Toddlers: 24 Months+

Tell me your potty training stories

We are in the middle of potty training and things are going well but I feel like such a newbie! Just looking for stories of how other approached potty-training to see if I can pick up some good ideas around it. I looked through several posts on potty training and found a few good things but want moar! 

How did you do it? 
How long did it take? 
What worked? 
What didn't? 
When/how do you clean the little potty? (this grosses me out so much and I feel like I have to clean it after every use)
When did you introduce the big potty?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Me: 38 DH: 36
Married 8/27/2011
BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

Re: Tell me your potty training stories

• I have nothing to add but would like to follow this thread!

Well, I have one thing to add. We will probably go straight to the little seat on the big potty. We have a little potty with a seat that can come off and go on the big potty, and my son has zero interest in the little potty, except as a toy that he thinks is a riding push toy. He is very interested in sitting on the big potty with the little seat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS1, I tried a couple of times after he turned 2 but he wasn't ready and it was frustrating both of us so I backed off and waited until he was ready.  I would occasionally ask him if he wanted to potty or remind him that big boys use the potty but that was it.  One day, DH told him big boys potty and asked if he wanted him to show him.  DS1 followed him to the bathroom, watched then went himself and that was that.  Honestly, after that, he told us when he needed to potty.  I used a pullup over underwear in the car for the first few weeks because I was terrified he would have an accident and I would have to strip the car seat and wash it all but he was good.  I 100% know that we lucked out and doubt DS2 will potty train that easy but we're just waiting until he's ready like DS1.  

With DS1, we used the big potty with a little insert that sat on top of the seat.  At first, he felt more secure sitting facing the toilet tank because he could hold on easier but after a month or so, he felt more steady and just used the insert.  Pullups over undies so they still feel if they have an accident was recommended by his teachers but they only did that for naps.  I think the biggest thing is waiting until they are ready and not trying to turn it into a battle.  I have friends who were essentially potty training for 6+ months because they were insistent that they weren't going to stop but their kids weren't ready.  All kids are different and what works for one kid won't work for the next.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree the most important thing is knowing when they are ready.  It shouldn't become a battle.

With both we started putting them on the potty (big potty with insert) right before bath.  We also allowed them to wear underwear around the house to get a feel for them.  We asked about using the potty to get a feel for them but never required they sit on the potty.  When we had seen enough signs that they were ready (DD was 26 mos, DS had a false start at 24 mos and then was ready at 27 mos) we started training.  

We went to underwear and pants right from the beginning.  Yes, these means more laundry but I think it also helps it to click faster.  We started by taking them to the potty every hour or so the first day and then slowly backing off offering and waiting for them to recognize and respond.  Both of my kids caught onto the potty pretty quickly as far as peeing.  Pooping took almost another week of accidents and whatnot but it clicked as well.  I like starting with the big potty because I think it makes being out and about easier.  Neither one had any issue peeing in public from the beginning.  We stick with diapers for naps and nighttime until they are consistently waking up dry.  Good luck.
  • Shortly before he turned 2 we introduced the idea of the potty to him.  Which meant bathrooms were an open-door affair for DH and I.  Monkey see, monkey do?  I guess that's the idea.

Around 2 he began asking to sit on the potty before he took his bath, which was inspired by the fact that he usually pees as soon as the bath starts running (so regularly, that DH would run the water, waits for the little guy to to pee, and then once the tub clears, he filled the tub)

We told him that he could sit on the potty whenever he wants to go to the bathroom.  And he did ask from time to time, but not with any regularity.  We started letting him wear underwear after his last diaper change of the day, which usually happened during dinner.  And that gave him about 10-15 minutes of dry underwear time before bathtime. 

At 2 years, 7 months we were staying in a hotel when he decided he wanted to poop in toilet.  And that was the last time he ever pooped in his diaper.  But he still was peeing in them.

About a month later he decided he wanted to wear underwear and pee in the potty. 

About 2 months after that, he started waking at night having to pee and we'd help him go to the bathroom.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies for all the stories! These are helpful! 

@theresa858 - the pants without underwear idea was brilliant! We have the Gerber training underwear and DS just kept peeing in them even though he doesn't have accidents if he is wearing nothing. This morning I just put pants on, no underwear and he's had no accidents so far. He still hasn't pooped though and I'm wondering if he is holding it in so we might go naked for the last few hours of the day and see if I can get him to poop. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• How did you do it?

Did a combination of the 3-day method (modified), and rewards (smarties). We used a long weekend to just take DD out of diapers and straight to underwear (except for naps and overnight, where we put her in a pull-up). We waited another month or so before we trained her for naps and overnights.

How long did it take?
    In total, probably about 3 months for her to be fully potty trained round the clock, but for days excluding the naps and overnights, she was trained for pee within those first 3 days, poops were more difficult.. it took her about a month, but she also had issues with holding bowel movements for a while before she was potty trained. It all worked out eventually.

What worked?

The methods I described above, and just being supportive.

What didn't?

Associating accidents with anything negative. When DD had an accident, we never made a big deal out of it, we just said "uh-oh, let's get cleaned up" and moved on. But at daycare, the first (and only time) DD peed the bed there, my daycare provider was complaining to DD that she would now have to wash the sheets and stuff, and that was a bad move. DD woke up inconsolable after having an accident at home in her bed that night, and once she calmed down, we had to explain to her that accidents happen, then she was fine. I think rewarding the good, ignoring the "bad" is the way to go (it was for us anyway, of course, not every kid is the same).

When/how do you clean the little potty? (this grosses me out so much and I feel like I have to clean it after every use)

We spray it out with cleaner and rinse after every use. DD sometimes plays with it, and has run around the house with the potty on her head, so yeah.... we keep it clean. LOL

When did you introduce the big potty?

She had the option of using either from the very beginning. Eventually she would use the big toilet for pees, and the potty for poops. Now she'll use the toilet for everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"