you, treat yourself!!

The only things I am avoiding are alcohol, of course, and raw seafood. The second one is so hard for me because we are a raw oyster loving family (pretty sure they are the reason I am pg!)
  • My gf who's a RN said that dying won't bother you or baby esp if you foil. I went a little darker so that I can let my hair grow out So I just don't have to dye it as much, but I'm trying my hardest to not want to go super blonde again lol.

I've tried to cut moat caffeine out. I successfully transitioned to decaf, but get half caf on weekends. And still love chocolate lol.

No alcohol for me although my OB said when I'm closer to baby time in 3rd trimester and I'm stressed or having Braxton hicks a glass of red wine is a-ok!

I have definitely broken the lifting rule. I didn't know there was a weight limite, just no "Heavy lifting" and heavy is different person to person..I Def have been lifting over 2lbs at 11w. Lol woops

I Def need to start working out, this exhaustion is not helping my fat and blump accumulating around my middle from stuffing.my face LOL
  • WSatisfiedPWSatisfiedP member
    edited January 2015
    I'm following all the rules until 14 weeks and second tri when I have an appointment for highlights, a pedicure and a massage. My hair looks awful, and we're going on vacation when I'm 15 weeks.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• Why is sitting at the bar a no-no?  Do they assume you'll have no self-control and will drink anyway? 
    TTC since 5/2014 
    Aug 15 January Siggy Challenge:  Favorite "mean girl" from tv/movies

BabyFruit Ticker
  • There's not much I'm giving up other than wine and outdoor rock climbing.
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NOT doing caffeinated drinks or fake sugars. Those are things I was already straying from before our BFP.

Not doing lunch meats or alcohol.

I'm sure there's more I should be paying attention to, right?
  • I drink diet soda and tea almost daily. I've cut back to one of each from waaaay more and upped my water. I'm eating lots of subway. I use the no no acne washes on my face 1-2 a week.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The no sitting at the bar thing sounds outdated. Pretty sure that one came about when smoking was still permitted in bars.
    That would make more sense 
    TTC since 5/2014 
    Aug 15 January Siggy Challenge:  Favorite "mean girl" from tv/movies

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The only meat I can stomach lately is hamburger meat lately and this mama loves her peanut m&ms. Plus I totally died my hair at 6 weeks. I admit I didn't realize that was bad until after. Coffee cigarettes hotdogs and alcohol all make me nauseous. So that was super easy to give up. I feel like my bloodhound nose will tell me what not to eat or drink.
  • I guess the bar thing is just taboo in some families...my mom and SIL were giving me a hard time about it..but they are a little up-tight :-S
    Got our BFP dec. 12th.

• I have given up red meat, baths, and sodas.

All this talk about sushi is making me hungry
  • I have never heard don't eat peanut butter. I'm not drinking coffee, but that's only because I have an aversion to it now that I'm pregnant. I eat my yolks runny and have chocolate occasionally.
  • I'm not drinking, not eating deli meat or hotdogs (but that's because I'm a vegetarian), not eating runny eggs (but only because I almost puked after eating scrambled eggs the other day), I've cut down on my coffee but do still drink the occasional half caf and do still drink iced tea in moderation.  We're going out for sushi in a few weeks, but I think I'll stick to cooked rolls.  I had a CA roll the other day and it did a pretty good job of satisfying the craving :) 

I do however, lift the man child frequently, paint my nails, eat peanut butter, eat soft cheese... I'd go crazy if I tried to follow all of the "rules"
    Me: 30   DH: 32   
    TFAS since May 2013
    8/14 - Bloodwork showed heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation and elevated AMH (but no cysts)
    9/14 - HSG, Hysteroscopy and laparoscopy showed tubes clear, but found and removed Endometriosis, scar tissue and 2 small benign masses on my tubes.
    11/14 - Daily ultrasounds confirmed that my follicles are not releasing the egg and every other day blood draws showed very low progesterone... DH's SA was near perfect
    12/14 - moving onto meds!!! Hold up!!!  Surprise BFP after only taking the progesterone!  Now what do I do with all of the other meds we already paid for?!  Due at the end of August 2015 Beta#1- 4434 @ 22DPO  Beta#2 - 7335 @ 25DPO Beta #3 - 14429  @ 28DPO
  • I cut down my coke, but I'm not giving it up. I also upped my water big time. I've tried twice doing steak well done, the first time it tasted horrible, the second time was much better...but it's tough since I love it med. Giving up alcohol, but I could seriously go for a strawberry daqueri (virgin of course) right now!
    first mc- 2007
    second mc- 2014
    third times a charm- EDD 08/17/15
  • I've given up coffee, diet cokes, alcohol, deli meats, hot dogs, and pretty much anything that's advised against.

I have not given up peanut butter or baths because I didn't know either of those were things I should avoid! I will also be highlighting my hair as soon as the second trimester hits!
  • I am not giving up my sweet iced tea. I have, however, chosen to only drink it on Sundays at family lunch and I have started using half sweet tea bags and half unsweet decaffeinated tea bags. I also got my hair highlighted last week (after first consulting my doctor) because my roots were out of control. And I occasionally eat lunch meat but I usually toast my sandwiches or heat the meat in a skillet before eating. My doctor even said that one glass of wine at night (NOT every night), after the first trimester, is okay. I don't drink so that's not something I plan on doing anyways.
  • I have been craving root beer like crazy, so I give in occasionally. I never drank soda before.

I eat Jimmy johns sandwiches. At home I heat lunch meat up first. No raw sushi, no alcohol. I gave up coffee before pregnancy due to a hernia, but I sip my husband's.

I could never give up chocolate.
  • The main things I gave up were caffeine (save for cup of black tea on weekends), green/herbal teas, and alcohol.

I've had medium done steak and seared tuna- and definitely not a frequent occurrence. No deli meat unless it is fully cooked and just opened from the bag.

Lastly, I helped paint walls for an hour with a mask and plenty of ventilation, but I don't see me doing this too many more time either. 
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm curious how many of you mommas are first timers?

Not being snarky, just reminiscent on how I behaved my first pregnancy! I drove everyone nuts with my list of don'ts. I am a lot more relaxed this time around, nothing crazy! Just indulging in warm baths and hot tea for now! Maybe some coffee again soon if it stops turning my stomach just when I smell it!
  • I don't think there is anything that I've given up! I am still going to keep up with my highlights, get my pedicures, eat hotdogs and lunchmeat, sushi (I only eat the cooked stuff anyway), carrying around my 2 and 4 year old, etc.
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"