March 2015 Moms
Options

Doula Sorry it's long

My sister in law (H's sister) has offered to be a doula for me, after the baby is born. Although I think the offer is a kind gesture, I am leery about taking her up on the offer.

My sister in law is a high school teacher and tends to be on the bossy, do it my way or no way track. She has bombarded me with when are you getting pregnant for several months prior to me having my doctors clearing my medical issues, she also constantly tells me about breastfeeding, and how she breastfed my niece until she was almost three. She truly believes every woman produces more milk then one child can drink, and being a medical professional I have explained ad nauseum that every woman is different and I can only give my child what I produce if anything at all. When I was still in my first trimester and not ready to tell the whole family about my pregnancy she was up both my H's ass and my ass to tell everyone, however since I am superstitious I felt waiting until the second trimester was the appropriate time to devulge that information. I have told her numerous times she needs to stop her bossy behavior and she tells me she likes to be bossy.

I am the youngest of three in my family so I am not stranger to being told what to do all the time. With that being said, I also have nine nieces and nephews, six of which I helped take care of from the time I was 12. I have changed diapers, fed, burped, bathed, dressed, etc many babies in my life time. I know it is very different when it is your own child but a dirty baby butt is a dirty baby butt. I took care of my grandmother when she was crippled with Alzheimer's disease, could no longer clean herself, feed herself or remember where the bathroom was when she was standing next to the toilet

Personally I think I will need a little while to adjust but at the same time, I think I have a good grasp on how to take care of an infant even though this will be the first of my own. So my questions is, do I really need a doula? If I need some help, isn't that what my husband is for?

Sorry it was so lengthy but I needed to give you some background.

Re: Doula Sorry it's long

• Options
    I agree with @Chunkymonkeylvr‌ - if the situation is stressful before you even get into it - I would pass. Sorry you are dealing with it!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tell her thank you but you'd really like to take the time and bond with your baby. That is a crazy time- after having a baby that is- and very important for you and your H to not only bond with baby but bond as parents. It's a new roll for both of you no matter how many kids you have. Personally, I'm having #5 and every baby changes the family dynamic. So maybe let her know you'd accept help in the form of a meal or 2 perhaps, but that you and your H can handle it from there.
  • Options
    It sounds like you have already made up your mind. She sounds like she would stress you out more than anything. I would take a pass on her offer as a doula, but tell her you would appreciate her help when you need it (emphasis on the when you need it).
  • Options
    What everyone else's said! Tell her no thanks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Jump that ship like it's on fire, lady. She sounds like a shitty Doula. Thier purpose is to make your life less stressful, not to be a sanctimonious pain in your ass.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    A girlfriend, who also offered to be my doula before knowing I was pregnant and especially since I told her I was actually pregnant, of mine sounds exactly like your SIL. I kindly rejected the offer. In my mind, a doula is supposed to be a calming person who helps you on your journey to motherhood.
    TTC #1: Jun 2014. BFP #1: Jul 18, 2014. DD born Mar 2015.
    TTC #2: Aug 2015. BFP: #2: Nov 9, 2015. EDD: Jul, 21 2015.
    Vow Renewal: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. Thank her for the offer but say no! That sounds like more stress after baby and you don't need that.
  • Options
    Another vote here to turn down her offer.
  • Options
    Keep it simple: if it works for you, keep it. If it doesn't work, ditch it. It's okay to be thinking about what works for you and your babe right now - that's normal and will hopefully help you be less stressed.

Sept. Challenge

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2dwhtaq.jpg[/IMG]

image

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I think part of the benefit of a doula is it's like a friendly, encouraging stranger who makes you feel all powerful and at ease and stuff. She sounds way too involved and bossy to take that role. Say no thanks!
  • Options
    Yeah I would say thanks, but no thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"