Working Moms

Would you carpool to daycare?

My BFF and I send our kids to the same daycare.  We live within 10 min of each other and 20 min away from daycare (in the opposite direction of work).  We've talked about the possibility of carpooling next year when just her DD and my DD are in daycare.  We usually drop off and pick up around the same time, so it seems like it could be a benefit.  Right now I see the main downside is having an extra car seat in our cars.  I think that we both understand that under certain instances:  vacation, sick days, etc. that we would be on our own.  Is there any downside that I'm missing?  Would you do this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

Re: Would you carpool to daycare?

• So my bff who I've love the most is a little (lot) flakey and she is always running late. I could never carpool with her. But if your friend is on it and able to be ready each day to make sure you aren't late I'd try it.

• Are you talking about driving together to daycare and then driving together to work? Or just someone doing drop offs/someone else doing pick ups then switching it up?  If its the latter, I would say definitely do it, with the understand that if you get out of work early one day, you will pick up your child and she will have to go pick up hers and vice versa.....as long as you both have car seats in your car at all times so that if something comes up and you need to get your child at a different time that doesnt present an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • We don't work near each other only live near each other.  We are thinking of family doing drop offs and the other doing pick ups.  She is really reliable the only caveat is if she and her DH have to work late (their schedules are more demanding than my DH's and mine) but I wouldn't mind her DD coming to our house for a bit until one of them can pick her up.

I think we might do a trial run for a month and then see if it's working for everyone.  Like @Lynn0514 said the worst thing that could happen  is we go back to separate daycare runs and I think we could do that with no hurt feelings.

View Full Size Image

• I absolutely would give it a go. My husband does all of our drop-offs and pick-ups, and he is really overwhelmed by it, mostly because our daughter is such a stinker in the car. I think a friend would make the ride more pleasant for her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I would probably try it. Your DD is 1.5 about right now?

The things that come to my mind:

1) Getting two kids into and out of the car is logistically harder than if you just have one-think about whether they are both walking or walking well enough to walk into the school. If not do you need a double stroller?

2) I would say how hard it is as far as separation depends on the kid and maybe the age of the kid as well. I would think having a friend involved would make the emotional aspect of separation easier, but it would kind of suck if one of them is screaming from the moment they get into the car all the way to the entrance to the room. KWIM?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"