March 2015 Moms

Labor outfit (besides hospital gown)

I'm interested in wearing something besides a hospital gown during labor. I plan on just a sports bra while in the birth tub, but I'm not sure what to wear when I'm on dry land.

I'm over thinking this, I'm sure. But I worry about being too hot/cold, being annoyed by my clothes, feeling too exposed or too covered -- IDK. Just wanted to get some inspiration from other moms' experiences & hear anyone's ideas/thoughts.

Re: Labor outfit (besides hospital gown)

• I've seen some really nice birthing gowns on Etsy. Another poster shared a link not too long ago, but I can't remember who. I bought a special hospital gown from Amazon for my first pregnancy and it just didn't work out. The nurses had trouble with the ties and the openings were not where they needed to be, so I wasn't able to wear it. I'm just going with whatever ugly gown I'm issued this time, but I'll be bringing my own robe, nursing pajamas, slippers, and fuzzy socks.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm considering my own gown this time around. Last time I had to double up on the gowns because if the whole butt hanging out thing and they were just too short and uncomfortable. I'm not going the etsy route because I've heard the same thing from others as pp mentioned. Maybe a cheap nightgown that opens up for skin- to- skin that I can just pitch after I smear it in blood and baby cheese.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm planning a sports-bra-type nursing bra (for easy access for skin-to-skin immediately after. I'll probably bring a couple in case one gets wet in the labor tub. Otherwise planning to go with the hospital-supplied gown and the recommended socks (apparently it gets cold pretty easily).
  • I'm wearing a cheap cami from old navy for in the tub, and also for out of the tub. They're soft, stretchy, and hopefully won't annoy me. If/when I'm walking the halls, I'll probably throw on a maxi skirt or hospital gown (whichever annoys me less) and my super comfy bathrobe. I'm hoping to be either walking or in the tub up until pushing time, though I'm sure I'll spend more time in the tub than anything else. I've looked at the beautiful robes/kimonos/gowns on etsy, but I'm lazy and cheap and haven't ordered one. 
  • mandi195mandi195 member
    edited January 2015
    if anyone is interested, this is the shop I was going to purchase from on Etsy. I'm looking at the floor length robes. (If this isn't allowed, let me know and I'll remove the link. I do not know this person at all, but love her robes. I think they are so beautiful and would look nice in those first hospital pictures instead of a boring hospital robe)
  • I can't justify buying a cute gown so I'll just be wearing the good old hospital gown. I didn't have any problem getting my butt covered when I had to get up to pee plus I can just throw a robe over the back if I'm able to be up walking around. Trying to walk around with the monitors around my belly was such a pain in the ass it won't matter what I'm wearing lol
  • gnomemom said:

I've seen some really nice birthing gowns on Etsy. Another poster shared a link not too long ago, but I can't remember who. I bought a special hospital gown from Amazon for my first pregnancy and it just didn't work out. The nurses had trouble with the ties and the openings were not where they needed to be, so I wasn't able to wear it. I'm just going with whatever ugly gown I'm issued this time, but I'll be bringing my own robe, nursing pajamas, slippers, and fuzzy socks.

@gnomemom‌ Was it the "Pretty Pushers" gown? I was contemplating the purchase... But am on the fence.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Following.  I've been in the "I don't want to mess up my own clothes" camp, but the L&D nurse at our class last week suggested we consider our own clothes (and said that what the lady wears in the video we watch this week has good clothes).

I've bought caftans from this shop before: https://www.etsy.com/shop/silkandmore  I'm thinking that nursing is a good excuse to buy a new, button front one. 
  • Pear2012 said:

I'm considering my own gown this time around. Last time I had to double up on the gowns because if the whole butt hanging out thing and they were just too short and uncomfortable. I'm not going the etsy route because I've heard the same thing from others as pp mentioned. Maybe a cheap nightgown that opens up for skin- to- skin that I can just pitch after I smear it in blood and baby cheese.

Just threw up in mouth a little, but i was already nauseous today! Haha
    @mandi195‌ I'm obviously not an expert on the new TOUs but i think that your link should be OK by how my head is understanding it. This isn't your shop and you are not trying to sell anyone anything for personal gain, your just recommending something. I feel like it isn't any different than say someone asking for advice on what breast pump to buy and you linking one on Amazon. You know what i mean? This completely 100% relates to what we are talking about and if it ends up not being allowed then i just give up on TB lol (sorry that unintentionally turned into a TOU rant lol)

Anyway as far as the original question goes. I'm curious as how everyone else's hospital policy is. I have been in the hospital that im delivering at for other reasons and i know that while you are hooked up to an IV or any kind of monitors you are only allowed to wear their provided hospital gown. Anyone else's hospital like this? I even asked at my tour and they said that we wouldn't be able to wear anything from the outside until after we give birth no matter what. I thought this was weird since other people here had mentioned wearing whatever they want but i guess every hospital had different policies :/ meh i don't quite know about the tub though. My hospital only has one tub total for the whole unit and you are only allowed to be in for an hour at a time. After which you have to go back in line on the waiting list if there is one and wait your turn for another hour. Lame. I'm so confused now.
    Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
    photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
    For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms
  • I'm planning on a comfy bra, and using a hospital gown during delivery. I'll use some robes, tank tops and bottoms for the rest of the stay. I do plan on my bringing my own socks and have a nice fluffy pair ready.

• mudbug84 said:
    I've seen some really nice birthing gowns on Etsy. Another poster shared a link not too long ago, but I can't remember who. I bought a special hospital gown from Amazon for my first pregnancy and it just didn't work out. The nurses had trouble with the ties and the openings were not where they needed to be, so I wasn't able to wear it. I'm just going with whatever ugly gown I'm issued this time, but I'll be bringing my own robe, nursing pajamas, slippers, and fuzzy socks.
    @gnomemom‌ Was it the "Pretty Pushers" gown? I was contemplating the purchase... But am on the fence.
    @mudbug84, it was that gown. I got the blue and pink one with sushi on it. Yeah, it did not work with the equipment they needed to attach to me and it was a waste of money.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I would hate to buy something cutesy & expensive and ruin it with all that is giving birth. I think I am just going to stick with their gown for L&D and pack some comfy pants and live in nursing bra/tank and zip ups for the few days I am there. I do think I will invest in some cute nursing friendly PJs to wear the first bit at home - I still want to "feel cute" in what I am wearing with all the visitors and such without having to actually get dressed. 
    For SuzyQ0525 and all other M15 losses

BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY !!!
  • Wanted to follow up to my post earlier, that I will likely still be in a cami and hospital gown for the actual birth, but I love the idea of a comfy, pretty robe to put on afterward for comfort, easy access for breastfeeding, and also any pics that are taken. 
  • I'm wearing a pretty pusher gown for labor.
    I hate hospital gowns there so uncomfortable.
  • When I had DS, I was not allowed to wear anything other than hospital attire during labor. Post labor I put on a comfortable nursing cami.

#1 BFP 11/6/12 EDD 07/19/13 Delivered 07/23/13 - Baby boy Everett John

#2 BFP 07/06/14 EDD 03/12/15

• I'm fine wearing a hospital gown for L&D. No sense on spending money on something that will probably get ruined. 

• What is this "not allowed" to wear your own clothes? Umm what are they going to do, push the baby back in until you change? Wear what you want...

I'll probably wear a sports bra and either a cheap swim cover up type dress or a tank and something on bottom- skirt, shorts, idk.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going with the hospital gown as well for L&D. Never been through this before, but I figure that whatever I'm wearing will get gross and dirty so I don't want to ruin my own clothes. Plus, I figure what I look like will be at the bottom of my priority list (and I probably will look terrible even if I tried to look good). Hence, I don't think it makes sense to buy something for the occasion. I guess I'll bring a robe though. Does the hospital provide one? I suppose dark colors are best if you bring your own? Too bad, I have like 3 different types of white robes at home........ 

Once he's out and cleaned up, I'll switch to my own pajamas. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My trip to L&D established for me that "one size fits all" is a lie and trying to hold a gown on my body while simultaneously not trying to fall over all of the monitor cords is a pain in the a@@.

So I'll probably wear a sports bra and an old skirt, or I've been thinking about buying a cheap long pajama tank and sewing a zipper in the back. I refuse to spend more than $20 on something that's going to get covered in bodily fluids.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• OP, is this your first child? I can only assume yes as you wouldn't feel that way if it were your 2nd, etc. I felt the same way you did and even brought a sports bra for laboring. Once you start having labor pains/contractions/pushing you won't care who sees what! Honestly, a hospital gown is easiest for skin to skin with the baby right after its born and also for quick, easy nursing. I changing into an "outfit" after DD was born and actually changed BACK into the hospital gown for ease of use!
    imageimageBabyFruit Ticker

• Great ideas, ladies! I am definitely not buying a cute gown -- I'm thinking more like thrift shop/TJ Maxx clothes ... Now I'm realizing I need to think about ease of skin to skin/nursing afterwards & also hospital rules (or just fuck 'em). When I was in triage the gown was so scratchy & terrible...But maybe I'll wear it backwards like a robe over a bra... Like the idea of a swim cover-up if I can find one cheap. Still thinking about bottoms...
  • I put on the hospital gown last time but left my tank top on under it. I ended up taking off the gown at some point and ended up in just my tank top.

After I took my shower (about 6 hours after delivery) I changed into my own pajamas. I brought dark colored pj bottoms and tank tops and cardigans to wear while I was there and than yoga pants to wear home.
    This time I got some nursing pjs for Christmas and I picked up a cheap pair of slippers to bring too. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I figure I'll just wear some sort of sports bra/nursing bra type of thing along with the hospital gown for labor.

After labor, not sure.  I thought maybe my super fluffy comfy pink robe, but I don't want to get it bloody.  Maybe just a nursing cami and some black sweatpants?  For those who have BTDT, should I not bring my (beloved) pink fluffy robe?

image  image

TTC #1 May 2014

BFP 7/4/14 ~ EDD 3/17/15

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wore the hospital gown at first, then I'm pretty sure I was naked after that. I'm not really sure, though. I have no recollection of my clothes! After, I wore the hospital gown again until I could shower and then sweats. @PuppyLove84‌ , I brought my regular pink bathrobe and it was fine. I still wear it all the time and plan to bring it this time, too.

Where is my arm?!? Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Due March 17, 2015

• My hospital told me I'm "not allowed" to wear "outside" clothing during labor in case of emergency surgery. My thought was "So...do you make all ER patients change before treating them?"

Hospital gowns are uncomfortable, but mostly made me really feel like some patient with a serious problem and no control. I'm planning to order one from Amazon to feel a bit more like myself. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002BB586C/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A910SOE1FKRQR#)
  • My plan was to wear one of my favorite DHs baggy shirts, no bra and probably no bottoms (they'll just be in the way, right?). I just worry ill burn up in a baggy tshirt.

And I'm team cute robe for recovery and at home. I just cant imagine dealing with any type of bottoms those first few weeks + I want easy access to breast feeding.
  • I'm planning on a tank top or a sports bra for laboring and the hospital gown...I plan on spending as much time as I can in the birthing tub so I'm not too worried about what I'll be wearing. I am glad to hear someone took their regular robe though, I think I'll just take that and some PJ bottoms for afterwards! I'm pretty sure I'm just going to live in a robe for the first few weeks.
  • In theory its an awesome idea, but honestly you will literally want to burn anything you wore during labor afterwards (I even hated my hospital lounge clothes afterwards). The hospital gowns aren't the fanciest, but they do their job and they get to clean up the mess :)
  • With my son I wore 2 hospital gowns, one open in back and one as a robe, for the first part of labor. When things got hard I took everything off. I stayed in gowns until I left but I was so dizzy every time I stood up that I stayed in bed most of the time

• I'll be wearing hospital gown but I'll change into my own gown after I deliver. I plan to get an epidural so I won't be roaming the halls anyway.
  • I think the sports bra idea sounds comfy but as a FTM Im wondering how easy it is for skin to skin after the baby is born. Anyone have experience with this?
  • I wore the hospital gown with my first and changed into a cotton dress afterwards. I bought a cute pink "gown" for our second but he came so fast I barely had time to get my own clothes off. If you opt to forgo the hospital gown I'd pack a bunch of camis and/or button up style pjs. Lifting up my shirt constantly when learning how to nurse was a pain in the ass!

I usually bring my glasses but I don't tell anyone I'm wearing contacts. I refuse to deal with glasses during labor.
  • What you have on really depends if you had an epidural or not. With an epidural I coundn't walk, so I was in the bed in a gown. With my second not enough time and in active labor when I arrived to hospital. Just got naked and put on the gown they gave me. Had the baby in 2 hours and too focus on the task at hand to care what I had on.

Only put cloths on when I made it back to my room the next day after a shower...I think. I had on the hospital underwear for about 24hours with the ice packs after delivery. Honestly, I can't remember when I put back on cloths. I know I had cloths on when I left!!
  • drudolph11drudolph11 member
    edited January 2015
    @adoucette492‌ ha i have literally been contemplating they same thing. See for me i absolutely hate glasses. Hate hate hate them. I only wear them at night when i take my contacts out and that is usually it but i know sometimes coughing too hard and puking makes my eyes go dry so i can only imagine what might happen during the strain of labor and i would really like to not be blind during the birth of my child. I have also had contacts randomly decide to pop out of my eye when they have gotten dry. So i guess im just going to wear my contacts to the hospital and bring an extra pair in case they get lost and my glasses of course because i would rather wear my glasses then be blind and will need them at night. I buy the cheap brand of contacts though which, no matter what, are no good by the end of the day and while my eyes are totally fine if i sleep in my contacts this brand won't allow for it, they have to soak. What are u gonna do?
    Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
    photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
    For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms
  • I wore the hospital gown without a bra my entire stay. It was much easier for the nurses to check me after the baby came and things were gross. They gave me a robe to wear as well. Not pretty but I didn't care.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just wore the hospital gown with both of my girls. I don't remember feeling like it was uncomfortable and I have no desire to spend money on my own gown. Post birth I had sweats and nursing camis.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like some PP I was basically naked the whole time.  I started with a gown, which was actually REALLY comfortable- super soft!  But it became restricting so far.  I stripped down to my bra and labored in that.  The only reason I didn't take the bra off is because I have big boobs and I hate being bra-less ever.  I didn't even notice that I was talking around basically naked.  

Then after the birth I just hung out in bed with my mesh undies, giant pad, and a nursing tank.  It was hot the day my son was born and my room was super hot minus the AC being on full blast.   When people came to visit I pulled the sheet up to my waste but my boobs were hanging out of that nursing top pretty much the whole time.  I am not a very modest person, and whatever modesty I have just FLEW out the window.  

So, I really wouldn't spend money on anything.  Get something nice and cheap!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Sports bra and probably yoga shorts. Maybe just underwear. I will probably just throw a robe on when walking around the halls or what not. They check you so often, I don't really see the point of bottoms but my sister will be photographing the whole process for her portfolio. So I want to be semi clothed. Just a bra in the tub though. I don't care about my butt being seen lol.
  • I cant justify spending money on something I am going to ruin with fluids and blood while birthing a baby. Plain old hospital gown works for me. I do however have 3 sets of pajamas to wear for the rest of my stay in the hospital 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
  • Tank for tub. Gown for bed.

m/c 2002 7w2d
    bfp 9.6.12 | edd 5.17.13 | m/c 9.19.12 5w5d

bfp 10.18.12 | edd 6/28/13

beta#1 10.18.12 - 96 / progestrone 32 || beta#2 10.22.12 - 711 || beta#3 10.25.12 - 2608 DD born 6/27/13

bfp 7.16.14 | edd 3/27/15

beta#1 7.18.14 - 149 || beta#2 7.21.14 - ??

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"