July 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone doing Baby Led Weaning?

DS will be 6 months old soon. He has 3 teeth coming in. When we eat he is constantly reaching and grabbing for our food (probably pretty typical) and everything he gets his hands on goes straight into his mouth (also probably typical). Anyway, all of this makes me wonder about doing BLW instead of purées. Has anyone done it? What foods did you start with? Any good or bad experiences? My pediatrician supports it, but doesn't have much experience. It sounds pretty ideal for my lazy self.

This is a bit of a post and run since we have a cuckoo day but I'll check back in a bit.

TTC since October 2012

BFP#1 1/11/13, EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy 

BFP#2 11/12/13, DS born 7/28/14!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage

image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Chart

Everyone is welcome

Re: Anyone doing Baby Led Weaning?

• Options
    I am doing BLW. I started with strips of avocado and my pediatrician is fine with it. The best resource I've found so far is the baby led weaning cookbook. It gives you an overview and then ideas for food. I've been at it a week with dd and have been having lots of fun with it so far. Last night I gave her spaghetti, avocado, tomato and garlic bread.

There is also a Facebook page called Feeding Littles that I'm part of that is a support/learning page for it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We are doing this and love it! Here's my rundown of foods so far:

- orange slices & cucumber slices; about 1/2 inch think with peel on so he can grab it; he sucks out all the juice and loves it!
    - Apple slices; same as above except microwaved for 15-45 seconds (depending on variety)
    - roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes
    - bananas; these haven't worked well since they are so slippery
    - roasted broccoli; done so that the stalks are still pretty firm ... He LOVED this. It was hilarious

I also tried giving him a spoon full of baby oatmeal cereal last night... He was NOT interested... So I guess we're sticking with blw :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kam3100 said:

I am doing BLW. I started with strips of avocado and my pediatrician is fine with it. The best resource I've found so far is the baby led weaning cookbook. It gives you an overview and then ideas for food. I've been at it a week with dd and have been having lots of fun with it so far. Last night I gave her spaghetti, avocado, tomato and garlic bread.

There is also a Facebook page called Feeding Littles that I'm part of that is a support/learning page for it.

I'm searching for the fb group but there are lots of similar groups - is that the exact name of the group? I'd be interested in joining :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yep it's Feeding Littles. It might be an invite only group, if it is, PM me your e-mail and I will have one sent. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kam3100 said:

Yep it's Feeding Littles. It might be an invite only group, if it is, PM me your e-mail and I will have one sent. 

Ok I found it and my request to join already got approved! Great info - thanks for sharing :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We don. We started with banana, avocado, etc. now she pretty much gets whatever we are eating, within reason. She gets spaghetti, bread, steamed veggies, tender chicken, ground beef....she loves it.

• Options
    This is awesome. @kam3100‌ she is so stinking cute!! Thank you for the info. I just joined the group!

@ashleymarie1027‌ thank you for the ideas! For the oranges, does he just sort of suck on the juices. I wonder about the bigger pieces of the membrane, is he really ok if he gets a piece off?

Does everyone still follow giving one food at a time for a few days? When do you feel comfortable giving whatever you're eating if there are multiple ingredients?

TTC since October 2012

Chart

Everyone is welcome

• Options
    I've read that doing one food at a time is only necessary if anyone in the family has food allergies. I myself am only introducing a couple foods at a time because I think carrots caused a rash.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm doing a combination ....

We are sending homemade purees to DC.  By far my favorite cook is Start Fresh by Chef Tyler Florence.  Great pictures and the food is really good (both my husband and I ate them and liked the way it tasted).  

We do baby led weaning at Dinner where I can observe her and it more of a social thing because she eats with us.  We started with roasted sweet potatos, carrots, broccoli.   It is so cute watching her playing and learning about food. I want her to be curious and not be afraid of texture or flavors.   I also recommend the baby led weaning cookbook and I got a lot of recipes from pintrest (I like seeing a photo of what I'm cooking)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @SuperKim13‌ I have to admit, that when I see him get a piece of the membranes are usually taken away because I'm afraid that he's going to choke. Even though he hasn't yet, he has gagged a few times but he seems to recover just fine. He hasn't quite got the Chew-then-swallow thing down yet... It's more of just a chew-chew-chew then looked confused and gag then spit it out kind of thing, so I really don't know he if he could handle of the orange membrane stuff. But he loves the juices so much I keep giving them to him :-)

I don't do the "wait three or four days before introducing new foods "thing at all, we haven't had anything remotely close to an allergic reaction so I'm not really all that concerned. We have steered clear of honey, eggs, peanuts and strawberries though, so far.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    To those of you who are doing BLW, do your LO have teeth yet? Not like they chew with their fronts that much but just curious
  • Options
    No teeth yet
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    BP607 said:
    To those of you who are doing BLW, do your LO have teeth yet? Not like they chew with their fronts that much but just curious

DD has two bottom teeth, but we'd still be doing BLW if she didn't.

• Options
    DS has two bottom teeth and is cutting one on the top now.

TTC since October 2012

Chart

Everyone is welcome

• Options
    No teeth... Expecting one to cut through soon though
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No teeth yet