January 2014 Moms
Options

Dentist advises to use fluoride

DD went to the dentist for the 1st time about a month ago.  She has 13 1/2 teeth!  Thankfully none of her teeth are touching so I don't need to start flossing yet.  I don't think that would even be possible!  It is hard enough to brush her teeth, I can't imagine flossing.  Ouch!  I was surprised that the dentist recommended using a toothpaste with fluoride.  Apparently, that is the new recommendation.  https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/dental-group-advises-fluoride-toothpaste-before-age-2/?_r=0 Has anyone else heard about this?  I am still nervous about switching toothpastes to one with fluoride. 

Re: Dentist advises to use fluoride

• Options
    I do water only still for DD and she has 7 teeth (with more on their way in currently).  I read the article you linked and I am still comfortable with only water because it seems the change in recommendation is being made specifically for "high risk" patients where there is increased risk of cavities early on. Things that make babies high risk are sleeping with a bottle, drinking juice or other sugary drinks, and eating sugary foods. DD does not do of this and gets only water or milk. 

DS is 3 years old and I just switched him to fluoride toothpaste and I still only give him a very little bit (more of the smear than the pea sized) because he still doesn't know how to spit it out.  To me, as long as you are aware of the things you need to pay attention to regarding  good oral hygiene (foods/drinks they are eating, when they are eating) and you are brushing their teeth regularly, I would personally hold off on fluoride toothpaste. 

• Options
    I am glad I am not the only one hesitant on this!  I bought Babyganics fluoride free toothpaste and I think I will use that until it is all gone, which will take a long time. 

My water doesn't have much fluoride in it.  However, I don't think DD is high risk since I don't give her juice and her teeth aren't touching.  We brush 3 times a day (before her 2 naps and before bed). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have heard of dentists recommending fluoride toothpaste little ones. We give DD fluoride drops since we use store bought water due to untested well water supplying the house. 
  • Options
    We don't have flouride in our drinking water. Our doctor said she had read the latest recommendations were to use a flouride toothpaste. She said that if you use the proper amount it won't matter if the baby swallows it. I haven't taken DD to a dentist yet (4 teeth - I know I need to get on it!) but I plan to discuss it with him or her when I do. For now we're using flouride free because that's what I already had and didn't want to waste it, but once I'm done this tube I'll probably look into a flouride toothpaste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"