June 2015 Moms
Options

MY MOTHER

oh dear where to begin. My
Mom and I have never had the best relationship. I talk to her regularly she does a LOT to help me out. But It's been about 10 years (I'm 24) since I've told her I love her. I feel bad for this but it's something that has happened over time. Well I never wanted kids I was on birth control when I got pregnant so it was a huge surprise, my mother, in a joking manner, will tell people "wellll I'm exactly excited to be a grandma, it was an accident." Something along those lines. I know she is excited because she BEGS me to go to my dr apts. so she is joking when she says it but it really hurts my feelings. And so I push her even further away. I don't want her at my apts I would rather go alone. Another reason is she OBSESSES over my weight. Every apt I've been to so far she has made it a point to ask the dr my weight and comment on how she thinks it's high. It's really upsetting to me because my weight is a sinsitive subject with out the pregnancy gain. I don't need anyone else telling me about it. When she does things like this I push her away, I don't want her around I don't want to talk about my pregnancy with her because it's hard enough on me as it is. She gets upset and prys and prys until I flat out no filter tell her why I'm upset and then she gets defensive because I hurt her feelings by telling her she hurts mine when she isn't doing it intentionally. I feel awful right now because we just got into a huge fight over it and I feel bad for hurting her feelings. I don't know what to do in this situation. Talking to her just makes her mad and to be honest she acts a bit like a high schooler the way she gets so defensive

Re: MY MOTHER

• Options
    Also she has been the type of person my whole life that does not know boundaries. No one ever taught her filter, when to say it and not to say it. So just doesn't know when to stop talking.
  • Options
    So it sounds like when you "talk" to her it comes out more explosively rather than good communicating. You've been able to tell it here calmly. Read this again and think about how you can calmly say this back to your mum. Tell her that you need her attention and no interruptions until you finish what you have to say. It's important that you both talk on an adult level. tell her exactly how you feel and how she could be endangering your health when she fusses over your weight. 

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    pickles26 said:
    I hear you. My mom put me on a diet when I was 9. She still doesn't know I'm pregnant.
    Oh wow. That sucks. Sorry to hear you don't have much of a relationship with your mum. 

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• Options
    I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only girl in the universe who doesn't want her mom present for those things! Thank you!

And Im definitely getting excited about it, I'm 16 weeks now and I can't wait to find out what I'm having. It wasn't at all in my plan but I'm getting more and more excited everyday. It was really tough at first but everything is getting much better:)
  • Options
    It sounds like your mom makes you feel awful in a number of ways. I'm so sorry you can't be close to her because it's so painful, and it may be particularly difficult when you're stepping into motherhood and thinking a lot about your caregiving experience. I'm sure it's hard, but hang in there, and seek out other supports while you deal with all of this.

Married to my wonderful husband 9.13.14

Pregnancy Ticker
    We love because He first loved us. 
    1 John 4:19
  • Options
    You would probably love and like your mother a whole lot more if you could set up defined boundaries and stick to them. Even if these boundaries seem like pushing her away, it is what you need to have a healthy relationship with her. It is also what you need to have a healthy positive life with your husband (or significant other, assuming he's in the picture) and child.You are starting your own family now. Your own mother-child relationship. Do not allow her toxicity to hurt your new family. 

If I were you I would find a good book on setting up boundaries with loves ones. I read one once years ago but don't remember the name. Once you figure out what those healthy boundaries need to be, stick to them. If you are able to, communicate these new boundaries and reasons for the boundaries with your mother. If not able to communicate them for whatever reason, just stick to them anyway.

Just an example of what I mean by boundaries would be the weight thing. Do not allow your mother to ask about your weight. If she asks the doctor, or asks you, you need to immediately say, "Mom that is not your concern and I would appreciate it if you never ask that again."
    Baby #1 DS born August 2012
    Baby #2 DD Born January 2014
    Baby #3 ?? Due June 5 2015

• Options
    By the way, I am not close to my mom per se, but we have a great relationship. I would never ever ever ever ever want her or anyone beside my husband to come to dr appointments with me! That is a private thing between you and your dr where you should be able to be open and honest about symptoms, concerns, emotional problems that could possibly lead you towards prenatal or postpartum depression. Also the only person allowed in delivery/labor with me (besides hospital staff of course) is my husband. That's it. No one else. So if you are like me and need your privacy or space, or having people around in stressful situations stresses you out even worse, then you may also need to make sure its clear your mom is not welcome in the labor/delivery room. Your child's birth should be a positive experience (as much as possible), and if your mom being there will put a dark cloud over the experience, then make it clear to her that you want to be alone during birth. There's always doulas if you need a woman to support you during labor that will solely be there to support, no baggage added.
    Baby #1 DS born August 2012
    Baby #2 DD Born January 2014
    Baby #3 ?? Due June 5 2015

• Options
    cag11890 said:

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only girl in the universe who doesn't want her mom present for those things! Thank you!

And Im definitely getting excited about it, I'm 16 weeks now and I can't wait to find out what I'm having. It wasn't at all in my plan but I'm getting more and more excited everyday. It was really tough at first but everything is getting much better:)

Glad to hear you are excited now! I went through a no kids phase in my twenties but as soon as I hit 30 that changed pretty quick. & good luck with your mom ;)

• Options
    Are you able to talk to you dr privately, maybe email him or her, and explain you don't want your mother knowing your weight - better yet, asking questions? Maybe they'll be able to direct the discussion in such away that it's between patient & dr and Mom is a guest?

My mom and I get along pretty well, but she does have a thing about my weight, so I get that too. It's bad enough that other family members have told her she's being weird. I just tell her my dr isn't worried and change the subject.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with your mom. I think it's normal to not want her to be a part of every experience - especially doctors appointments! I'm very close with my mom and she's not invited to mine - and we are currently living with my parents!
    My dad is the a- hole about weight so I get that too! It sucks!!! I'm sorry
  • Options
    OP, do you live with your mom? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you do just based on your initial post. You didn't mention the baby's father at all, so it also sounds like you're going through this pregnancy on your own. If that's the case, maybe your mom is just trying to be there for you and maybe her comments about your weight are coming from a place of genuine concern and aren't meant to be malicious. My own mom has been to more Dr appts with me than my DH. She has lived through everything I'm experiencing right now and has been a huge source of support for me. I love my DH, but I can't imagine going through this pregnancy without my mom's help. I think you need to have a heart to heart with your mom about how you feel and maybe establish some boundaries so you both can be happy. It sounds like she's pretty excited to be a grandma. This is a time in your life that can actually bring you guys closer and make your relationship better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Tell her there will have to be rules now for you two to have a normal relationship. It will keep you both from being hurt. For starters she is not allowed to bring up your weight.. Or you will break into her house on a pregnancy hungry " screw you " rage and eat all her snacks !! :D but seriously.. Sit down with her tell her what you are not willing to deal with... And have a serious discussion about it. She's going to get upset regardless... But you do not control how ppl feel... But you can control how ppl treat you.
  • Options
    Anjelyk2Anjelyk2 member
    edited January 2015
    @cag11890‌ ... Most mothers have a thing about weight - it is not specific to you or your mother. When my mother does it, I just change topics because I tried talking to her about it as long as I can remember ... to no avail. At some stage, I notice my grandmother (mommy's mom) does it too! It is how they were raised and chances are talking to her will not help.

Re your appointments, if your mother is the person that has to be at your appointments - have the nurse discuss weight one day. Ensure she explains that it MUST increase over the next 5 mths and that after birth you can only do mild to moderate exercise. When mommy brings it up again - remind her what your certified medical practioner said or just change the topic.

Re her excitement about being a grandmother - have a chat with her about how excited you are about becomming a mother. Put her on the spot about how excited she is to become a grandma. Keep sharing your excitement with her, she will eventually stop saying it was an accident.

Finally - re telling her you love her...there are various ways to do that. Start simple; buy her a card or flowers or something she likes to tell her thanks for supporting you in your pregnancy. Hug her and say thanks or even kiss her on the cheek. Tell her the reasons you are thankful that she is in your life. You will realize that she actually really loves you but can only show you in the way she knows.

Sorry for the epistle; just sharing the practical things done to fix a terrible relationship with my mommy. I also prayed about it a whole lot - prayer had the biggest impact to be honest!
  • Options
    suzysurparissuzysurparis member
    edited January 2015
    This sounds like how my mother and I would be if I didnt lay down the law about 5 years ago. Your mother sounds like she is a narcissist and is manipulating (possibly emotionally abusing) you. She has unhealthy communication skills and has not taught you how to communicate healthily because she cannot. I would recommend going to a counselor/therapist, reading the book Will I Ever be Good Enough: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers (or other self-help books), establishing solid boundaries, and being polite but firm in your discussions. My mom plays a lot of tricks, she likes to carpool so I can't leave places that she knows I dont want to go, so I started always driving myself. She still pouts and acts hurt sometimes especially infront of other people, I just say "I'm sorry you feel that way but this is what I'm doing." I also left the country, which made things a lot better, but she still leads me to panic attacks with her shit if I don't mentally prepare and protect myself on visits. My brother, SIL, and nephew moved in with her and I've noticed a big improvement because her shit causes my SIL to cry (I stopped crying when my feelings were hurt years ago) and my brother to scold her like a child. Plus she sees some of her own behavior in my SIL with my brother and nephew and has started to recognize how much pain it causes.

Coming from someone who has had similar experiences, you need to keep in mind the following things:
    1. You cannot change her, she can try to change herself but you cannot wait on that as it is not assured
    2. You can change your feelings and actions/reactions
    3. You should work on this as soon as possible because you will be a mother soon and you could repeat the cycle/behaviors with your own child
    4. Even though she is your mother, you are not required to put her desires above your needs

I find for my own dealings, it's easier to control myself if I look at her actions/baiting/judging/etc as pitiful rather getting angry/annoyed. And dont let her go to the dr apts anymore.
    J'15 January Signature Challenge: Pinterest Fail: I want to do one, but I was late in starting and now I'm too lazy to get in on it. This is how most of my pinterest fails normally occur, at least I didnt buy supplies.

TTC since March 2014
    BFP#1 09/25/2014 EDD 6/4/2015

BabyFetus Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    Your mother sounds a lot like my mother. Wr have cut her out of our lives as much as possible. I don't discuss my pregnancy with her. I certainly don't open or allow an opening to discuss my weight (she still somehow manages to make little comments). We try to see her as rarely as possible and she is never ever going to be alone with DD because I don't need her making DD insecure.

My mom does try to help out when she can and I appreciate it but honestly she seems to think she can throw gifts or money at us and we'll let her treat us like crap and...no. No we won't.
  • Options
    Phew...I'm sorry, OP. As I was growing up my father constantly told me "suck in your gut!!". And most compliments I got from either parent were on my looks, not my intelligence or other talents. As much as I love him, I couldn't imagine bringing my father to an appointment. I can barely stand to hear "Wow you're getting BIG" every time I see him. It sounds like maybe you just need to set up some firmer boundaries, for you and your baby's own good. I mention your baby only because I recently found out my little one is a girl, and my biggest parenting concern is how NOT to project my body image issues onto her the way my parents did to me - and I'm also very worried about letting them babysit for fear they will make comments about her body when she's old enough to understand what they mean.

Just wanted to say, I feel you...I think many of us have been there, unfortunately. Hope it gets better.
  • Options
    I don't live with my mom, my boyfriend and I do live together but his work schedule makes him not able to go to the appointments and we have also had our share of issues since I found out I was pregnant. He would take off work to go if I asked but it's kind of one of those things that I really don't care if he's there or not.
  • Options
    cag11890 said:
    I don't live with my mom, my boyfriend and I do live together but his work schedule makes him not able to go to the appointments and we have also had our share of issues since I found out I was pregnant. He would take off work to go if I asked but it's kind of one of those things that I really don't care if he's there or not.
    I should have done this before responding earlier, but I did read your other posts and got caught up on your issues with your BF. I am so sorry OP and I can't imagine going through all of that drama and a pregnancy at the same time. I don't really have any other advice to offer, but I sincerely hope everything works out for the best for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think part of my reason of not wanting to let go of my boyfriend is because I know that I don't want my mom there. After everything my boyfriend has done to me I would still rather have him there than my mother. It's a really screwed up feeling because what he did he did on purpose what she did she does subconsciously she has no idea she's hurting my feelings she think she's being funny. But I would still rather have him there for the birth and the important things.
  • Options
    OP navigating through my relationship with my mom has always been a challenge for me - so I know how you feel.  It sounds like you and her are very different people - so like other PP have said, the best would be to setup boundaries and to stick to them. They will become the new normal and hopefully will help improve the relationship.  You have a child to prepare for - you shouldn't have to worry about hurting your moms feelings by simply making your own decisions. If they hurt her, thats her issue, not yours. At this point, you need to do what is best for YOU and for BABY, and not worry about how that impacts anyone else.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You're def not the only girl who struggles with her mother! Whenever people talk about how their mom is their best friend and such a support/help/comfort and they just want her around, I feel super awkward and just nod and smile, the whole time thinking "hm I wonder what that's like." My mom is the last person I want to run to with big news or during sad/tough times. I know that all I'll get is a lecture on how I somehow screwed up.

As a couple PPs have said, boundaries are key. Now, I know I could NEVER tell my mother what the boundaries I've set are. She'd tell me I'm being over dramatic and then laugh them off. So, I simply know what they are and follow them myself. This often means being super blunt about things, i.e. "No mother, I'm not taking the old baby crib from 1986 in your attic to be frugal. I want a new crib and that's all there is to it." After I tell her my decisions, I make it extremely clear that they are not up for advice, debate or opinions. We also have about 3 safe topics we can talk about that won't result in a blow out and we stick to them.

Our relationship improved a lot when I took the view that I don't need her approval or for her to be proud of me. As long as I feel good about my life choices, that's what matters. I now view her as just another acquaintance in my life who can be pleasant to talk to and spend time with, but who is on a "need to know" basis when it comes to big things. It has been much better that way! I hope you can figure out a way to have a relationship with your mom that is healthy as well!
  • Options
    mathistmmathistm member
    edited January 2015
    I mean this in absolutely the nicest way possible:
    It sounds like you are partaking in some unhealthy relationships. It seems like you are choosing the lesser of evils when it comes to your mom and your boyfriend. Whatever he has done, that is not so good, should not be glossed over because you don't feel he is as bad as your mom.  I would strongly suggest speaking to someone about relationships and boundaries-a therapist, or someone who can hold a mirror up to your life and examine it with you when it comes to your relationships. 
    I say this mostly from experience. I have had a rough relationship with my mother from the start of my life and your mom and my mom sound awfully similar.  It is hard because you feel bad because she is your mom. It took me seeing a therapist for awhile to recognize that she was unhealthy and manipulated me into unhealthy boundaries.  It was something I wanted figured out before I had children so I didn't subconsciously do it to my own kids after experiencing it for years myself.  It really sounds like there are some conflicting things going on in your life, but you deserve to be happy and create a happy life for yourself. 
    This is something that really helped put some things in perspective for me, maybe it could help:

"Not all toxic people are cruel and uncaring. Some of them love us dearly. Many of them have good intentions. Most are toxic to our being simply because their needs and way of existing in the world force us to compromise ourselves and our happiness. They aren't inherently bad people, but they aren't the right people for us. And as hard as it is, we have to let them go. Life is hard enough without being around people who bring you down, and as much as you care, you can't destroy yourself for the sake of someone else. You have to make your well-being a priority. Whether that means breaking up with someone you care about, loving a family member from a distance, letting go of a friend, or removing yourself from a situation that feels painful-you have every right to leave and create a safer space for yourself" -Daniell Koepke
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 9/27/14, BFP 10/13/14, EDD 6/21/14

• Options
    mathistm said:

This is something that really helped put some things in perspective for me, maybe it could help:

"Not all toxic people are cruel and uncaring. Some of them love us dearly. Many of them have good intentions. Most are toxic to our being simply because their needs and way of existing in the world force us to compromise ourselves and our happiness. They aren't inherently bad people, but they aren't the right people for us. And as hard as it is, we have to let them go. Life is hard enough without being around people who bring you down, and as much as you care, you can't destroy yourself for the sake of someone else. You have to make your well-being a priority. Whether that means breaking up with someone you care about, loving a family member from a distance, letting go of a friend, or removing yourself from a situation that feels painful-you have every right to leave and create a safer space for yourself" -Daniell Koepke

I love this quote!  I need to note it down as a way to explain to people why my mother and I don't have a relationship, she was not invited to my wedding and doesn't even know I'm pregnant.

OP - You've been given some great advice here by PP's.  If you aren't ready or willing to go as far as removing the toxic people from your life at this point, taking some control and setting boundaries is the best place to start.  You can't control your mother but you can control the situations that you put yourself in to with her in ways that keep you from feeling angry, hurt and upset each time.  Think about the things that trigger you like weight and find a way to shut that down.  IMO, the Dr. or nurse should NOT be telling her anything about your chart in the first place so kindly request that that information not be shared with anyone whether they are invited to your apt or not. 

One of my biggest fears now that I know we are having a girl is that we will end up with a distanced relationship but I am determined to not be that kind of mom.  Lots of reading, counseling and desire to be different will make that happen.  I hope that you are able to see these unhealthy relationships and start taking steps to make positive changes for you and your new baby.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"