April 2015 Moms
Options

Tdap/Whooping Cough Vaccine

So my nurse informed me yesterday at my checkup that I, along with everyone else who will be holding my baby needs to get the TDap shot before my baby arrives. I was already aware that this was something myself and my husband, and possibly a few others would need to get, mostly because of the commercials I've seen. But saying "everyone that will be holding the baby"... I went home and told my husband and he wasn't as on board with having everyone get vaccinated as I'd hoped. I did a little Google research on the conditions, etc and definitely understand the reason for the vaccine. I read it off to my husband and he still seemed a little skeptical, almost like "oh another new thing they've come up with", and then he mentioned that we didn't get a vaccine when my (3 year old) niece was born.  I'm a FTM, and am just wondering what others opinions are on this. Get every single last person who plans on holding the baby to get the shot? Just grandparents/aunts/uncles/super close friends? We don't really plan on being the type of parents who won't let people hold the baby, we definitely want to build up her immune system early, and she'll most likely be going to daycare around 6 or so weeks. But nonetheless, I don't want to be stupid and not insist to those who will be there that they do what needs to be done. Sorry for the long post.

Re: Tdap/Whooping Cough Vaccine

• Options
    I am wondering the same thing! I feel uncomfortable about making all my close friends and family members get a vaccine... My sister is a RN and never mentioned it to us when her baby was born 5 months ago. Looking forward to more thoughts on this topic!
  • Options
    Because I am allergic to the vaccine & will pass 0 immunities onto my baby, everyone who is planing on coming to help with the baby will be getting the vaccine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband and I got it. DD is up to date. I didn't force anyone else. No one else holds the baby on a daily basis. I'm a SAHM. My IL'S have the most contact with her and they work for themselves and have limited exposure. I'm comfortable with that. If you aren't then ask people who will have a lot of contact with the baby to have the shot. I believe the first pertussis shot for the baby is at 2 months.
  • Options
    mollymsalyersmollymsalyers member
    edited January 2015
    The thing about this is that, for the first six months anything in your system (I.e. Flu shot) will protect the baby. After that they get their own shot to protect themselves. My plan is to get me and baby vaccinated just to be safe, after that if you are sick I am requiring you to tell me and I'll make a decision on whether or not it's safe for you to touch my child. That's just my opinion, but do some research and see what best meets your needs.

ETA: I'm going to have to check on the first six months statement, but I'm pretty sure it's right. I'll edit if I'm wrong!
  • Options
    I didn't ask anyone to get vaccinated when I had my second. It was recommended, but I didn't feel like there was much of a risk with the people who would be around us. 
    DD 1 - Aug. 2010
    DD 2 - Jan. 2013
    Baby Boy -  EDD April 12, 2015

• Options
    My husband and I got the shot as well as my mother who will be watching her when I go back to work. I mentioned it to my IL's and if they choose to then they do.... the only reason I mentioned it to them is because we have a number of breakouts of it and 3 or 4 deaths from whooping cough this year in the state.

BFP: 9/21/13 | EDD:5/31/14 | MC confirmed:11/6/13 | D&C:11/12/13
    BFP: 1/14/14 | EDD: 9/21/14 | MC confirmed: 2/3/14 | D&C: 2/4/14
    DX 3/18/14 (Complete) Septate Uterus | Resection 4/22/14
    BFP: 8/5/14 | EDD: 4/19/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    With DS my mom and DH got the shot as we were the ones primarily caring for him.

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am a FTM too, I am suppose to get my shot next week. Glad to see these posts, I have been doing research like crazy but everything I find is like every other vaccs they offer pros and cons are the same. Typically I am non-vaccs but this one I am considering.. 
  • Options
    I got mine yesterday. DH and my mom who will be watching her are both getting it. I won't be asking others to get it. If they are sick, they won't be around her until they are well.
  • Options
    kjuryflkjuryfl member
    edited January 2015
    I won't be asking extended family/friends to get it, but my daughter, DH (he will be getting it), and I are all vaccinated. I know a few people whose newborns came down with whooping cough because mom, dad, or sibling was not vaccinated. Saddest/scariest thing ever. Anyone that is sick will not be allowed over until they are well.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    There's a girl in my city who's been on the news trying to talk about the vaccine because one of her twins died at two weeks old after contracting whooping cough. As far as I've heard no one in her immediate family had it, which is scary to me. It was clearly brought in by a visitor if no one in the immediate family had it.

I don't think you can get everyone, but definitely any one with extended close contact in my book.
  • Options

Whooping cough has been going around in a big way in the last few years and infants die from it.  I'll be getting mine and so will DH, and I will be strongly advising anyone else who is coming to visit us until baby can get it's vaccine to get theirs also.  Anyone sick needs to take a week or so and get better, then is welcome to come visit when they aren't sick anymore. 

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Options
    I don't see how you can make all those people get the shot. I got it, and my husband will get it, but other than that, I feel fine about it.
  • Options
    miracle4x said:

I don't see how you can make all those people get the shot. I got it, and my husband will get it, but other than that, I feel fine about it.

I just told everyone that if they want to see the baby or even be allowed into my house, they must be up to date on vaccinations. If they don't want to get them, then they're not welcome. Period.
  • Options
    I agree that it's tough to make friends get the vaccine. When DS was born, though, I made my mom and my in-laws get the vaccine before he was born. You can't force anyone to get it, but you can say, "if you are not vaccinated, you will have to wait to meet the baby until he/she can be vaccinated." Then you just have to trust people to be honest.

Hopefully April babies will be exposed to minimal whooping cough before they can get the vaccine. With my October baby it was a bit more scary because it was the season for disease.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My H and I got it before my son was born but I didn't make anyone else. I'm a sahm, but if my baby was going to be under the care of someone else I would definitely want them to get the vaccine as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My OB suggested myself, hubby, grandparents, siblings, and anyone caring for the baby. Basically, anyone who will be around him/her the most. Others will just have to scrub up and have limited time with the baby until he/she is vaccinated down the line.
  • Options
    DH has already gotten his, and I'm getting mine at the OB next week. It's a non-negotiable.
  • Options
    I got mine yesterday. My arm is so sore today!

DH is up to date on his. The only people I'm really forcing to get it are my parents and my in laws as they will be spending the most time with the baby.
    < Pregnancy Ticker >
  • Options
    I actually got this last year and got a horrible reaction to the vaccine. It gave me a fever for 2 days and my arm swelled. Crazy!! I have never had a reaction to a vaccine before!
  • Options
    A couple of years back a coworker of mine actually got whooping cough. It was awful. He was sick for most of the semester. Luckily I'd been boosted so I didn't get it but others did. It's wickedly contagious.
    My arm was sore, but I expect all friends and family to have a sore arm to keep little one safe.
  • Options

I actually got this last year and got a horrible reaction to the vaccine. It gave me a fever for 2 days and my arm swelled. Crazy!! I have never had a reaction to a vaccine before!

Fever after vaccination usually means your immune system is working very hard to make antibodies. Feeling crappy for a couple of days sucks but is so much better than weeks of illnesses or transmitting whooping cough to someone else.

Also, everyone, please make sure everyone is up to date with the Tdap vaccine and not just the td booster. A lot of people think there up to date when they've really just had the td booster and are not protected from whooping cough (the P) at all.
  • Options
    I had a mild case of whooping cough last year. I only received a mild case because I had recieved the shot. It was still miserable! I was out of work and school for 28 days. Whooping cough is absolutely miserable and I will do everything I can to keep my son from getting it. I will be making sure that all family and friends that will be around my child have their Tdap.
  • Options
    I wouldn't ask friends/family to vaccinate. I would pay attention to who is coming around my baby?? Do they have a cough? Are they sniffling?? My oldest got the last of the series and 2 years later got pertussis/whooping cough! Hand hygiene, wether sick or not.. And since everyone is now told to cough in their elbow, where baby's neck rests.. Elbow hygiene!!! Soap and water prevents the spred of so many illnesses..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"