Infertility
Options

Help... DH clomid use? (Update in comments)

OceanHuttOceanHutt member
edited January 2015 in Infertility
@murrt‌ and any other MFI ladies...question?

DH went on clomid per the urologist my RE recommended maybe just over two months ago... He had a blood test and since his testosterone and other tests didn't go up he went from 1 tablet 3x/week to 1tab/every day

He has evolved into a tearful, almost depressed man who doesn't have any motivation.... Or doesn't want to go out of the house.... Which goes completely against his normal behavior.

Did your DH have any depression/sadness/ side effects while on clomid??

(PS...I did my intro maybe 2 months ago and have been lurking since I have 40lbs to lose before we start IVF1 due to my BMI but I know you ladies are a wellspring of knowledge and hope that you won't mind a question without a large significant amount of interaction)

Thanks in advance I really appreciate any input you have!
Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

MFI, 50k sperm frozen, RE requires weight loss before our first cycle of IVF so now we wait.

(+20 = total loss)

Re: Help... DH clomid use? (Update in comments)

• Options
    I don't have any advice but I know certain meds have that effect on me so not surprising! Hopefully it will get better as he gets used to the new dose. If not, it might be worth asking about a mild antidepressant, like Wellbutrin. 

Also, wow congrats on the weight loss. Holy moly! I am so incredibly impressed and a tad jealous. Hopefully you will be joining us soon.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    Thank you @BootsOrHearts‌ :) he is going to call the Urologist tomorrow am but I just kinda wanted to know what we are dealing with... Today was really scary he has a cold but it's not your normal man cold status ya know?

And thank you... I've actually since my highest lost about 81 :) next goal is to hit 100 then get down to the weight the re wants to start talking.
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

MFI, 50k sperm frozen, RE requires weight loss before our first cycle of IVF so now we wait.

(+20 = total loss)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH was on 25mg of Clomid daily for six months. He didn't have any side effects from it. We did test his liver enzymes with the other bloodwork because Clomid can effect the liver. With DH bloodwork we saw a slight bump in his testosterone level after 3 months, in fact the urologist told us that it takes at least 3 months to see any changes in lab results. I would prob address the side effects with the urologist though, I think depression is def a side effect of Clomid. Best of luck!
    Me:33 DH:34
    TTC Since:May 2013
    SA:Count 10k Motility >50 Morphology?
    Dx:MFI
    IVF set for Nov 2014
    -(10/31)canceled due to azoospermia (0 count)
    DH in treatment-waiting for count to improve

• Options
    Thank you @Pcmay20‌ I really appreciate that especially the time line of the testosterone increase.. DH has always had these appointments when I can't be there so often things I don't ask get missed.
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

(+20 = total loss)

• Options
    MH sends his sympathies to YH.

MH has been on clomid for quite a while now. He thinks it sounds like YH estrogen may be too high (the estradiol to testosterone ratio makes a big difference). MH says to call the doc as soon as you can and see if the prescription needs to be changed or if YH needs an aromatase inhibitor like anastrozole (which is similar to letrozol/Femara, oddly enough).

MH says most men usually do respond to it with increased testosterone and sperm counts, but sometimes estrogen gets out of whack and can have some bad effects (like the ones you mentioned).

If clomid is a no-go for whatever reason, the next option is to take HCG to try to get testosterone and sperm counts to increase.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Options
    **************signature / child warning*************

DH was on HCG injections for a year as his endo doesn't like putting guys in Clomid for more than a few months due to the potential side effects (has low T so had been on T injections prior). Main side effect was that he was more affectionate - not that I complained. The shots were annoying but the endo let us try doing them subQ rather than IM. That worked well and were much easier to do 3x per week.

Urologist tend to prefer Clomid while most Endos prefer HCG.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    @tweetyknicks‌ tell YH thank you... And yea that's what I'm thinking... I think the cold he is fighting is also kicking his ass. The offices are closed (my re and his urologist) he is going to give another call tomorrow

We've had the kleinfelters diagnosis since like 2006/7... Our second year of dating... Being a woman I looked it up and freaked and professed the IVF likelihood back then and made the decision to continue our relationship and subsequent marriage knowing this was our road eventually...... He just has pushed it down and hasn't dealt with it... I'm trying to not...be as upset/frustrated around him lately... Because he feels bad that he is 'putting me through this' and isn't understanding that I made my choice 7 years ago...

I appreciate all of your kind words it's been a tough week you ladies are awesome :)
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

(+20 = total loss)

• Options
    @oceanhutt I made my choice with MH when we started dating in 2010. I knew he had a vasectomy and that reversal doesn't always work well enough. IVF wasn't a foregone conclusion, but it was certainly a possibility. Such is life.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Options

@oceanhutt I made my choice with MH when we started dating in 2010. I knew he had a vasectomy and that reversal doesn't always work well enough. IVF wasn't a foregone conclusion, but it was certainly a possibility. Such is life.

Absolutely... Was just using it to compare how DH and I have processed this differently... Even for me it's gone from 'yea we'll have to do IVF' to it being here... I wish I had taken better care of myself we wouldn't still be in this waiting pattern waiting for me to get my BMI in order :(
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

(+20 = total loss)

• Options
    Update... Urologist finally got back to DH... Nurse is calling him tomorrow to order HSG shots 3x per week.... I coached him to see if they would subQ them thank you @DreadGamerWife‌ :)
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

(+20 = total loss)

• Options
    **********************Child Warning***************************

DH's endo did comment that it was an experiment on his part but that he didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  It worked for us.  DH did have erratic sperm counts but more than enough for IVF (range between 50 k and 5 k).  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    Our last SA had 50k,time before that 0 (DH was super nervous and it was his first in the office) one before that was 2million... Morph and Motility have been good... Just not enough to work naturally/IUI in their eyes... Urologist feels like it should help and give him some energy without sending his other hormones out of wack.
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

(+20 = total loss)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"