One & Done: Only child
Options

Photo shoot anxiety

Hi all!

So DD's 3rd birthday is Friday (crazy!).  We don't often do professional pics-- so far we have had them done at places like JCP and Picture People-- the last photo shoot we had were her 2nd bday shots, which came out cute.

Anyway, I decided that the one thing I am going to splurge on this year for her birthday is a super nice custom photo shoot done by a local momtographer (she's a FB friend and a very casual acquaintance.)  She asked me if I wanted to get in some of the shots w/ Josie and I told her I wasn't sure.

Aside from a few goofy selfies, I literally (literally) have maybe 2 pictures of Josie and I.  One from her christening (when she was 6 months old and I was still almost 200 lbs).  I am not even looking at the camera in that one.  I have another pic of her and I from September dressed up but I have sunglasses on in the pic and I don't like the way the rest of my face looks because my mouth is hanging open.

So, I should do this, right?  I mean, what kind of mother doesn't take pics with her kid because she's too vain?  Lemme have it.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

Re: Photo shoot anxiety

• Options

Do it!  I agree with @bostonkisses. It's fun to look back at the pictures as they grow and your daughter will like it to.

This advice is coming from someone who has maybe 5 pictures with her own child.  I need to practice what I preach...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do it. My mom died almost five years ago. Because she was always the one taking the pictures, she was never in them. When we tried to do the phone collage for her service, I found that the last nice picture of the two of us was at my first communion in 1984. I don't even have a nice picture of us on our wedding day. I wish I had pictures of us. I'm sorry to be morbid. You won't regret capturing memories.

No that's OK-- that was actually sort of what I was thinking of as well.  Go team morbid, and sorry about your mom.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    janineb said:
    Definitely. You won't regret it. If you have insecurities about particular aspects of your body, talk it out with the photog. There is a ton she can do with shot angles to minimize what you don't feel comfortable about. You won't regret it and many years from now, DD will appreciate you took the time to get in the picture. There is a really great mom blog post about a larger mom whose kids were telling her how beautiful she looked in a beach photo. It is a very important sentiment. We see our flaws first, but our kids see our love, compassion and their heros. When I am off mobile I will try to link it.

I think I remember reading that article somewhere too-- it made me realize that I have no pics of DD and I.

Good idea about talking with the photog about specific angles.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Another vote for DO IT!

Are you ordering individual prints, or buying the copyright to the photos? If you're purchasing copyright, you can always just print the ones without you in it (if you end up hating them), but your daughter would still have CD/drive/images of the photos of you together that she could look at.

I really dislike getting my photo taken because I think it's annoying, but I've made a conscious effort to relax about it since having Emma and haven't regretted it at all.

The package includes both the rights and a few prints (of my favorite poses).  Right, unless by some miracle I actually like a pic of myself, I will most likely only order prints of J.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Definitely do it. I don't always like photos of myself (usually I don't, I guess), but I love most of the photos I have of DS and I. I love them because they are all candid, and I am focused on him, not trying to pose for the camera. So what shines through is my love for him, not really how I look physically. I definitely want to capture those moments. :)
  • Options
    Do it! We have so few photos of DS and his Dad and I would do anything to have taken more. It's because of this that I don't shy away from having my picture taken. I'm sure the photos will look lovely!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Do it!!!! 

Do you have a Sephora near you? If they have a beauty bar in the store the girls will do your makeup for free. Not that you need it, but it's fun to feel pampered. I was at an awards show not long ago and had my makeup done before at the nearest Sephora. I bought a lipstick, tried to tip (wouldn't let me) and left her a great review on their feedback site.
  • Options
    EMarieMe said:
    Do it!!!! 

Do you have a Sephora near you? If they have a beauty bar in the store the girls will do your makeup for free. Not that you need it, but it's fun to feel pampered. I was at an awards show not long ago and had my makeup done before at the nearest Sephora. I bought a lipstick, tried to tip (wouldn't let me) and left her a great review on their feedback site.

This is a fantastic idea!

Thanks ladies-- I needed the boost.  I will def take at least one pic with her.  I know it's something I would regret not doing!  Maybe when they come back I will AW over here

:D

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Chapter79 said:
    Dude!

I know what you look like and you're gorgeous. Take those pictures. I was this way when DD was younger and then I looked back on pictures and got kinda ticked at myself because I was in none. Now she's at an age where she asks me to be "lets take a selfie, mom!" and I do it every time because I know she LOVES it and she looks back on them. 

You (and she) will love to have these as she ages :)  Even now I love to look back at photo albums and see pictures of my mom and I.  In fact, I think my current FB picture is of the two of us.  I realized last year I have barely any adult pics with my mom so now I try and take more of us. Treasures.
    Thanks @chapter79!  I'm going to do it.  I just always hate hate hate being in front of the lens.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Um, you are freaking hot. Do it!
    Ha!  Thanks for the compliment (your check is in the mail.)

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Do it. Do it. Do it.

I have a zillion pictures of my DD from over the years (as a momtographer myself, I was always behind the camera) and I had to BEG my XH to take some of me and her. Literally BEG. She's so big now and I treasure all of the pictures I have of her and I together, even if I was having an "off" day or was still in my PJs and half asleep...they just mean so much to me.

I was gonna post the Mom Stays In The Picture article too but I see you guys beat me to it :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"