April 2015 Moms
Options

Bottles

edited January 2015 in April 2015 Moms
hi any recommendations on what bottles to use? Thanks in advance

Re: Bottles

• Options
    I plan to breastfeed (and later, when I return to work, to pump) and I'm buying the Comotomo bottles. They're supposed to be great for babies who get both.

If you're formula feeding, Dr. brown is a popular choice and good at reducing gas troubles, I've heard.
  • Options
    I have a few freebies from maternity stores &target, avent natural & munchkin latch. I plan to try each and whatever baby likes I'll buy more of. If baby doesn't like either than I'll buy 1-2 of different types until we find what works, then stock up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've got some freebies of Avent too but I'm planning on trying Playtex Ventaire. They have a 4 nipple variety pack so you can test which one baby likes and then stock up without having to buy all new bottles.
  • Options
    My daughter ended up not being picky. I had tommee tippee, advent, and medela. She didn't care which. I ended up favoring advent bottles since she didn't care. I'll get a few of each this time around as well. 
  • Options
    ewilson74ewilson74 member
    edited January 2015
    If you search, this was discussed back in October. Similar to what has been stated, but with some info on why some didn't like particular brands.

Eta: link didn't work. Just use search and change the parameters.
  • Options
    As pp have said, grab a few different ones since baby will likely decide what it likes best. I would avoid the large sets until you know what brand you'll be sticking with. I personally bought Dr Brown's and Tommee Tippee. I'm glad DS hated the Dr. Brown's as they have a lot of pieces and are a pain to clean, although I hear they are great if your LO is colicky. My DS ended up loving the Medela bottles that came with my pump and that's all we ever used.

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Infant room teacher here: Do not buy playtex vent air! We have soooo many issues with them leaking ALL THE TIME at work! It's super frustrating. Think of all that lost work from pumping or money from formula! One of our parents just replaced her entire bottle stash because she was so fed up. On the other hand, I love Playtex drop-ins. That's what kind I used with ds1 and will again for ds2.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Options
    Dr. Browns have too many parts to wash for my taste. I'm going to try a simple bottle, like avent, and work my way from there with this LO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It really depends on the baby. I wouldn't stock up on a bunch of the same type until you know if the baby will take it. We had a lot of success with Born Free and the Dr Browns.  Tbh, I much preferred the Dr Browns because they really did help with the spit up. It didn't have that many extra parts, and for the reduction in spit up, it was really worth it for us.

Also, when you do stock up, don't stock up on small bottles. Your baby will eventually drink more, and you'll need to buy a whole new stock of bottles. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son was a nicu grad and did not
    Learn to latch. I pumped exclusively for ten months (my milk dried up). We tried so many bottles and the only one that worked for him was dr browns.
  • Options
    I liked having small bottles for the first few months then big bottles later on so I didn't mind purchase another few bottles later on. 
  • Options
    My son only liked one kind of bottle by evenflow, and then evenflow quit making that bottle and it was miserable. Not really advice I guess...I would say stay away from anything that's not a popular or easily accessible brand/style, lest your baby latch onto that type and then you are stuck if it's tough to find/discontinued.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter was breastfed, but when I gave pumped milk she preferred Tommee Tippee. Each baby is different though so I wouldn't recommend buying a ton of one kind.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    I used Dr. Browns with my first and there are a ton of parts to clean, but my baby was gassy and they worked real well for him.

• Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions!
  • Options
    Gonna breastfeed, & use comotomo with pumped milk. Also, a friend is giving me her brand spanking new avent bottles & accessories, since her baby didn't use them all. I think I'm going to store using NUK bags
    J+J 05.12  .  N 04.15  .   No.2 due 06.17
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be primarily breastfeeding, but I did register for the glass Avent bottles. I'm paranoid about plastics, even BPA-free, so I really hope baby goes for the glass. It won't be a huge issue either way, since I'll be a SAHM, but I assume I'll hire a baby sitter from time to time, so FX that the glass will work in a pinch!
  • Options
    I loved playtex drop ins!!
  • Options
    We had good luck with Dr. Brown's.  They do have a lot of parts but it's not that big of a deal to clean them.  They helped with our fussy/gassy baby as well.

BabyFruit Ticker  

Little West #1: Born May 23, 2013

Little West #2: Due April 15, 2015

2U2 Fossil Mommy

• Options
    Dr. Brown, and then we discovered Born Free a little later on.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have heard Tommee Tippee are the best from many people. We used Dr. Browns with DD and they seemed to work great from a reflux perspective, however, they are the worst for cleaning. There are so many freaking parts.
  • Options

Playtex Ventaire Wide mouth is what we went with.  mid-price point and not too many parts, but still a vented bottle.  My kids would collapse the nipples on fully sealed up bottles.

I EP'd for #1 and BF & pumped for #2.

This bottle worked well for both my kids.  I will try them first for #3 and make adjustments if needed.

every baby is different.  some do perfectly fine with cheapie evenflo basics and some need something more breast-like to be able to go back and forth.  some moms like to have the "best" and most expensive thing out there, some are fine saying they got life to work with spending less.

my advice is to start with a few bottles from a mid-price point and see if they work out.  if not, then get fancier.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"