Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Can the announcement that a sibling is coming cause potty training regression??

DD has been potty trained since August. She was 2y 4m at the time, so fairly young to be potty trained. Ever since then she has had an accident maybe every few weeks.

Two weeks ago we told her that she is going to be a big sister, and she reacted as any 2yo would who has no idea what's coming. However, ever since then her behavior has been terrible and most notably over the last few days she has had a major potty training regression.

More likely it's caused by being out of routine with the holidays, but I'm really wondering if it was the news of a new baby and she's aware that a big change is coming. I had expected a regression once the baby actually arrives, but not yet??

Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips on dealing with potty training regression in general? TIA!!

Re: Can the announcement that a sibling is coming cause potty training regression??

• Options
    ECT2012 said:
    DD has been potty trained since August. She was 2y 4m at the time, so fairly young to be potty trained. Ever since then she has had an accident maybe every few weeks.
    She's been having regular accidents since August?

She's not potty trained.  It has nothing to do with the fact you announced a new baby.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It hasn't nothing to do with the announcement.  I have 4 kids ages 6 and under so they are all use to hearing the pregnancy announcement and at this age they don't understand the big change.  They're just excited about a baby coming.  Also, I've PT kids while pregnant and another while on maternity leave and nobody ever regressed once a baby came.  Because your DD has been having accidents every few weeks since August, I'd say she's still learning and you just need to keep working on it.  Some take a short time, some take a long time, all kids are different (my kids were all PT prior to being 2 years old and only took a few days so I don't think young kids take longer). 2 1/2 can be a tough age, they want to be big but they are still little and sometimes they use the potty as something they can control.  Continue to praise her for doing well on the potty, ignore the accidents.  Limit your power struggles by giving her extra responsibilities- let her choose her cloths (regardless if they don't match or she's wearing the same shirt 3 times a week), set the table, load the dishwasher, etc. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Regressions are normal and not always related to something. DD potty trained not quite 2 years ago and had 3 real regressions and only had one seemed to be related to something. I cannot believe a 2 to would regress due to a sibling announcement because I doubt they understand what that means.

I would just sort of go back to basics. Ask occasionally or if she showing signs. Praise for using the potty. Reminding we keep underwear dry.
  • Options
    I think that at 2 years old, children respond to change. The holidays just passed, and I'd say if her schedule was interrupted, that would have more to do with the regression than the mention of a new baby which she likely doesn't understand.

If you say her behavior is terrible, it may not actually be a regression at all. She may be doing it to get her own way in some form (control). My DD has been doing this because over the holidays, she got to stay up later while we were with family, and now that it's back to business as usual, she doesn't want to go to bed at night. Initially, she was doing anything she could to prolong bedtime (asking for toys, taking forever to put on her pj's, asking for a drink, snack, whatever). When we didn't respond to that, she resorted to pretending to sleep while we were in the room, then getting out of bed and peeing herself on purpose by the window immediately after we'd leave the room because she knew that we'd have to go back in and change her. Once we figured her out, we corrected the behavior by telling her that if she stops peeing at the window and goes to sleep, she can have a Smartie in the morning. (We potty trained her initially with Smarties as a reward, and for her, that's enough motivation). She hasn't done it in a week and getting her to sleep at night is getting back to normal.

• Options
    Sometimes their behavior is because they sense a change in mom or dad. Could the stress of the pregnancy be noticeable to her? Slight regressions or accidents are normal. Give her time and encouragement, she will improve. Hope your pregnancy and delivery are seamless. Hugs! -Cookin'Quiltin
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"