March 2015 Moms
Options

It feels like a lifetime Movie...

Hi Mamas,

So with my first pregnancy I missed the GD 1 hour by like 2 points and then the 3 hour by like 3 points so I went through all of the GD stuff like diet and weekly meetings, blood checks and actually was put on insulin because I kept missing my morning # by 1-2 points. Anyway I gave birth one week early to a 5.7lb healthy little girl. So the whole "huge baby" fear was all in vain.

This time around they did my one hour early just to make sure. I missed it by 4 points but then took a while (work, family issues, illness) to get he 3 hour done. Two weeks ago I had the 3 hour done, by a nurse that I really dislike. She hurts like hell and is sooooooooo unorganized. She claimed she didn't have any paper work for me and kept putting sticky notes on my viles. 

Anyway they called that afternoon and said I was all clear, that I passed everything?? I was pretty convinced I would have GD again. I know its different every pregnancy but I was pretty certain. While it was good news, I don't believe it. THere was another woman getting the same test done about 5 minutes apart from me. I wish I could know if they told her she had it…. I feel like our blood was switched! I know that's crazy…

Anyway just wondering if any mamas out there ad GD with one pregnancy and then not with the other? Also does anyone know if insulin use results in a tiny baby? When I told my husband I was clear his response was "Oh jesus, you're going to have a huge baby!" Fabulous. Just wondering your thoughts! Hope everyone is feeling well as we come into the home stretch!

Re: It feels like a lifetime Movie...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had GD and was never on insulin just diet control last pregnancy and my son was born 3 weeks early at 5 lbs. I have GD this pregnancy too and on medication and no insulin and my baby girl measured 6 days he bind at my last ultrasound. Pretty sure insulin doesn't effect the size of the baby you have.

Some women can have GD with one pregnancy and not thevothers. My sister had 2 non GD pregnancies and then had it with her last.
  • Options
    stine28 said:

I wouldn't worry about your blood being switched, that would be a truly huge mistake on their part, and is so so unlikely.

The relevant details from your story are that last time you failed your 3-hour test by 3 points and this time you did not. Maybe you're near the borderline. You could ask your doctor that, and if you would benefit from following the GD eating plan loosely.

But no need to over-dramatize the situation. Even lifetime movies are more exciting than passing a GD test, ;)

Not as unlikely as you'd hope. I used to work at a lab that processed pap smears and we would get mixed up paps more often than you'd think. They would have names written on the vials and then a label with a different name over them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

igl08 said:

stine28 said:

I wouldn't worry about your blood being switched, that would be a truly huge mistake on their part, and is so so unlikely.

The relevant details from your story are that last time you failed your 3-hour test by 3 points and this time you did not. Maybe you're near the borderline. You could ask your doctor that, and if you would benefit from following the GD eating plan loosely.

But no need to over-dramatize the situation. Even lifetime movies are more exciting than passing a GD test, ;)

Not as unlikely as you'd hope. I used to work at a lab that processed pap smears and we would get mixed up paps more often than you'd think. They would have names written on the vials and then a label with a different name over them.
    Ditto.
    - - -
    Me(33) & DH(33) - Married 2012.08.18
    TTC #1 since Aug 2012
    BFP#1 2012.12.14 - EDD 2013.08.23 - MC 2012.12.26
    BFP#2 2014.03.12 - EDD 2014.11.16 - MC 2014.05.23
    BFP#3 2014.07.17 - EDD 2015.03.28 - Feeling Hopeful!
  • Options
    Totally just like a lifetime movie y'all.
  • Options
    Have you ever seen a lifetime movie? I really don't understand that analogy whatsoever.

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had a doctor tell me my blood test results came back fine..... Problem was they never even drew my blood. He actually argued with me about this. Then they gage me two movie passes and a "$25" gift card to Walmart which ended up being $10. I think it was hush money.
  • Options
    I had a doctor tell me my blood test results came back fine..... Problem was they never even drew my blood. He actually argued with me about this. Then they gage me two movie passes and a "$25" gift card to Walmart which ended up being $10. I think it was hush money.
    Seriously? My doctor doesn't give me anything but medical advice. I'm totally jealous. I want some free movie passes!
  • Options
    Whitfry said:

Seriously? My doctor doesn't give me anything but medical advice. I'm totally jealous. I want some free movie passes!

Eh they were to a theater in a shady part of town..... I think we still have them. I can send them your way if you want ;)
  • Options
    Man this is a lifetime movie I don't want to see.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe bring it up to your dr? Either way I'd play it safe and follow a GD diet and anything that they recommended in your previous pregnancy (minus insulin, obviously). 
    Due March 25, 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Insulin use (or having insulin dependent diabetes) can result in having a larger baby (not a smaller baby)--it is a growth hormone and one of the reasons babies of diabetics can be larger. If your blood sugar is high, baby has to produce more insulin to cover what your body didn't. Which could in turn make him bigger. If it did make babies smaller insulin dependent diabetics wouldn't have to worry about the complications of having a larger baby. If you are well controlled with insulin ideally it would not be a growth factor. But there is no way using insulin can "make you have a tiny baby"--it can only help you regulate your BG to hopefully keep baby at a normal size. A quick google search regarding diabetes and pregnancy could tell you this.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"