2nd Trimester
Options

Need Sleep Help

edited January 2015 in 2nd Trimester
I never post on these but I'm in a desperate place right now (read: not getting sleep). I was a stomach sleeper my entire life and recently started to get enough of a bump that this is uncomfortable. I've tried sleeping on my side, as per every pregnancy guide, but my hip bone juts out enough that every few hours I wake up with a bruised or numb hip and have to switch sides. Doesn't make for a great night's sleep. Anyone else deal with this? Any suggestions?

Re: Need Sleep Help

• Options
    Plenty of pillows, invest in a snoogle, a pillow between your legs help with the hip pain. I build a little fort around me each night. It doesn't get any easier the bigger you get.
  • Options
    What @taahira‌ said.
    They also make wedge like pillows to put under your bump for support. I actually just stuffed a pillow under there and it made a world of difference in comfort and also waking up with reduced back pain.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sounds like you could use a thicker mattress if your hipbone is sticking into something hard that bruises it. Maybe try that? Also, what PPs said about the pillows.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! We have a really thick mattress now, but I'll see what pillows can accomplish!
  • Options
    I've always been an avid belly sleeper and pretty much continue to be one even though I'm 31 weeks haha The main thing that has helped significantly was placing a pillow between my knees but having enough of the pillow up against my hip/belly that I can rely on sleeping sort of half on-half off of it. That way I'm still getting the support and comfort of sleeping on my belly without it being too much strain. I definitely second the suggestions for getting a wedge, and there's always the choice of getting a body pillow though for me those tend to be kind of too big or too much of a hassle. 
  • Options

or if you have the moolah you could always invest in one of these:

https://www.wellspringtrading.com/earthlite-pregnancy-bolster.aspx

I was in one for a massage during my first pregnancy...it was actually quite comfortable.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    my doctor said half a tab of unisom and I drink that earth mama angel baby 'peaceful mama tea'.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    The snoogle will be your new best friend. I love it.
  • Options

I am on the same boat...I am 23 wks and it's getting worse! I bought a body pillow which is wonderful but I can't seem to sleep...I wish I had the $$$ to buy a new mattress BUT I was told to try those pillow top cushions for your bed they can get expensive so I have been postponing it...Also talk to your doctor about it I was experiencing terrible aches on my hips and butt and I started physical therapy and I found out my pelvic bone was misaligned and after she stretched me and aligned my hips I felt better...looking forward to my next session! Good luck to you just remember NO PAIN NO GAIN that little baby will make it all insignificant.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Memory foam mattress topper really helped me, I got a 4" topper from overstock for less than $100.
  • Options
    I have a bed that was very pricey with a pricey topper and it still goes numb. :( I have a "comfort U" body pillow that really helped. Out of all the pregnancy pillows it was the best for me. Maybe try the comfort U thing before having to upgrade everything.
  • Options
    long U shaped pregnancy pillow is saving my hips!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"