Late Term and Child Loss
Options

Returning To Work

Could you please keep me in your thoughts tomorrow? I'm returning to work and my anxiety is through the roof. How did you ladies who have gone back handle it?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Returning To Work

• Options
    ((Hugs)). I work from home, so my situation is different, and I was able to avoid my co-workers pretty well. Thinking of you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • Options
    I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I don't have any advice for you though. I didn't have a job to go back to.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good luck! Going back to work was hard for me, mostly because I was so anxious about seeing people and interacting with the world again. Once the initial awkwardness wore off (people just didn't know what to say), things were okay but I still had moments that sadness and grief would overwhelm me and I ended to excuse myself. First two weeks were the worst but I still struggled from time to time for months after.

Like a pp suggested, if you can have flexible hours or designate a place you can go to when you're feeling overwhelmed, that could help.

Again, good luck. We'll be thinking about you!!
  • Options
    Thinking of you!! Good Luck...
    Noah Gabriel due:4/21/15 born sleeping 12/22/14

Hoping for a Rainbow in 2016
  • Options
    **ticker**

No advice to give, but sending T&Ps. 
  • Options
    Thinking of you ((big hugs)).  I know how hard returning to work was for me.  There are still days I'd just rather stay in bed.
  • Options
    mrswheelomrswheelo member
    edited January 2015
    My first day back sucked. I hated seeing ppl feel sad for me. And worse, ppl who thought they were giving me comforting advice, but actually made me want to slap them. Not their fault. They dont understand.
    I was open with my manager about where I was emotionally and what I could handle. She gave me a really light work schedule for the first few weeks so I wasn't overwhelmed.
    Or you may find that diving back in to "work as usual" may be more helpful to you. It was for my husband. Just be sure to let work know what you need. Otherwise, they will be clueless.
    Good luck and many ((hugs)) to get you through your first day!
  • Options
    Ticker warning

Big hugs, thinking of you tomorrow. For me the only thing that helped was time to get used to it. I also didn't work a full 40 hours until I had been back about a month or a little more. I am not sure how much it helped me long term, but it sure felt good to leave at noon one day, and call off another day and go back to bed.

And its so trivial and of course won't make the pain go away, but I found anything that could make the day better helped, like picking up my favorite food for lunch or getting breakfast on the way in. Also try to be realistic, there is no shame in not being able to make it through every day. For at least a month and a half back to work I cried on my way to and from work everyday and there were many instances I had to duck into the bathroom and cry. Its ok not to be ok. Hugs mama.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    Mel&John2013Mel&John2013 member
    edited January 2015
    ***siggy warning

Thinking of you today!

I got through it by:

1) avoiding people for a few days until I got my footing. I also have one coworker who I consider a friend and I used her as a "safe zone". She listened when I needed to talk and let me hide in her cubicle when I needed to avoid people for a few minutes. There is no shame in hiding when you need to.

2) I have a desk job so was also able to hop on this board when I needed to, or onto the "still standing" website. It helped get me through some days.

3) Like @angelsnight said, for the first few weeks I did little things to "treat" myself, like getting my favorite coffee or breakfast. 

4) I left early if I had to for the first few weeks.

I hope you can find some comfort in the "normalcy" of work, but understand that sometimes doing "normal" things while your life feels like a mess is hard. You are strong, and you'll get through. Just be kind to yourself and don't expect too much.
  • Options

Sorry I didn't see this before you headed back to work.  Hopefully today was gentle on you.

For me, going back to work completely sucked but I had some "training" after my miscarriage.  The miscarriage was tough in that people didn't know about my loss, so no one gave me space, and it was incredibly overwhelming.  After I lost my daughter, everyone knew, so that made it easier in some respects.  People knew that I would be hurting, and I felt like it was okay if I broke down at my desk; no one would give it a second thought.  And I did break down a lot.  I cried on the drive all the way to work, in the stall everytime I went to the bathroom, on the drive all the way home from work, and a few other times in between.  I still tear up at work actually, and I'm more than 6 months out now.

Part of what really helped me was having a couple of people I felt really comfortable with.  My coworker who sits right across from me actually lost her one week old daughter several years ago, so she sort of protected me in the beginning.  Another one of my close friends would check in on me a couple of times a day to see if I wanted her to go and get me anything or if I wanted her to walk me to go the cafeteria or take a break to talk or cry.  Having that support there really helped a lot of my anxieties.

I also got online a lot and looked at whatever was on my mind.  I was completely incapable of focusing on work for quite a while (and still have my days actually), so I forgave myself for that and searched for whatever my mind needed to know at that moment.

There were a few days where I just needed to a hard, ugly cry, so I took some personal time and just went home or to the cemetery. 

Basically just be as gentle on yourself as possible.  Don't try to push it if you can help it.  It might take time for work to feel more normal.

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Options

***sig warning***

Hope your first day back went ok.  It was really hard for me going back, but once I was back, it was a good distraction.  Hope it's the same for you.

Me 32 (Stage IV Endometriosis, short luteal phase) DH 38

Married 5/2010

January 2014- DS born healthy at 35.4 weeks

February 2014- DS passed away due to complications from adenovirus

February 2015- Rainbow baby DD born at 36.3 weeks

My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/42fd32 

• Options
    So many hugs - I hope the first day back went ok.
  • Options
    *siggy

Hope your first day went ok. It's hard. Take it slow, and allow yourself to break down if you need to. I'd close my door and cry, if I needed to I would leave early because it was to overwhelming. I did that a few times and everyone was pretty understanding. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• Options
    I hope your first few days went alright. I'll continue to think of you as the week goes on.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thank you so much for all the support and advice, ladies! I'm embarrassed to say that my first day got pushed back as I had a panic attack the night before and couldn't make myself do it. I am a Substitute Special Education Para right now and I am getting my local teaching certificate in a couple of weeks to be a Substitute Special Education Teacher. I work at all the different schools throughout the district of a neighboring town.

After reading all of your thoughts, I decided to try another assignment for tomorrow. I have been to this particular school many times and use to work there full time. I sent an email to the head teacher and let her know what was going on. She said they are looking forward to seeing me. I'm still nervous, but I know this staff will be very accommodating.

OT - I just want to say that I am very grateful for all of the support I have found on this board. I'm not a real social person and this has given me a forum to express my feelings and get much needed love and support back. I hope I can give some of what I have received back to you all. Thank you for making this last month a little easier for me. <3
  • Options
    *****siggy warning

Good for you for knowing you weren't ready yet!

I'm happy to be able to provide whatever support I can. Good luck tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Good luck today!
    TTC since August 2013 BFP #1 1/15/14...MMC 2/24/14...D&C 3/3/14 BFP #2 5/11/14 ... severe pre-e placental abruption our angel born sleeping at 22 weeks Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I second what Mel&john said - good for you for knowing you weren't ready and taking care of yourself. Hope the day went as well as possible today.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone! You all made yesterday a lot easier for me!

@Happyin14, yes, yesterday went really well. The school nurse is a friend of mine and when I walked in with some students, she said, "I feel like you need a hug" and came up and gave me a big bear hug. I definitely needed one and that helped A LOT! We talked for a little bit and then I carried on with the day.

It was hard at first. I cried on the way to work, but I made it through the rest of the day without tears. I told the other two paras what happened and they were very nice to me, but didn't really address what I said. I don't think they knew what to say. It kind of stung a little, but I know they didn't want to hurt to me.

I didn't work today due to appointments. Next week I go back to full-time work at another school that I am comfortable at. My boss is being really great about letting me pick assignments based on what I can handle. I feel very fortunate to be working with such a great school district.
  • Options
    ****siggy

I'm so glad it went well, and that you work for a great school district that's letting you do what works for you.

Great job on the first day back!
  • Options
    I'm glad it went well!
    TTC since August 2013 BFP #1 1/15/14...MMC 2/24/14...D&C 3/3/14 BFP #2 5/11/14 ... severe pre-e placental abruption our angel born sleeping at 22 weeks Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"