Working Moms
Options

Can't believe I said that

Yesterday I was on the phone with one of my outside lawyers. She works on a bunch of my projects, and she's very, very good. My company has spent a ton of time developing her because our industry is very strange and we need outside counsel who understand the industry and us. Anyway, she was due to give birth last Friday. I actually asked her if she was coming back. Wtf is wrong with me???? I'm so irritated. I apologized and admitted that was the question that most irritated me both times I was pregnant. And she was funny about it. But seriously. Wtf is wrong with me???

I think I should shave my head and wear a sackcloth for a year. I suck.

Re: Can't believe I said that

• Options
    I wouldn't sweat it too much. The fact that you realized your mistake more than makes up for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    people ask me that all the time, it doenst bother me. i dont know why they bother asking me because even if i wasnt coming back its not like i would tell them, but it doesnt annoy me. i dont think its a big deal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, it never bothered me the FIRST time people asked that question. It irritated the hell out of me when they kept asking the question because they didn't believe my response, or were expecting it to somehow change as my pregnancy progressed.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    As a general matter, I never took offense at anything anyone said to me and just assumed they had good intentions. And if they didn't, it was their problem, not mine. That said - it was hard for me not to take offense to this question. Especially since I went to school for 16 years after I became able to start making babies.

And that's vaguely on topic. It's forgiveable. And doesn't sound like it was an issue for her.
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • Options
    This makes me laugh because it is so something that an ambitious mom would feel bad about saying!!!  I think the vast majority of the world wouldn't think twice about the question, but since it offended you so much while you were pregnant, you just assume it will offend others.

I am the same way, so I totally get it and can very much relate.  I just think it's funny because I am pretty sure that if you posted this on any other board, people would think you were crazy for even being upset about it!!  I really wouldn't worry about it.  My guess is that she took it as a compliment (as in, please please please don't think about not coming back, we need you!).
  • Options
    Thanks, all. I did tell her that I was asking because (1) she's a great young lawyer and I look forward to many years working together, but (2) if she wasn't, I wanted her contact info so we could stay in touch. But Jesus. I'm horrified at myself.

@K3am‌ - omg. That is awesome. That has to be quite a backstory.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"