Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Britax Marathon Clicktight Issues

snookums2013snookums2013 member
edited January 2015 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
Has anyone had issues with installing the Britax Marathon Clicktight?  I've wasted a few hours trying to install it along with some pulled muscles and a cut finger... ugh.  I think it might be defective.  I first tried with the seat belt and then with the anchors.  With both ways the clicktight compartment wouldn't close.  My husband finally got it to shut but then it was stuck when I tried to get it open again.  Also, it seems like the button to loosen the shoulder straps is too depressed because it's really hard to reach it and is at an awkward angle.  Nothing happens when I push it so I can't get the straps to loosen and it's too tight for my daughter.  Has anyone had similar issues?  Do you think something is wrong with the clicktight and affecting the straps too?  I'm trying to decide if I should return it and get the G4.1 instead because the anchors and shoulder strap release seem much easier to use.  Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Britax Marathon Clicktight Issues

• Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    edited January 2015
    Honestly, it sounds like you may be installing wrong.

The seatbelt install with the click tight is FAR easier than the LATCH install, which is why Briax chose not to put premium LATCH connectors on these seats.

When you install, DO NOT tighten the seatbelt. Open the panel, run the seatbelt through the path, buckle, pull out slack only, then close the click tight panel. What you are describing is what happens when people tighten the belt as if they were installing any other seat :)

I would definitely not trade this seat for a G4 seat. The Click tight is so much easier to use and will last so much longer rear facing.

This is an excellent video for a visual. If this is what you are doing and you are still having problems, call Britax.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MREf4BVW6Ys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    Thanks, that's good to know about not tightening the seat belt, but then how does it keep from moving?  Do you tighten after closing it?  Also, what about the button for the shoulder straps not working.  I can't get it to work even when I have the seat sitting on the floor in my house.  Is it only supposed to work when it's installed in the car?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's the beauty of the click tight! Closing the panel tightens the belt :)

I highly suggest reading the manual cover to cover.

I'm not sure about the harness release- it may be jammed. Call Britax in the morning and they can help you trouble shoot. They have great custom service.
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    Yea I did read the manual several times and it doesn't really focus on that button.
  • Options
    Did you watch an install video??  Also make sure that nothing is blocking where the seat clicks.

Here is one to help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usgfdisZLE

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for the tips.  I finally got it to work today... yay!  I think the main issue was tightening the seat belt myself before closing.  It still doesn't seem like the shoulder straps get that loose but at least it's better than before and I can get my daughter into it, even in her puffy coat.  The one issue I'm still having is getting it to recline more.  I think it may be because my seats are sloped downward towards the back.  So, I guess I'll try a rolled up towel or blanket under it like they suggest, but am wondering if that's really as safe.  I don't like that I can't see my daughter in the mirror now.  Any tips on how to position it so I can see her over the tall sides of the seat?  She's pretty tiny so doesn't sit up very high in it.
  • Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you could use some car seat guidance. If you are on FB, please join Car Seats For The Littles. It's a great place to learn all aspects of car seat safety. It's run by a dedicated group of CPSTs who focus on best safety practices. You can ask specific questions about your set up, post pictures to have your install checked, and make sure your child is harnessed correctly.

If you're not on FB, they also have a website with lots of good info, as does The Car Seat Lady.

Please, never put your child in a car seat wearing a puffy coat; it's very dangerous.
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    She's in a puffy coat?  That's a huge car seat no-no.  Also, the recline has many different settings.  Uninstall it and make it recline more and then re-install.

Please watch the video I posted.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    I did watch the videos provided and had already watched several videos on my own.  Sorry, not wearing a puffy coat in the car seat didn't come in my mommy manual.  This is the first I've heard of it.  So you take off the coat when you put them in the seat?  I can't really give her a blanket instead because she won't keep it on and could put it over her head.  I put her in a lighter coat today.
  • Options
    Please join CSFTL on FB. Car seat safety is not as straight forward as many think.

We are not judging/bashing. Everyone makes mistakes until you learn better :) It's a great site and will help you keep you kiddo safe! I have learned a ton of great information there.

So for clothing, you don't want any extra bulk in addition to everyday clothing. If it's really cold, preheat the car, make a car seat poncho...lots of options.

The reason I keep suggestion CSFTLs is because there is simply too much information to keep posting here. If you read some posts there, it will answer a lot of your questions!
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    The seat doesn't have a fabulous recline. Even fully reclined in my small SUV, I can't get the gauge to be toward the newborn end of the "ok" spectrum without a towel. But I started using this seat when LO was 6 mos old and he has excellent head control and absolutely does not sleep in the car, so we didn't have to worry about slump. (Sigh. my older one slept in the car. How I miss that.) We just accepted that it was halfway between newborn and toddler and called it a day.
  • Options
    I did watch the videos provided and had already watched several videos on my own.  Sorry, not wearing a puffy coat in the car seat didn't come in my mommy manual.  This is the first I've heard of it.  So you take off the coat when you put them in the seat?  I can't really give her a blanket instead because she won't keep it on and could put it over her head.  I put her in a lighter coat today.
    It isn't in mommy manuals lol ;) In fact, many parents don't know this rule.  A light fleece or light jacket with no puff  will be fine for the car.  Hat and gloves help keep her warm too.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    from what I've heard a lot of local fire departments and local police stations actually install car seats. all you have to do is call them to setup a time : )  you may want to try doing this if you're having issues with the seat! I know car seat installs can be a challenge!
  • Options
    Not all fire and police stations have a certified car seat technician though, so just make sure they do before having them install it. :-)
  • Options
    Not only do most police and fire stations not have a CPST on staff, you must verify by checking their card that who ever teaches you how to install your seat is in fact a CPST. No one should ever install your seat for you.

The best way to find a CPST is to go to https://cert.safekids.org/find-tech-0 and put in your location.
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    I live in a city that has more people than the state of North Dakota. And there isn't a single place that has a CPST in the whole city. I drove about 45 minutes to a larger city to get our seats checked. But yeah, people make it sound so much easier than it is to get a car seat checked. Part of the reason I'm in love with our Click Tight. It's the first car seat where I felt absolutely certain about the install being tight enough. In fact, we just bought another one yesterday to replace DD's Maxi Cosi Pria. I feel better that the seat is rock solid, and I feel more certain that her straps are tight enough and her chest-clip stays put. The chest clip seemed to slip down in the Pria.
  • Options
    It is fine to get the car seat checked after you have installed the seat if you are unsure.  But you really should learn to install the seat yourself.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"