It's 3:30am and I can't sleep in the hospital so I figured I'd try to post this finally before we go home in the morning and our new crazy lives begin...
My miracle baby girls finally entered the world at 10:53 and 10:54 am on Friday 11/21/14 via csection after a failed 42 hour induction that went nowhere. We checked in to the hospital at 4pm on 11/19. My doctor wasn't here and the covering doc asked if I was "ok" with the risks of a breech extraction. I hesitated and said that I honestly wasn't given a choice by my doc and was basically told that's what we were doing. I think they were concerned with whether I was giving "informed consent" because a slew of docs came to talk to us and then my doc suddenly appears. I felt pressured by him to try induction when the other docs were saying a c/s was perfectly reasonable under the circumstances (B was transverse). I had just eaten so it would be at least 8 hrs anyway before a c/s could be done. I decided to proceed with induction but was reluctant.
They checked my cervix and it was totally closed. We finally got started with cervadil at 7:45pm. Since it was twins, I had to stay on the monitors in bed. I used the bathroom at 9:45 and commented to my nurse that she hadn't warned me that it would burn when I peed. She looked at me funny and said it shouldn't/wasn't a side effect of cervadil. We had dipped my urine earlier and there was no uti etc. I went back to bed. The pain continued to get worse and worse. I was in agony by 1am and in tears. DH called the nurse and they called a doctor. They thought maybe the cervadil wasn't placed high enough and was in my vag, causing the pain. They gave me Benadryl to see if it would help me sleep but the pain was too intense. Finally at 2:45am, the attending checked me and had to take the cervadil out. I had a freak reaction to it and my vag was all swollen/inflamed from it. They weren't sure why as it was apparently nothing they had seen before. They gave me morphine and put an ice pack on me, letting me rest for a few hours until a new plan could be started.
We started misoprostol at 6:20am. That was fine and was placed for 4 hrs. I dilated a whooping 1/2 cm after the miso but the monitors showed I was contracting every 2-3 mins so hospital policy doesn't allow a second dose unless contractions are over 4 mins apart. I could not feel the contractions at all. So we had to wait and do nothing. We did nothing all day.. I simply wasn't eligible for another dose bc of what the monitors showed. I felt fine. They finally talked me into trying a Foley catheter balloon to try to stretch the cervix mechanically and not pharmaceutically. It was placed at 3:30pm on 11/20 and would fall out on its own when I reached 3cm. I was also given a low dose of pitocin via iv. The night went on and the balloon didn't move. My parents came by to see me and we discussed my frustration etc. I was swollen and tired etc yet my doc was still pressing to keep trying induction and that it was "normal" to have a first baby induction take "days". I told him that I was not willing to go days with no progress and would reevaluate after each step that got us no where. The other docs were still saying c/s was reasonable while he wasn't. My pain got worse over night and I was given morphine again. What a godsend that drug is! I had the nicest nurses ever and I was crying in the middle of the night to mine that I was done if that balloon was still in in the morning.
Morning came and the balloon was still in so that meant I was still less than 3cm. I noticed my arm hurt and we discovered my vein collapsed and was full if the iv fluid as well as the pitocin. It was removed and put in my other arm. That vein then collapsed. A 3rd iv was put in but by now, we didn't know how much time had past since the first collapse. So the pitocin dosage would have to go back to 1 (we had been at 30). I was done at this point. The docs from Anesthesia kept showing up and asked if I had eaten breakfast and said not to since I hadn't. The attending docs were all discussing c/s bc of my "middle of the night" convo with my nurse--they knew I wanted it. Everyone knew my IF story as it spread around from nurse to nurse to all the attending docs and how long it took to get these babies. My Mfm was still saying it wasn't necessary. DH was believing my MFM. I had to get DH on board. I didn't want to pull the "I don't need your permission " card but didn't want to fight with DH. So I calmly told him my wishes. After everything we endured to get these babies, I needed them out safely. I could take the pain of the c/s recovery knowing they'd safely and quickly arrive via c/s versus continuing on with an induction that was now 42 hrs long and I was still under 3cm at most. I didn't want an emergency to arrive and the girls to go into distress or have one vaginally and then c/s for transverse baby. I was terrified of something happening to my babies at this stage in the game. They needed to come out now. He finally agreed. We told my Mfm we were calling it.
The OR was open so it all happened quickly. My doc wasn't available to deliver which was fine with me bc I finally admitted to myself and DH that I didn't like him. I loved the women docs attending and they were all wonderful and supportive of the c/s.
They brought me to recovery where I was reunited with my girls for skin to skin. It was amazing and such a dream!! I started to shake really badly from the spinal and the girls were a little cold so they took them to the nursery to warm up and let me recover. But they were perfectly healthy and no nicu needed etc. We made it to 38 wks +3 for delivery!!! What an amazing feat after everything !!!
I'm doing remarkably well with the c/s recovery. We had visitors within a few hours of my surgery and I've had no complications. My Mfm stopped by yesterday and I happened to be walking around my room, dressed in yoga pants, showered etc. He said "apparently a c/s was nothing for you"! I said I was doing just fine (even if I had been miserable I would have said I was great just to not give him any satisfaction!! ) The c/s was the absolute right call for me under the circumstances.
I can't express how amazing I feel. My girls are perfect, healthy and gorgeous. We are excited to go home tomorrow and start our new life!! I wish this for all my special IF friends still waiting. It's all worth it in the end. Every tear shed, injection, dollar spent etc. It's magic when it comes together...
I was checking the boards when I felt up to it during the induction and after as news spread that the girls were finally here. I felt all your love and am a better person for having shared these years with all of you, friends and long time lurkers alike!!!
Without further ado, here are the McIrish Miracles!!!
TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
DE IVF #3 1/14 ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d
DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!
K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days