Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Is it too early to discipline a 13th month old? How would i go about doing that?

I have a 13th month old boy and my husband and I are learning how to discipline him. He just started walking about a month ago so he is into everything! I realize that we are constantly telling him "no". When he starts doing something that he shouldn't we start telling him no but when he continues we tap him on the hand and if he still continues he gets time out in his bed. Are we going about it the wrong way?

Answers

• Options
    At this point I think discipline is more just trying to teach the kid what not to do.  My son is about the same age, and into EVERYTHING.  When he is doing something dangerous (ie, standing on top of his toys, trying to play with the cords behind the TV, etc.) I tell him "no" sternly.  I tell him what to do instead (ie, sit down), and if he doesn't do it, I physically do it for him (go over pick him up and sit him down, or move him away from the TV).

I don't think punishment works at this age.  I just redirect.  However, if he cries upon redirect, I don't immediately pick him up to comfort him as I would for other instances of crying.

Make sense?    
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the advice. I do NOW realize that putting him in his crib to discipline isn't a good idea. I know that he really doesn't know what "no" means and i know he's exploring a lot of things. I knew i needed to get some help on redirected him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I totally get what you're saying about a specific cupboard in the kitchen. Seems like that's his favorite room in the house. Lol
  • Options
    I think 13 mos is too young for a timeout and exploring doesn't need discipline. Follow him around closely and get an idea of where he's getting in trouble and fix that. If he's getting into cabinets that he isn't allowed in lock them. If he's touching outlets cover them. I always have a couple cabinets my kids are okay playing in and then lock the others.

Try to make your house safe, close off what isn't and redirect as needed.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs.  Redirect him to positive activites and baby proof your house so he can't get himself into too much danger/trouble.  
    After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"