December 2014 Moms

Walking LO outside

What outdoor temperature do you guys feel is too cold to take LO for a walk/jog? Obviously LO will be bundled up but I'm just wondering at what point is it just too cold to take her out regardless of how bundled she is. I'm really hot natured. What is comfortable for me tends to be chilly for others so it's hard for me to judge.

Re: Walking LO outside

• I'm in Los Angeles and get nervous below 70 but remind myself that moms around the country venture out in much colder weather, so we've made it out as cold as 65, but t hose are short walks because I am chilly.

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 
    2 Corinthians 12:9

• 2JEL said:

I'm in Los Angeles and get nervous below 70 but remind myself that moms around the country venture out in much colder weather, so we've made it out as cold as 65, but t hose are short walks because I am chilly.

Yeah I'm in South Texas so people wear Uggs and snow suits when it gets below 65. It's so ridiculous. But I was thinking about areas where it's colder and I'm like surely they go out when it's much chillier. I have taken her out in mid 50s but I wasn't sure if mid 40s would be too cold.
  • Loading the player...
  • cynplus2cynplus2 member
    edited January 2015
    It was -44 Fahrenheit in my part of Canada with the wind chill factor last week and this week is very cold too. It's hard to go out. Can't wait though.
  • We've gone out in the 40s, but if it's really windy I'm a chicken.
  • 30-40's is my personal comfort level (hoping to get out this weekend in the 40 degree heat wave).  But you have to factor in the wind.  If the car seat/stroller isn't covered to keep the wind out, even high 40's could be uncomfortable for a baby. 

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• No jogging at all until head and neck control is better established-- 4-6 mos.

As for temperature, I'm in Chicago, where it has been below freezing for a while. I don't worry so much about air temp; I can put her in a bunting, hat, and hood, and the stroller bassinet can be completely covered (as can her car seat, if attached). The wind is what keeps us inside.

The car seat attaches to the jogging stroller so she can jog with me. Once she hits 6 months she can go in without the car seat but it's safe for newborns to 6 months with the car seat according to the manual.
  • erien said:

30-40's is my personal comfort level (hoping to get out this weekend in the 40 degree heat wave).  But you have to factor in the wind.  If the car seat/stroller isn't covered to keep the wind out, even high 40's could be uncomfortable for a baby. 

Very true. The jogging stroller we have has a zip up canopy that will cover her completely to block out any wind. Also good for summer when it's crazy hot to block out too much sun.
  • I took LO for a 10 min walk when it was 39f. I live in canada so that's considered warm for winter weather. She was nice and bundled. I've had to take her out to appointments and whatnot when it was -1f :|
  • I brought Fox out when it was 28F and a little windy. That is pretty much as good as it gets here in Minnesota in January. I had him against my chest with a nice blanket wrapped around him. He did just fine. I was way too hot with my coat and his warm body against me! This was maybe 20-30 minute walk in a park nearby. I am thinking about going out today with him in a carrier. It's supposed to break 30.
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • We finly hit the 40s this week and I did venture out for our first walk finally. I actually wore him in the Moby. He was dressed lightly- cotton sleeper with a hat. I was wearing a fleece pullover and got pretty warm with him attached. He slept through it, but when we got home I noticed that his face and neck were pretty warm.
  • Northern Wisconsin here. We went for one walk and it was the mid 30's that day. It hasn't gotten that warm again and so she hasn't been out again.

The comment about the 70's is cute. If I lived by that we wouldn't get to take her out until mid June!
  • edited January 2015
    The car seat attaches to the jogging stroller so she can jog with me. Once she hits 6 months she can go in without the car seat but it's safe for newborns to 6 months with the car seat according to the manual.

Are you sure? I thought even with the car seat attachment you weren't suppose to run until they have better neck control. But like the others have said roads and streets are not conducive for jogging with any stroller this time of the year here so I haven't even thought about trying it. You need yak tracks just to walk some days due to ice.
  • This site has a good chart on taking kids outside. Of course, you have to use your own judgement on how long to stay out and how many layers to wear, but when you can the fresh air is good. https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
  • I took her for a few walks when she was a few days old-1 week old because the weather was in the upper 40s (which is warm here now).

We were in the negatives yesterday which totally sucks because I'm getting antsy here.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• arynras said:

No jogging at all until head and neck control is better established-- 4-6 mos.

As for temperature, I'm in Chicago, where it has been below freezing for a while. I don't worry so much about air temp; I can put her in a bunting, hat, and hood, and the stroller bassinet can be completely covered (as can her car seat, if attached). The wind is what keeps us inside.

To each her own. You're route options might be better than mine. I can't find a favorable surface around here in the winter. Ice, snow, potholes, etc. With or without car seat, the upper Midwest in winter isn't very conducive to running with a newborn. Stroller becomes too top-heavy and baby too light, posing a tipping risk when I can't find a truly smooth surface. Too much jostling for my taste, too. Thats why my BOB Ironman has stayed in the garage and I've stayed on the treadmill. :-( Good luck!

Oh yikes. We have a park with a trail in our neighborhood. I have to walk to the park though because the sidewalks are too bumpy. When I'm by myself I will jog to the park and then keep going but I can't with her. Luckily the trail once we get there is pretty smooth though.
  • The car seat attaches to the jogging stroller so she can jog with me. Once she hits 6 months she can go in without the car seat but it's safe for newborns to 6 months with the car seat according to the manual.

Are you sure? I thought even with the car seat attachment you weren't suppose to run until they have better neck control. But like the others have said roads and streets are not conducive for jogging with any stroller this time of the year here so I haven't even thought about trying it. You need yak tracks just to walk some days due to ice.

That's what the manual said. I don't see how it would be any bumpier than her riding in the car? I'll double check with her ped at her 2 month to be sure though and maybe hold off jogging with her until then.
  • @hollieandaaron2012‌ @Ainslie325‌ okay just reread the manual and y'all are right. Even with car seat, only walking until 12 months! They can ride without the car seat at 6 months but they should still only be walked until 12 months. Well shit I hope my LO is okay. She has only gone twice with me so far but now I'm freaking out!
  • 2JEL said:
    I'm in Los Angeles and get nervous below 70 but remind myself that moms around the country venture out in much colder weather, so we've made it out as cold as 65, but t hose are short walks because I am chilly.
    lol. in the kindest way of course :)

The most recent info I've seen is "anything above freezing is ok." We've gone out in low 40's with the Bob and jolly jumper arctic over top. It felt great to get out!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 40 is our self-imposed cutoff. Today was low 40's and sunny so we took him out. It was a bit windier than we anticipated but we were able to shield him between the car seat canopy and the BOB canopy. I live for these 40 degree or higher days. We are a 1-car family so if DH is at work and the weather is too cold, LO and I never leave the house. Cabin fever is real.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Wearing baby keeps us both warm.
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"