Third-Party Reproduction

XP: Really Struggling

Ugh, DH and I are really struggling with making a decision about whether to use donor eggs or do embryo donation/adoption. We go back and forth every day and feel like we're getting more and more confused and less sure about anything. In order to try to help us out, I created a pro/con list for both options. If you ladies don't mind, I could really use objective opinions. Anything that I am missing? What would be the most important considerations for you?

Pros of using Donor Egg:

• DH gets to be biological father
  • Can do a “fresh” transfer without frozen embryos, which is typically more successful
  • Success rate is about 65% for each transfer
  • Embryos stay in same facility that they were created in- no risk of damage being shipped
  • If we had excess embryos, we’d be able to “give back” and donate them to another family struggling with infertility

Cons of using Donor Egg:

• Closed donor- don’t get to know much information or have a relationship (would the child be upset with this??); No access to half-siblings; Bigger risk of donor falsifying health information
  • If it doesn’t work, we have to pay all the money again for a new donor ($9000)
  • Very small threat of being cancelled if donor backs out, doesn’t respond to meds, etc (however this has only happened once in 13 years at my RE)
  • Don’t know how many eggs we'll get or quality of them until it’s all said and done
  • If DH gets sick before the cycle, this could affect his sperm and therefore quality of the embryos

Pros of using Donor Embryo:

• If life starts at conception then we’re giving already created embryos a chance at life-spiritually and ethically a bonus
  • Know exactly what you are getting- how many embryos, grades (i.e., how healthy they look), etc
  • Know more background information of donors before we choose them, including photos of the family
  • Can have a relationship with donor family so the child/children know exactly where they come from, know genetic siblings, medical history
  • If transfers doesn’t work, only $2000 to get rematched with new donors
  • Guaranteed transfer of an embryo for the money we pay (because if all the embryos arrest or don’t thaw, we get rematched for free)
  • We’re provided information/counseling on explaining to our children their history, parenting issues, etc for 18 years

Cons of using Donor Embryo:

• Have to pay for a homestudy (if we move states during the process, would have to do another homestudy)
  • Neither of us are biological parents
  • Lower success rate- about 40% for those embryos transferred
  • No fresh transfer- all embryos are frozen and are not the highest rated embryos from the cycle they were created
  • Question of quality if the embryos are coming from others with fertility issues
  • If the embryos were created using donor egg or sperm, would have the same issue of not having a lot of medical information

TTC since April 2012

BFP #1, 10/03/2012 - EDD 6/15/2013 - MMC 11/15/2012 - D&C 01/04/2013

BFP #2, 04/06/2013 - EDD 12/17/2013 - MC 04/19/2013

6/12/2013 Diagnosed with Balanced Translocation (12 & 16)

IVF #1 with PGS: 10/2013: Canceled 9/27/2013 for issues with genetic lab

IVF #1.5 with PGS: 11/16/2013: Canceled. 11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature & 9 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #2: 1/22/14: Canceled. 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 7 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #3 with PGS: 5/10/2014: Switched to FET in July. 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 healthy embryos!

FET #1: 7/31/2014: Transferred 2 nearly perfect (6AA, 6BA) healthy embryos- BFFN

Laproscopy: 10/2014: Healthy uterus

IVF #4: 12/8/2014: Canceled. 17 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 10 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Everyone welcome on my posts

Re: XP: Really Struggling

• I'm sorry you're struggling.  We chose Donor Eggs because it was me with DOR. We picked a proven donor (2x success before me), but I still have not had success.  I wish I had answers for you.  Good luck.

TTC #1 since May 2010

OE IVF #1  9/2/13 Cancelled- poor response

DE IVF #1 3/12/14- BFP 3/17/14- ectopic, right tube removed 4/11/14 @ 7 weeks

DE FET #1 7/3/14-Transferred 2 5AA 6 day embryos Beta 7/13/14 BFN

DE FET #2 9/5/14-Transferred 2 4BB 5 day embryos Beta 9/15/14 BFN

DE FET #3 in December- Cancelled, didn't respond to meds

DE FET #3 (2nd try) 2/13/15- Transferred 1 4BB and 1 4BA 5 day embryos Beta 2/23/15  BFN again (CP)

DE FET #4 - last 2 frosties....5/22/15- Transferred 1 4BA embryo...only one frostie thawed properly.  Beta scheduled for 6/1-  BFN (beta 2, 2.81, 6, 23, 49.4) 6/15/15 Discovered ectopic in left tube.  Methotrexate given. Moving on to a new donor. Hoping to transfer by the end of the year.

Cant find a donor that is healthy and available.  Looking at being happy with just the two of us.

• @refeek1 I'm so sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I hope that February is your time.

TTC since April 2012

IVF #1.5 with PGS: 11/16/2013: Canceled. 11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature & 9 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #2: 1/22/14: Canceled. 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 7 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #3 with PGS: 5/10/2014: Switched to FET in July. 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 healthy embryos!

FET #1: 7/31/2014: Transferred 2 nearly perfect (6AA, 6BA) healthy embryos- BFFN

IVF #4: 12/8/2014: Canceled. 17 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 10 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

• Loading the player...
  • We used donor eggs and it took 4 transfers before we got our twins. I did have a donor back out mid-stim with our second donor. We also got crappy embryos with th first and second donor (changed clinics after that). So DE is not s walk in the park and the 65% success rate you cited is pretty high-- national average is lower than that. Yes, the top clinics have better success rates so you need to consider that-- not sure where'd you be cycling.

Finding donor embryos can be hard. Long wait lists at some places. A girl on another board had a consult with FIRM and they basically have very few Caucasian embryos and the lots were small. Can be a while to find a profile you "click" with.

Good luck. It's hard to know what to do....

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• I'll add a couple thoughts. We used donor eggs and donor sperm.

- There is a national sibling registry where parents of donor conceived children can register. It's not necessarily a given, but you could possibly be able to meet diblings donor siblings).

- We got 4 embryos out of our fresh cycle. The first miscarried unrelated to the cycle in the second tri. The next two failed. Our lowest graded embryo is my take-home baby. So the lesser graded embryos aren't necessarily duds.

- It is hard not knowing all the medical info, but you have the big stuff. Also I just simply asked if we could anonymously write to our egg donor, and we've exchanged several letters via our clinic and she's answered any additional questions for us.

- One thing to think about is whether you're cool w DH being a bio parent while you aren't genetically the mom (you are the bio mom imho). For us, its kind of nice that our baby is no more mine than my wife's...kind of an equalizer.

For me, I liked getting to choose my donors. Still, with a proven donor we got 4 embryos and one baby.

It is indeed a lot to think about and doing the pros and cons list is super helpful. In the end, just trust your gut feeling on which path to take as both have good and bad in them.

Best of luck!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• It sounds like you are really thinking this through which is great. We did donor eggs, as DH wanted a genetic connection from his side. We have one success (not on the first try), but have been having trouble trying for a sibling. GL!

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• I have DOR. I chose Donor Eggs b/c my husband had great test results and it was important to my DH to have his genetics included. I didn't consider embryo adoption at all. 

She was a first time donor and we had success the first try and we have three beautiful embryos waiting if we decide to pursue another FET.

It wasn't easy and every family is different. My one regret/thought now is that I wish I had an open donor so my daughter would have the option to meet her if she ever wanted to do that as an adult, other than that I feel 100% happy with our choice.

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well I am kinda in the same struggle right now as well, but, we have done one cycle using frozen donor eggs, one fresh donor egg cycle and one FET of the 2 left from the fresh cycle. So there really is no easy answer or choice.

Also there are some clinics that do not require the home study aspect, so if that part holds you back you may want to look more into that as an option, but could also be a longer wait time.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :-)  

April 2013 DE IVF= BFN

September 2013 DE IVF (Fingers Crossed) = BFFFN! again...

October 2013 FET of our last 2 = Beta Hellzz for 6-7 Weeks. M/C

• I'm sorry you're struggling. These are really difficult decisions and I doubt there's one correct answer. We used DE because I have DOR and cycling with my OE just wasn't working. My husband has no known sperm issues, so the choice to use DE seemed easy. I was glad that my husband was able to have a genetic connection to our child. That was actually an important factor for us. Of course, had sperm issues also been at play, we wouldn't have hesitated to pursue Dembryo.
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • I struggled too! I have DOR and after 3 cycles with my eggs and one canceled cycle we decided to seek another opinion. We learned after having Karyotypes drawn that my DH carried a Chromosome abnormality called Balanced Translocation. We were told we had a good chance of success if we used donor egg and my husband’s sperm with PGD.

Following the recommendation, we started out with 15 embryos that cycle and only 1 was chromosomally normal that cycle, and it ended in a chemical pregnancy. After two attempts using my eggs and donor sperm I knew that it wasn't going to work, as one cycle was canceled and the other I ended up with nothing to transfer.

Shortly after of my failed DE cycle my clinic placed us on the list for donated embryos. After the failed cycle with my eggs and donor sperm my clinic had two embryos, which they offered us. I looked at the profile for the set of embryos and it didn't feel right. The male donor had no resemblance of my husband. I cried and cried. I felt so ungrateful, but the embryos did not feel like a good match. I declined the donated embryos, took a short break later inquired about a DE/DS cycle. DH and I are middle class, so financially DE/DS is not the best choice for us since we have to pay 100% oop.

For me, even though everyone we know, knows that we are using DE/DS, having the choice of our donors in the end was very important to me.

My point is, follow your heart!! Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    ::: Married June 2003:::
    TTC #1 since: Aug. 2008
    Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
    DH: 38, Balanced translocation 5&10, unexplained MFI, normal SA and SCSA
    Tx History: IUI 1&2= BFN
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 2: cancelled d/t no response
    IVF# 3= 1 egg retrieved=immature/not viable
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    Found DHs BT and Me-decreased blood flow to uterus
    Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
    ***New RE***
    DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 
    IVF# 6: (OE/DS) cancelled
    IVF# 7: (OE/DS) 1R, 1M, 1F, arrested day 5
    Plan-DE IVF# 2 (cycle #8): DE/DS in May 2015

http://icanhazbabyz.blogspot.com/
    imageimage image 
  • @mm29- I have BT, so I know the struggle you both are going through. It's a hard road

TTC since April 2012

• We went straight for DE for DS2 and didn't consider Dembryo.  We also used frozen eggs because it was less expensive, much faster to cycle, and I didn't have to time anything with someone else or rely on someone else.  We were guaranteed a certain number of eggs and at least 2 high quality embryos or the next cycle would be free (I believe the clinic has since changed this policy.) Having said that, we chose an out-of-state clinic with exceptional frozen egg success rates and were successful on our first try.  I'm happy that DS2 is genetically related to DH.  DH is adopted, so our boys are his only known genetic relatives. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"