New Jersey Babies

anyone else taking federal leave (not fmla) and receiving no state benefits?

Hi all! I posted here a while ago and used all of your recommendations to look into short term disability and family leave insurance. Well I am 1 month pp and it seems I do not qualify for anything because I am a teacher and I am only taking federal leave (not fmla).  I have confirmed with both the state and my BOE that I do not qualify unless I extend my leave into FMLA which is silly since I will receive my full pay instead of 2/3 of my pay when I return without the benefits. Anyone else in the same boat? I am very disappointed in the state system especially since I am technically a public employee and I can not receive any benefits. I will be looking into private disability providers upon my return so I don't end up in this situation again.
Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

Re: anyone else taking federal leave (not fmla) and receiving no state benefits?

• I have a friend who also works for the state and had her baby in May 2014. When she went out on unpaid leave in order to keep up with her benefits she has to pay for them. Her HR department actually sent her a bill. Maybe you can just pay for your benefits out of pocket?

My husband is also a teacher and he too doesn't qualify for short term disability - something about double dipping (I honestly don't get it)

I'm not sure if it's the exact same situation but good luck!! And congrats on your little one!
  • Thanks for your reply @HLandJK413‌! I went to HR yesterday and they also told me they are sending a bill. Guess we will need to decide if we are having another LO and sign up for private STD then. Appreciate your insight.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"