Blended Families

Tight Living Quarters

Hello, I am 23 weeks along and my fiance and I currently live in a studio apartment and will continue to do so for about 2 months after the baby is born. He has 2 kids ages, 5 and 8, from a previous marriage. We have the kids every other weekend and one night a week. Already living in one room makes things like bed times almost impossible. Adding in a newborn who will be up and needing attention, I feel that we may need to suspend our over nights with the two older kids until we move into a larger place. I mentioned this to my fiance and his response was it will be hard but we are going to have the kids over regardless. 

Any suggestions or opinions on this? 
TYIA

Re: Tight Living Quarters

• Loading the player...
  • I agree that you don't stop overnights, can you move sooner?

• cole2144 said:
    I would definitely not stop overnights. You don`t stop parenting your other children because you are having a new baby. I can`t imagine how that would make your fiance`s children feel. This is a situation that should have been handled before you got pregnant or before the baby is born.
    This exactly.

Is moving earlier an option?
  • Thanks for the replies all! Unfortunately moving early is not an option as we are locked in a lease until end of June. We currently live in approx 530 sq feet of space. When I leased the apartment it was just for me, which was doable. Soon after my fiance (boyfriend at the time) moved in and we made it work with having the kids staying over nights. When they are here for overnights we all sleep in the same area, my fiance and I on a fold out fouton situation and the kids on a blow up mattress. It is not ideal in any sense. While we are over the moon happy to be having a baby together, it was not planned. I do not want to make the kids feel any less welcomed or loved because we are adding a new brother to the family, however, I don't think it is fair to the kids either to be constantly woken up through the night either. One way or another we will make it work out, just will be a rough couple months on everyone. 
  • Thanks for the replies all! Unfortunately moving early is not an option as we are locked in a lease until end of June. We currently live in approx 530 sq feet of space. When I leased the apartment it was just for me, which was doable. Soon after my fiance (boyfriend at the time) moved in and we made it work with having the kids staying over nights. When they are here for overnights we all sleep in the same area, my fiance and I on a fold out fouton situation and the kids on a blow up mattress. It is not ideal in any sense. While we are over the moon happy to be having a baby together, it was not planned. I do not want to make the kids feel any less welcomed or loved because we are adding a new brother to the family, however, I don't think it is fair to the kids either to be constantly woken up through the night either. One way or another we will make it work out, just will be a rough couple months on everyone. 
    It is nice that you do not want them to be woken up through the night but that is much preferable to being set aside for a few months. Like all the PP said, making it work all together is the only thing to do until you have a bigger place.
  • Talk to your landlord about getting out of your lease, perhaps you can sublet the apartment. I am quite certain your landlord and your neighbors would appreciate your honesty more than having 5 people in an apartment designed for 1
  • Just an idea; but some landlords will let you move into a larger apartment in the same property to finish your lease out. If they have a larger one available they are usually ok with getting a little more money a month. It would be a pain to move twice so close together, but it might be worth asking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"