Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When did you stop swaddling?

Baby is starting to break out of the swaddle, but I notice when I don't swaddle him, he doesn't sleep as long.

Re: When did you stop swaddling?

• 14 weeks and still swaddled. He just doesn't like to sleep otherwise. He does manage to get an arm out every now and then. Thinking about getting Merlin's sleep suit though.
  • We swaddled until about 3.5 months. We used the Swaddle Me brand with the velcro. Once he started rolling over in his sleep we switch to

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited January 2015
    We stopped at 8 weeks. The Miracle Blanket worked best at keeping her hands off her face. We also liked the Halo SleepSack Swaddle 'cause it was easy to put on and can be used as a sleepsack after you're done swaddling.
  • We stopped swaddling at 3 months because the book I read "moms on call" (which is great for all mommy advice) said that it could start hurting their physical development to be swaddled past that point. Also, our pediatrician said the same thing. She said that a lot of their physical development happens when moving while asleep. So... We had the problem of what to do because our baby girl was sleeping through the night while swaddled and we were terrified to start over again. So we heard about the zipadee zip. It looked amazing but it also looked pretty expensive for what it consists of and I didn't love any of their designs. But I found a girl that makes something almost identical but it is cheaper and cuter. HA... Im obsessed with chevron and she made me a black and white one that we love. We tried it on our little angel and she slept right through the night. This sleeper prevents the baby from waking up with movements because it is just enough resistance. However, it still allows her to move so we feel good about our decision. This girl now has an etsy and you can even get it monogrammed.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/Created4her?ref=search_shop_redirect

Well worth the money we spent! Also back to the book "moms on call" .... my sister in law recommended the book after I told her we were having trouble with a schedule when we got home from the hospital. WOW--- how I wish she had recommended it earlier. When we started following the schedules in the back that's when she started sleeping through the night. I will be recommending it to everyone I know having a baby from now on. As well as the sleeper.

• I am a bit confused as my girl is 4 weeks old, she was 6 weeks prem and is out of her swaddle and in a different part of the bassinet each time I go to wake her. She grunt and groans and wiggles and that's it she's out, I have tried the Velcro swaddled, bigger sheets and wraps, not sure what to do, she slept so well swaddled in the SCU but now home a week and she's not into it.... Anyone had the same and what did you try? Seems way too young to stop swaddling
  • Nicb13 said:

bjb1979 said:

I am a bit confused as my girl is 4 weeks old, she was 6 weeks prem and is out of her swaddle and in a different part of the bassinet each time I go to wake her. She grunt and groans and wiggles and that's it she's out, I have tried the Velcro swaddled, bigger sheets and wraps, not sure what to do, she slept so well swaddled in the SCU but now home a week and she's not into it.... Anyone had the same and what did you try? Seems way too young to stop swaddling

DD is pretty strong and can't get out of the Velcro swaddles. I wrap her up really, really tight. However my son WAS strong enough to break out of everything very early on so we couldn't swaddle him.

I'd try different swaddles or swaddle tighter.

Thanks, I'll keep trying, she is a bit of a Houdini but something has to work!
  • My baby girl could be your little one bestie! SHE was 6 wks premature, spent 10 days in NICU and is now 7 wks old. For the last few weeks she has been breaking her arms out of the swaddle and now she rarely even let's me put them. We have done regular swaddle blankets, Swaddle me pod, Swaddle Me with velcro and Halo swaddle sack...results always the same. If she even let's me puts her arms in, eventually she wiggles her arms out. So, I started leaving her arms out and wrap up the rest of body up. She still grunts and wiggles and sometimes even ends up on her side, so now i only attempt the swaddling when she's fussy and needs the extra calming.
  • Our pediatrician told us to stop swaddling at 3 months but... he never wanted us to swaddle in the first place. He believes it prevents babies from developing physically at the rate that they should! However, our little one slept great swaddled so we appreciated his advice but did what we thought was best for our family and swaddled her. We used the Muslim swaddlers until she started breaking free from it and then the Velcro. At 3 months our little one wasn't rolling over yet and our pediatricians 3 month old grandbaby (who had never been swaddled) was so he convinced us we needed to stop. We thought she would be up all night once we quit swaddling but we used one of the swaddle transitioners. Several are out there. They are cheaper on etsy because they are individuals making them but you can buy them at zipadeezip.com also. We started with naps and then eventually went to using it at night and she never missed being swaddled. We still use it everynight.
  • You need to stop once they can roll over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We stopped swaddling at 4 days old. He was breaking out of every swaddle. It took a day or two for him to get used to moving so freely, but then he adapted. He sleeps way better now than he did before! 
  • We stopped around 12/13,weeks. Agree that the Miracle Blanket worked best for us by far.
  • We stopped at 5.5 months and used the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle. Our LO had hip dysplasia and that worked wonders for us! Another good option is double swaddling with a big blanket:
    https://youtu.be/EOnsKlluHIg
  • We stopped swaddling at 5 weeks, he's 9 weeks now. He loves sleeping with his hands near his face or over his head, so having him swaddled didn't always help put him to sleep as he would wiggle to get his hands free.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We swaddled in Sleepy Wings jacket. It solved all the problems for us. My son hated regular swaddles because they were so tight and loved sleeping with his arms up as others reported. This jacket solved both issues. Also, no concerns about hip dysplasia because it covers only the upper half of the body. Pacifier holders were plus as well. He didn't learn how to use them till he was 4 months though. I loved that I was able to keep him swaddled even when we were in car seat. He used to hate car rides and now he falls asleep right away. This was a true life saver for us and I am raving about it and recommend it everyone I talk to because of how much it helped us. image
  • stopped swaddling arms to side at 2 wks, son hated it and would fuss/try to break out.  we swaddle bottom half for warmth.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We stopped swaddling at around 2-3 weeks because it became obvious that she preferred to be able to move around.  She also has times where she doesn't want to be held...this girl just doesn't like to be restrained!

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"