Attachment Parenting
Options

Side-lying nursing and bed sharing

I've been reading through old posts for about an hour and figure it's time to just ask! ...to safely nurse side-lying while bed sharing, do I need to be concerned about repositioning LO(on his back before we fall back asleep? DS is 4 weeks old and it seems he would sleep on his side nuzzling my breast if I let him. Any input would be much appreciated!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Side-lying nursing and bed sharing

• Options
    pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited November 2014
    This "protective cuddle curl" is what Dr. James McKenna (the premier mother-infant sleep researcher in the US) observed as a protective factor when practicing safe-bedsharing, so I wouldn't be concered about it. You can read all about his work here: https://cosleeping.nd.edu/.
  • Options
    when DS was a newborn, he would often fall asleep on his side, facing me, with his head on my shoulder and my arm curled around him. i absolutely would not worry about it, provided you are following the other safe cosleeping guidelines. you will be very aware of where your LO is- if they stir or reposition yourselves, you will wake up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I breastfed all my children like what you are describing. From newborn until 2.
  • Options
    Thanks to all! I guess I need to work on the whole "trust your instincts" thing, but it's so nice to have experienced moms advice and knowledge.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS is 6 months and we have only recently stopped bedsharing. I side nursed in bed around that age many times a night and although I was nervous as well, he would always unlatch and either remain facing me sleeping practically in my arm pit or roll to his back on his own.
  • Options
    DS1 and I would always fall asleep while nursing, I wouldn't worry about it but if you'll feel safer, it's not going to hurt anything to roll him to his back.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Read the study from McKenna. The face to face position is discussed. Fun fact, the average mom will check on their face to face child 12 times a night, even though she will not remember most of it. He discovered that during his sleep studies.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"