September 2014 Moms
Options

What has worked for you?

Tch4lfeTch4lfe member
edited January 2015 in September 2014 Moms
we switched my dd over to the Merlins Magic Suit about a month ago, and at first it worked but now I feel like it's losing its "magic". I'm curious to see what seems to be the best transition from a swaddle.

What has worked for you? 91 votes

Merlins Magic Suit
12% 11 votes
Zipadee-zip
3% 3 votes
Halo
14% 13 votes
Miracle blanket
3% 3 votes
Still swaddling
31% 29 votes
Nothing works
14% 13 votes
SS
20% 19 votes

Re: What has worked for you?

• Options
    I just stopped swaddling.  She's started the 4 month regression early, so I figure if she's already waking up all the time with the swaddle, keeping her unswaddled shouldn't make that much of a difference.  So far she's sleeping the same amount as with the swaddle. 
  • Options
    We quit swaddling as soon as he started rolling to his side for safety reasons. Also had laid off since the colic subsided anyway. LO is most comfortable in a sleep sack but if he needs the tightness of a swaddle we put on his swaddleme with arm holes.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same thing as @LaurenWarwick‌. She was waking every hour in the swaddle and sometimes busting out of it. We switched to the zipadee and I've noticed an improvement but she's still up a few times. We'll see how it is once the regression ends.

• Options
    That is the problem I'm having. I don't know if it's the sleep regression messing up her sleeping or the magic suit! I would hate to spend more money on something else that doesn't work!
  • Options
    I tried the magic suit a couple of weeks ago but DS wasn't ready for it. He got his hands out of the swaddle last night and I didn't bother to fix it and we wound up getting our average crappy night's sleep, maybe slightly worse than usual but not horrible. So as of this morning he's back in the suit. Nap #1 was great but short (he hasn't had a long nap in a week anyway), nap #2 was a disaster and I had to nurse him down to get him to take a 3rd nap, but that's not unlike the usual. So all told, looks like the magic suit isn't really magic for us but not horrible.
  • Options
    I straight up bought 2 Merlin Sleep Suits and 2 Zipadee Zips this week alone.  He sleeps in a halo sleep sack with swaddled arms and usually sleeps well from 9-1ish however after that he seems to hate being swaddled and seems to hate being in his RNP BUT...
    He also cant handle being unswaddled and in his crib

Im hoping one of those will help him transition out of swaddling and into his crib in the next few weeks
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    We just had our 4mo appt and the dr said just stop swaddling. If he cry's then turn him on his side and pat his back or thigh until he falls asleep. I thought to my self yeah right that's not gonna work but lo and behold it works. It's only been 3 days but the last 2 nights he went unswaddled and slept the same as before. It only took 5 or 10 mins of parting before he fell asleep too!
  • Options
    I clicked SS because like some of the other posters we went cold turkey at around 8 weeks. She flipped herself over once and that was the last time we swaddled. She actually slept better without it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I still sometimes swaddle with the a&a blankets although they are starting to be a little small for him. If he's fussy, he gets tied up but will wiggle his arms out shortly after he falls asleep so it only helps short term in getting him to sleep. If I don't swaddle and he is a little restless, I just turn him on his side, which he prefers, and put a little pressure on his shoulder, arm and thigh with my hands. Just enough to seem like I'm holding him and it helps calm him down.

I have looked at several of the baby straight jackets because he needs something sometimes as he startles himself awake but without knowing it will work, I hate spending the money! Here's to hoping he will not need to be wrapped up much longer. [-O<
  • Options
    Are you keeping white noise on all night long? It really helps us a ton

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We still swaddle with an A&A blanket, arms out. This morning when she woke up, she was entirely unswaddled, so we may be switching to the Halo sleep sack soon. I don't think she really needs to be swaddled for comfort anymore, but she definitely felt cool this morning after not having anything on her.

• Options
    We have been using the Miracle Blanket, so that's what I picked, but just this week he's started busting his hands out to chew on them. He has been sleeping like 10pm-8am but last night he was awake a lot and finally I nursed him before I left for work (usually he is still asleep so I just pump) to get him back to sleep for another hour or so. I ordered a Zipadeezip yesterday so I guess we'll give it a try when it gets here. He naps okay unswaddled but only if he's pretty much already asleep when I put him in the crib - if he's awake (even if sleepy) then it seems he needs the swaddle to help "put away" his hands.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    dawn792dawn792 member
    edited January 2015
    We've never been able to swaddle. He hates having is arms bound and wouldn't tolerate it at all, even in the hospital. He sleeps in a sleep sack
  • Options
    She was busting out of the swaddle anyways, and we were up every 3 hours with feeds to gain weight still at the time so we just went cold turkey. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    I've been working hard on breaking the swaddle habit but DH has been working just as hard on continuing to swaddle. However, I count blanket, halo, and miracle blanket all as swaddling. DS started breaking out of the miracle blanket 2 weeks ago (3m1w old) so I just stopped swaddling and he slept the same amount on average. That being said whe he doesn't want to go down, I can stick a boob in his mouth so I can't blame DH for resorting to the swaddle. We are both so damn exhausted it's anything to get him down mode. We also still haven't even attempted to move him to a crib so I think I'll try the magic suit for that then zipadee-zip if that doesn't help...
  • Options
    My son is 14 weeks tomorrow. We transitioned from basinett to crib last night (went great!) but we are still using the miracle Swaddle blanket. We started using it around 7 weeks and it truly has been a miracle! I don't want to stop using it, but it suggests to stop at 14 weeks. I'm going to definitely keep using it at least another week because I don't want to do too many new things at once (crib and not Swaddle!) I was interested in magic sleep suit but now I'm just worried it's 1 more thing to wean him from...
  • Options
    Another thought is whatever you do give it 3 nights of being very consistent and sometimes it can be best to make all changes at once so you don't have to go thru another 3 nights of transition.

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    He loved the swaddle during month 1 and 2 but stopped swaddling at 2 months BC our LO would try to kick out of them and began hating his arms wrapped. He sleeps well (0-2 night feeds- EBF) so we can't complain.

Lil Pumpkin Caffrey ~ 10/3/14

• Options
    Day 1 with Merlins Magic Sleep Suit resulted in 2.5 hour nap! I'm a fan already. Hopefully good things will continue tonight...

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    V can't usually last any longer than an hour so far without some kind of swaddle. As soon as she started trying to roll in her crib it made me kind of nervous (and now that she is successful there is no question) so the swaddle had to go. She has been in the Merlin suit for 2 weeks going on 3 and I didn't think it was very special to begin with. With time though, I've noticed that it makes it easier to put her down drowsy but awake. And Friday night she slept 10.5 hours straight (daycare may also be responsible since this is her first week) and last night she only woke once and then slept for 7 more hours. So either she is just becoming a better sleeper with age or the suit is helping. Not sure. But I will keep using it until I don't think it's helping.
  • Options
    DS started consistently busting out of his miracle blanket swaddle around 3 months old. I would've swaddled longer but he didn't really give us a choice. It would wake him up when he broke out, so we just went straight to a sleep sack. The first night we tried keeping his arms inside the sleep sack (instead of through the sleeves) in an attempt to transition. Within an hour he had gotten one arm through the sleeve and the other elbow stuck in the sleeve, so that obviously didn't work. He did much better than I expected not being swaddled. He still has a lot of nights that he wakes up 1 or 2 times but he did that while swaddled too, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

The first time we left his hands out, he scratched his face all up and his hands were freezing in the morning. So now he gets socks on his hands every time he sleeps. Maybe just something to be aware of if your LO is prone to scratching (DS was always bad with that, even after I cut his nails).
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    DS has been sleeping so crappy because of the leap, I'm assuming, so we got rid of the swaddle too. If he is going to wake up every 1-2 hours, might as well make it worth something.

• Options
    We're using generic sleep sacks.. and we started throwing them in the mix when one night ALL of her swaddlers were dirty (At about 2 months). We got lucky and she tolerates them just fine.  We have mostly stopped swaddling except on a rare occasion when she has a complete and utter break down... and when she calms there is always at least one arm out of it. She sleeps just fine in them, but we had started them before we even began crib training. Now she sleeps full time crib, and full time sleep sack. Occasionally we swaddle without arms, but that is usually because she's wearing something warmer and would over heat in the fleece sleep sack.  She still startles herself kicking too much to be left with nothing.
  • Options
    V can't usually last any longer than an hour so far without some kind of swaddle. As soon as she started trying to roll in her crib it made me kind of nervous (and now that she is successful there is no question) so the swaddle had to go. She has been in the Merlin suit for 2 weeks going on 3 and I didn't think it was very special to begin with. With time though, I've noticed that it makes it easier to put her down drowsy but awake. And Friday night she slept 10.5 hours straight (daycare may also be responsible since this is her first week) and last night she only woke once and then slept for 7 more hours. So either she is just becoming a better sleeper with age or the suit is helping. Not sure. But I will keep using it until I don't think it's helping.
    this is a good point - we definitely noticed this with the merlin. it's a great help.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We just stopped swaddling. She was busting out of it. We tried the swaddleme but she didn't like it so now I'm using sleep sacks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"