Baby Showers

A new baby shower trend??? Wtf

ktin987ktin987 member
edited January 2015 in Baby Showers
On Sunday I went to a shower that I was already hesitant about attending. I got there right on time, 11 am. We were ushered to drop off our diapers for the raffle then get some food. Games started right away ... Guess what's in the diaper, bingo, how big is MTB belly, etc. Then it was time for presents. So, the MTB started handing out all of the presents to the guests (wasn't in any order and it wasn't the present you brought, just random) then on the count of 3 everyone was to open the presents at the same time ... Instead of the guest of honor, we were to open her presents. After we opened them, we all had to go around the room and say who the present was from and show off what it was! It was SO awkward. I hve no idea who's idea this was, but I have never heard of anything like it. It was now exactly noon and the announcement came "cake is ready in the kitchen, stay as long as you want". Fastest (1 hour exactly) and most awkward (second) baby shower I have been to.

Re: A new baby shower trend??? Wtf

• Yeah... That is weird.... Never heard of this before...
  • Oh man!  That's a new one! 
  • Loading the player...
  • If this is the world we live in, I no longer want to be a part of it.image
  • That is very awkward, I would have felt very uncomfortable!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow, I would have been insulted. I want the MTB to show some personal attention to the gift I pick out. Not have some random person do it for her.
  • Oh, Lord. I really REALLY hope that doesn't catch on. How obnoxious.

• I'm really not sure where she got the idea, or why in the world she thought it was ok. I wasn't paying close enough attention to hear any 'reasoning' for it so I'm not sure what she was thinking. People really do like to watch their own present opened by the MTB, it's part of the traditional shower. Not sure what this world is coming to!
    I have another shower in a month or so. Really hoping it is nothing that I can come back and tell you ladies about!
  • The only halfway understandable logic for this would be that maybe she thought this was a good way to keep guests from getting bored. Too bad boredom in this case was replaced by awkwardness and WTFery.

• Wrong. On so many levels..
  • thats awful
    Thanks for the gifts, but I'm just not that into you.
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• That is very odd....definitely not something I would do. The only reason I can think of someone doing this is to try to make it go by faster.......weird though

• Hmmmm okay. That's new. It's different.. Don't think it's a trend though.
  • I had heard of this at larger showers because the MTB did not want to spend the whole time opening gifts and wanted to socialize, but I can't imagine it would go over well in most situations.  The whole point is to watch the MTB open them.
  • Seriously? Where do people come up with this crap? Don't get me wrong, I get that sitting for a long time watching someone else open tons of gifts isn't going to make for the most fun, but it is part of a shower. If you can't even be bothered to open the gifts maybe don't have a shower (especially second). I hope the MTB at least sends out thank you cards.  :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Wow, tacky on SO many levels.....hard to process. I know I can't plan my own but I have a vision of a couples shower, that is relaxed and fun for my guests.....no games besides a few fun guess the time/date/weight type stuff! I want my family and friends to have a good time. No awkward times necessary!

I wonder if this lady will even bother with thank you cards?!?! Ugh.
  • I *think* the reasoning was to make it go by faster. Even though we still went around the room and were presented with each gift. It was totally awkward for everyone else being put on the spot it's YOUR shower, you should be the only one put on the spot.
    Anyway, I DID receive a quick think you note in a timely fashion!
  • ktin987 said:

I *think* the reasoning was to make it go by faster. Even though we still went around the room and were presented with each gift. It was totally awkward for everyone else being put on the spot it's YOUR shower, you should be the only one put on the spot.
    Anyway, I DID receive a quick think you note in a timely fashion!

Hey! At least you recieved a thank you note in a timely manner! :) I have been to so many showers/weddings and never got one. Crazy!
  • wtf??????! that's all i have.
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• WTF? No words
  • Were her hands broken?

But seriously, I've NEVER heard of this happening! What MTB doesn't want to open her own gifts??
  • I gotta say that's better than if she waited until everyone left to open them. She must not have wanted everyone to get bored. Although I don't like it and it is extremely awkward and tacktastic.

Originally thank you notes were meant for gifts opened when the giver wasn't around, but now-a-days they're expected after giving a gift. Technically it's not rude/tacky/poor etiquette to not send shower thank yous. That being said, you better believe I sent mine!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• edited June 2015
  • Wtf even is a diaper raffle? Do I want to know?
  • Wtf even is a diaper raffle? Do I want to know?

Everyone who brings a pack of diapers gets a raffle tickets and then they draw for a prize later.
  • Oh Hell Naw! I would much prefer it to be one of those "viewing" showers where you aren't supposed to wraps the gifts. Still lame, but less awkward
  • I think we are very quick to judge here. Personally i think some gift openings drag out far too long, this seems like a great alternative. The last 3 showers I've been to have the gifts unwrapped, on display for everyone to check out at thier leisure. I thought it was awesome. We all just ate drank played some games and visited.