February 2013 Moms

Dry, cracking skin on hand - relief needed!

MeggiemugginsMeggiemuggins member
edited January 2015 in February 2013 Moms
Hi ladies,

between diaper changes, washing sippy cup valves and being handed boogers, I wash my hands a LOT.  I use plain Castile soap, but the skin on my right index finger knuckle is SO itchy and so dry that it's cracking.  I put on lotion, but it stings and tit only lasts until the next time I wash my hands. I've also tried coconut oil.  does anyone have any suggestions?  Should I try straight-up Vaseline?

I can't even blame Winter. I live in Vancouver, which is basically a rainforest, so it's not exactly dry here.

Re: Dry, cracking skin on hand - relief needed!

• Try Udder Balm! You can find it at places like Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm, and GrassFarm & Fleet. It's designed for design farmers (and cows) but it works fantastic.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I also use utter cream. I still have to put it on a couple of times a day, but I find it lasts a while even when washing my hands a bunch.
  • Loading the player...
  • ericalee27ericalee27 member
    edited January 2015
    I'm a LUSH junkie.  They have a good hand lotion, Helping Hands

I use Aquaphor for basically everything in a pinch.  Also old school Neutrogena Norwegian lotion if I'm out of LUSH or don't want to drop the dough.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Aquaphor is good for nighttime, but not sure it will work/stay on during the day.  So, I will second old school Neutrogena.  To me its the best stuff out there - soaks in, heals, and moisturizes.

DS1 licks under his bottom lip when he's outside in the winter, and gets this horrible red chapped ring around his mouth.  I layer Neutrogena and aquaphor at night, clears it right up!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• I've also been told that "antibacterial" soap is unnecessary and redundant, because all soap is antibacterial with proper washing techniques--and the antibacterial agents are super drying.  Maybe try something that is more like that? (But I'm not a chemist so wth do I know.)

Or Dawn with the lotion... ;)

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Aquaphor or Lanolin!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This happened to me recently because of being a crazy hand-washer with the new baby.  I read to just use hand sanitizer instead of washing (unless your hands have actual stuff on them), and then to use Aquaphor at night.  Cleared it right up for me!

• If its itchy I would actually use hydrocortisone cream
  • Tulips114 said:

Aquaphor or Lanolin!

This! I use lanolin at night, and aquaphor during the day.
  • Castor oil, or Aquaphor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"