1st Trimester

When are you all planning to tell your job?

just curious... I'm torn as to when it's the right time right at three months? Or later I just don't have a clue.

Thanks again
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: When are you all planning to tell your job?

• I told my boss fairly quickly. I had a loss and a bad UTI at the same time earlier in the year and missed a lot of time with those issues. When I got pregnant again, another UTI followed and I told my boss what was going on and that I wanted to make sure this time wasn't like last time. She totally understood and actually told me that she is pregnant TOO! Just 3 weeks behind me! Exciting times! =D
    1/19/15 - Officially Team Blue! 
    "Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation!"
  • I'm telling everyone at the three month mark so hard to wait :) but I want everyone to hear it from my husband and I not other people. Good luck and congratulations!
  • Loading the player...
  • I told my boss earlier than I would have liked bc...I'm a teacher...he came to observe me first thing in the morning and I was miserably sick. I had to let him know bc he kept offering to move my observation and let me go home. He's a dad of younger kids so I think he figured it out before I actually told him.

The rest of my coworkers I won't tell until later. I told my teaching partners bc they're friends and there with me all the time but we're waiting til 12-14 weeks for the rest.
  • I told mine early, because there aren't many of us in the office and incase of being sick or anything she needed to know...I told everyone else at the 9/10 week mark because that's when we told our family anyhow.
  • I told mine early because they will often send people home if they think you are sick. I got really bad ms and I didn't want to be send home for something no one can caught... not from me anyway lol
  • I told mine at 8 weeks.  I had a rough 1st pregnancy and wanted him to have a heads up.  He was awesome about it.  I told the rest of my co-workers last week.  It really all depends on how comfortable you feel about telling people.  I knew my office would be okay with it and supportive so I didn't hold back this time.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I told mine early because they will often send people home if they think you are sick. I got really bad ms and I didn't want to be send home for something no one can caught... not from me anyway lol
    I wish more places did this.  There is a girl across from me puking her guts out ( flu ) and they're just walking by like no big deal. Um, send her ass home? I just got over being sick and I don't need to be sick again...
  • ipumpkin said:
    I told mine early because they will often send people home if they think you are sick. I got really bad ms and I didn't want to be send home for something no one can caught... not from me anyway lol
    I wish more places did this.  There is a girl across from me puking her guts out ( flu ) and they're just walking by like no big deal. Um, send her ass home? I just got over being sick and I don't need to be sick again...
    ME too! But really I can't tell you how horrified I was at the idea of tossing my cookies at work if I couldn't make it to the bathroom. I know it happens and that people look the other way, but we work on floors that are very large and open and you can hear people talking clear across the floor. 
  • GSUDavis said:
    ipumpkin said:
    I told mine early because they will often send people home if they think you are sick. I got really bad ms and I didn't want to be send home for something no one can caught... not from me anyway lol
    ME too! But really I can't tell you how horrified I was at the idea of tossing my cookies at work if I couldn't make it to the bathroom. I know it happens and that people look the other way, but we work on floors that are very large and open and you can hear people talking clear across the floor. 

I know! I had so much anxiety about puking at my desk. Luckily, I never did...YET! Hearing her over there gagging though makes me want to upchuck my cereal... I swear, if she gets me sick I will throw the biggest temper tantrum they've ever seen a 26 year old throw. I just got over being super sick,  I don't need it again.
  • ipumpkin I hear ya!! I just kicked out a sinus infection and I was miserable. I told my DH that it should be cosmically impossible to be pregnant AND sick because it sucks and it's not fair!!! LOL *throw temper trantrum too*
  • omg, head colds/sinus infections suck. I agree...we should only get one or the other. As if being pregnant isn't hard enough! I got over some sort of virus also...DH was plagued with it so I tried to keep my distance, slept in guestroom followed him around with Lysol...still managed to get sick.  Luckily not as bad as he did....he is just getting over pneumonia. ick..
  • I told my boss at 5 weeks. I teach preschool and was nauseated. I needed her help to come up with a plan for someone to supervise my class in case I needed to run to the bathroom.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • After my first appointment if everything looks good. At that point if something happened, I would need to take time off anyway and they would need an explanation. Plus I suck at keeping secrets so the earlier I can get it off my chest the less I'll be worrying.

BabyFetus Ticker

• lacysho said:
    I told my boss earlier than I would have liked bc...I'm a teacher...he came to observe me first thing in the morning and I was miserably sick. I had to let him know bc he kept offering to move my observation and let me go home. He's a dad of younger kids so I think he figured it out before I actually told him. The rest of my coworkers I won't tell until later. I told my teaching partners bc they're friends and there with me all the time but we're waiting til 12-14 weeks for the rest.
    Exactly the same for me. I teach third grade and I told my principal this week. I was spotting on Tuesday and went to the doctor (everything is fine, thank God) and I wanted to make sure she was up to speed. Good thing, too, because today I had to go in first thing in the morning to get an injection since I'm RH-. She let me come in after the appt and didn't charge me time. She actually has been amazing about it.

I told my team this week. Everyone else, including my HR, when I'm 12 weeks.
  • I told my boss today, earlier than I originally planned. I think I'm due late September and was planning on telling work further into my 1st trimester when the jig was up and I'm vomiting. I told her today because she was booking us all a surprise trip to FL and I'm still not in the clear for not being high risk. I feel relieved though. The thought of making up a white lie was going to cause me more stress than I needed to deal with, and she's super cool. She definitely cried and I'm glad it's not a secret anymore. I'm not telling everyone else until the sickness comes though ;)
  • After my first appointment, I told my supervisors on my shift only...just so they could be in the know if something happened. I also let them know so we could come up with a plan of action since we don't really have light duty and I would eventually start to bust out of my uniform....thankfully its midwinter because I will wear this jacket until I cant hide it anymore!!!!

Policies have changed and the last chick that was pregnant they made her stay on the street (no desk duty) and she had her baby 3 months early....her only other option was to use her vacation time before she had her baby, but that would've put her in a financial bind before her baby was here...and the time after her baby would've been unpaid and she still would've been in a bigger financial bind

• I told the week I found out. I'm a dental assistant and work in an office the uses N2O if requested by a patient. Studies are inconclusive on whether it can cause a Mc or not. Feel bad that my coworkers know before my parents though.
  • Wgoad01 said:
    Feel bad that my coworkers know before my parents though.

I know what you mean. Our first appointment is tomorrow and then we'll tell our parents, but my coworker called me out just before New Year. I wasn't drinking coffee, super tired, and already feeling sick. My boss had knee surgery this week and will then be on leave for 8 weeks, so I had to tell her in order to ask who I report PTO to. She's very excited and supportive. There are only 3 of us in the library, so it should be kept quiet until my SIL, who works in another dept, spills it. So probably Tuesday. Didn't tell the hubs that work knows. He's paranoid about his parents finding out before dinner tomorrow.
    BabyGaga
  • What to do when your job doesn't offer light duty ?I'm cna by the way
  • I told my boss at 10 weeks. I was planning to wait until through the first trimester, but it just sort of came up in conversation and it seemed like the right time to tell her. She was very supportive.

As for the rest of the office- I dont think I will tell them until I get to 12/13 weeks... so maybe next week!

• I need to tell my bosses ASAP because I work for a staffing firm, on a contract with a consultancy, on THEIR contact with another...so it's a giant mess and I technically have 3 different bosses at 3 companies. That said, I am going to wait until 12 weeks because I had a MC in October and I learned my lesson about telling early. We're keeping the news very close this time.
  • Both times, I told early. I get horrible MS, and I supervise the front end of a retail store. I needed them to know why I was constantly disappearing. They were very supportive :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I told my boss before even my family, I was only about five weeks. My morning sickness has been so bad that I couldn't hide it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Maybe I went about all this backwards, but I told my managers before I actually shared the news with my parents. I am only 11 weeks and 4 days but I was going to lots of doctors appointments in the very early stages, so I felt only right telling them why I was leaving early so much. They were and still are very supportive. The rest of my co-workers dont know, although I have a feeling they think I am only because I feel like I am getting much wider. lol I told my parents this past weekend at 11 weeks and they are very excited for us. I am sharing the news with everyone else on or around Valentines Day @ 13 weeks.
  • I told my boss at 3 months and my co-workers right after that. 
  • I told my boss at 10 weeks out of necessity, but I won't be unveiling the news to the rest of the staff until next week, when I'll be 13 and in second tri!
  • Told my boss and the person I work for as soon as I knew as they knew I was trying.  My boss actually asked how it went and actually spoke to me about his wifes issues with infertility.  Its nice that he is so open about it. About ten people know at my job.  not officially announced yet.

Secondary Infertility 38 years old (husband has no children)
    TTC since we got married 6/18/11
    Diagnosed with DOR - AMH 0.8

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

Changed RE's September 2014
    IUI #3 December
    2014 - BFP-My Lil Blessing!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I ended up telling her two weeks ago. I was throwing up at work so much the jig was up. Better tell her myself then my coworkers. It was not as a big a deal as I feared.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Saratiff said:

just curious... I'm torn as to when it's the right time right at three months? Or later I just don't have a clue.

Thanks again

I ended up telling my boss at 8 weeks because I was so sick and couldn't make it in to work two days in a row, and missed a big meeting. I hadn't missed a day of work in 5 years so I knew my boss would need a good reason for what happened. I also wanted him to know so he could cut me a little slack during these groggy weeks. He was very understanding
  • I am planning to tell my boss next week when I'll be 13W. I did tell a co-worker who is also pregnant at 10W. She is 2 months ahead of me and I covered for her when she was feeling sick, and I told her early so she could cover for me if I'm not feeling well. 
    Me: 38, DH: 41
    TTC#2 since Feb 2013
    10/13: 1st IUI, BFN
    02/14: 2nd IUI, BFN
    03/14: HSG done, found out right tube is slightly blocked
    04/14: 3rd IUI, BFN
    05/14: 4th IUI, BFN
    07/14: IVF no. 1, BFN
    11/14: IVF no. 2, BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I felt so sick, tired, and bitchey people knew something was wrong so I came clean at like 7 weeks. I'm an ICU nurse so I really need to let people know right away so I don't get exposure to patients with radiation and flu season is really bad this year in South Florida. If you have a job with hazards you really need to say something once you find out.
  • I'm planning on waiting until 12 weeks.  I'm a grad student, so my bosses are really my advisors.  Thankfully, I'm a research assistant so I don't have a teaching schedule to work around and can do most of my work from home.  Until this past year, there were very few people in our department with children, so I am a little nervous to tell people.  There's an attitude in academia that you can't have a child and a successful career at the same time.  I hope to prove them wrong!  
    CafeMom Tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"