September 2014 Moms

Car seat without base?

Our car seat has slots on each side that look like they're meant for a strap to go through. Last night we were out with a friend and she offered to drive us somewhere and I declined because we had LO in his travel system and the base for the car seat was in our car. She said it was ok because the car seats are made to be strapped into the car without the base by putting the lap belt through those slots. I can't remember seeing anything in my owners manual about and it just felt wrong so I still said absolutely not and walked all the way back to my car. I wouldn't have felt right about strapping him in without the base but of course I've been wondering about it ever since. I'm on holiday so I'm not able to check my manual any time soon. Has anyone done the research and know if this is actually an ok way to use the car seat? Did I overreact?

Re: Car seat without base?

• I have the Chico keyfit and you don't need the base. You can probably find the user manual online if you google it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Like trebek said. There are slots on the car seat for that purpose. What do you think people do if they purchased the seat only without the base?
  • I was nervous at first too because I was just unfamiliar with the idea but once a friend showed me how I have no problem using the straps and letting him ride with someone else.

TTC since 2.11
    BFP #1: 3.15.11- c/p
    MTHFR Dx 6.13-Rx- folate and B12
    BFP #2: 11.9.13 -m/c Trisomy 4
    BFP #3 1.18.14 EDD 9.27.2014

• From what I heard is that in Europe they don't even use bases but the slots for the seatbelt

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Yes you overreacted. The base is for convenience only. Every car seat is also made to be used solo with a seat belt.

This.... Also my daycare and I were just shaking our heads at a mom freaking out about not having the base and wanting to drive 90 min round trip to retrieve it from her husband at his work. What an awesome job manufacturers have done convincing people they can't do without accessories. Bravo chicco etc.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• For some reason I was thinking I needed the base too and that the seatbelt was only to be used if you couldn't or didn't want to use the latch system. Crud, I just bought an extra one for my husband's car recently I could have saved myself some money. Oh well, now I know we don't have to switch it out from his and grandma's car.
  • Yes, marketing job well done. I had absolutely no idea the car seat could be used safely without it. Mine came with a base so I just assumed it was required, no questions asked.
  • We dont use a base in my husband's car. We just strap it in, we barely use his car and he had yet to leave the house alone with her anyways. We are going to do a convertible carseat in both cars because those are a pain in the ass to move back and forth.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • the base is purely an item of convenience - no messing around with seatbelts and straps anytime you need to get in and out of the car.

not only should it tell you in your manual how to install the seat without the base, you can also find youtube videos that are helpful.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wow....I had no idea...we also bought an extra base for my husband's car which she has been in once so far. I feel like an idiot!

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • anewadventureanewadventure member
    edited January 2015
    @Jen9608 ... off topic here, but your ticker is killing me. a toaster? hahaha. also, you are very pregnant

ETA: what the hell is up with these new emoticons, TB? they don't even work. a subtle war on emoticons is occurring here.

• @Jen9608 ... off topic here, but your ticker is killing me. a toaster? hahaha. also, you are very pregnant

ETA: what the hell is up with these new emoticons, TB? they don't even work. a subtle war on emoticons is occurring here.

Hahahahaha I know. I'm on mobile 99% of the time. I got on the computer yesterday for a minute and saw my ticker. I spent about 39 seconds trying to remember how to change it and then decided it wasn't worth the headache at the time. I'll try again in a few days. Maybe.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I bought an extra base for convenience.   I love snapping him in -- it takes 3 seconds to get him in the car and I'm contorting myself trying to buckle him in.  :)  However, when he goes to the sitter in a couple of weeks, my base stays in my car.
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

• amom2fouramom2four member
    edited January 2015
    There should be instructions and/or a diagram on one of the stickers on the side of the seat.

When you use only a seat belt, only thread the part of the belt that goes across your lap through the hooks on the car seat. The part that goes across your shoulders should be pulled all the way out and then let it retract all the way back in and leave it flat against the back of the seat. It is just as safe to use only the seat belt as it is to use the base as long as it is installed correctly. Read both car seat and car manuals for instructions.

Also as you start buying convertible car seats, read both your car manual and the car seat manual. There may be restrictions on where you can place the seat and you need to make sure that there are tethers for forward facing seats. I cannot put car seats in the third row of my Durango because I don't have tethers for forward facing seats. Always read manuals. Better safe than sorry.
  • Here's what I'll add about seatbelts and would also love feedback if I'm missing something - I didn't take our base over the holidays and my parent's Honda Pilot worked fine with a seatbelt - the seatbelt appropriately contracted and tightened without loosening a bit with pressure and I was so surprised at how easy it was. However I tried in a 2000ish Volvo and a) the seatbelt literally was barely long enough to wrap around the car seat while keeping the seat in the proper position and b) the seatbelt didn't retract and stay like it's supposed to based on the manual and video. In our 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee we could only get the middle belt to retract correctly. So I guess my point/question is I selected our car seat a lot based on ease of use for seat belt but have been a bit stressed because it seems to depend on the car unless I'm over thinking the belt retraction (belt not being long enough is definitely an issue since it tilted him almost to vertical position).

Ps: pissed because as my child was clearly not properly secure in the Volvo my mom says "oh well" and is set to go. Um, no. My child is either secured or we change cars.
  • Also car seat safety side note: does anyone follow Baby Sideburns on Facebook? Lot of action today in Social Media world regarding jackets and car seat safety!
  • @WanderingStars23‌ - I actually need to thank my little sis cause she tried our Jeep seat first for her LO and was like, no this isn't right. I was like "oh sure it is, see? If impact is added it stops." But she insisted it wasn't correct and moved it to the middle seat which behaved properly which was my ah-hah moment.
  • Not all cars have seats that will retract and stay tighten the way it's needed for a car seat. For those cars, you need a special clip that will hold the seat belt in the correct position. Out car seat (graco click connect 35) came with one. You can also find them fairly cheap at most baby store, some hardware stores, and online
  • amom2fouramom2four member
    edited January 2015
    If the seat belt doesn't pull out and retract to lock there is a chance that it has a locking latch plate.

Here is an article from Car Seats for the Littles blog. You should all check it out, it's full of important info on car seat safety. They also have a Facebook page. Search 'car seats for the littles'.

https://csftl.org/lock-it-up-how-to-lock-a-seat-belt-for-car-seat-installation/

Eta @dawn792‌ You are talking about a locking clip. All car seats have them or should. They are usually on the bottom and will help secure a car seat instal. Make sure you place the locking clip in the correct position for the car seat.
  • @amom2four‌ thanks for pointing out its a locking clip. I could not for the life of me remember the actual term lol.

Even better than articles online, everyone should read the owners manual that came with their car seats and cars. It amazes me how many people throw those little books away or stash them in a drawer somewhere without actually opening them. It would only take a few minutes and could save your baby's life.
  • I also recommend meeting with a car seat tech if you have any doubts or concerns. I met with a tech for an optional small donation and she checked my seats and base and went through my manuals with me and showed me how to uninstall and install my seats.
    Gave me so much more peace of mind!

• In my car, the carseat actually feels more secure without the base, so we keep it in FI's car instead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• We don't have a base for my husband's car, and he does the morning drop-off. His car (Honda Prelude) is so small that he had to remove the passenger's seat just to get the infant seat into the back. If we installed a base, he wouldn't be able to carry a passenger even without baby.
    ...Yes, it's a PITA. We're in the market for a 4-door. But it can be done.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• We don't have a base for my husband's car, and he does the morning drop-off. His car (Honda Prelude) is so small that he had to remove the passenger's seat just to get the infant seat into the back. If we installed a base, he wouldn't be able to carry a passenger even without baby.
    ...Yes, it's a PITA. We're in the market for a 4-door. But it can be done.
    if only cars were like...free, or something. ;)  both of our vehicles desperately need to be replaced, but it's not in the cards right now. ah well.

• @anewadventure Forreals. I had to take his car to work a few days in the snow and ice last week and DH told me, "If you get in an accident, make sure you survive and the car doesn't."
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @anewadventure Forreals. I had to take his car to work a few days in the snow and ice last week and DH told me, "If you get in an accident, make sure you survive and the car doesn't."

This is my theory with my Durango. I love it but it's just not big enough. @-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"