December 2013 Moms
Options

Cow's milk alternative

Does anyone have their LO drinking something other than cow's milk?  Julia turned 1 on NYE and I started trying to introduce cow's milk a few weeks ago.  Every single time she has had any milk, she has gotten constipated within a day or 2 to the point where she is straining and crying until she finally goes.  I noticed the same thing happened the few time I gave her yogurt a few months ago.  I would really like to get her off formula but when she gets constipated drinking just 2 oz of milk, I can't imagine what it would be like with more.  And I already struggle with getting her to eat any table food so I know she's not really getting much nutrition from that.  She goes for her one year check up next week and I will bring it up with her doctor but I figured I would just see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cow's milk alternative

• Options
    I've been doing a mix of almond milk and wcm - mostly because my LO refuses to drink WCM straight. In fairness she barely will drink the blend and I'm desperately trying to wean with little luck.
    Baby Girl Cbowl born 12/2013.   Love love love.

• Options
    LO has a milk protein intolerance and our Pediatrician said we could do any kind of milk we wished, but said to avoid rice milk and said she liked almond over coconut as it wasn't as sweet as long as we got unsweetened. LO is still getting Breastmilk, but we have been mixing half BM with Almond milk in a cup once a day to get him familiar with it.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too do almond milk because LO will not drink cows milk. I am still attempting to give it to him but no such luck yet.

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    sleepymonkeysleepymonkey member
    edited January 2015
    I am going to stick with formula until her appointment but I will ask the pedi about almond milk. I have a similar reaction when I have too much dairy so I have a feeling she got it from me. I have heard that her pedi tells people to quit formula at 1 so we'll have to figure something out.
  • Options
    We've been going with almond milk, but no set way. Sometimes he gets strait almond milk, sometimes strait breastmilk, and sometimes we mix them.

I try to make sure he gets some healthy fats, like avocado, if he does mostly almond milk. We haven't had any problems, I just try to avoid dairy and my hubs has a lot of lactose intolerance in his family.
  • Options
    I'm another fan of almond milk. I'm vegetarian and we don't do milk at all in our household. She's transitioned great and as PP said, we make sure she's eating avocado and other foods that have healthy fats in them. Good luck!
  • Options
    We don't have any dairy at our house. Our pedi was okay with LO drinking coconut milk for now. She's also still BF. I want her to drink almond milk, but she doesn't like it. For constipation I give LO some cultured coconut milk and that seems to help pretty quickly.

Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG
  • Options
    We were having the exact same problem and switched to almond milk after getting the ok a few days ago. Our pedi also mentioned the toddler formula but she eats plenty of big meals so she said she didn't think it was necessary.
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • Options
    W had diarrhea constantly with the whole milk. Pedi said try 2% and it is working great! Maybe ask about switching up from whole? A friend's baby just went through same transition from whole to 2% because of constipation. No problems for him either! 
  • Options
    kattiedidkattiedid member
    edited January 2015
    I give my DS who turned 1 on Dec 2nd Enfagrow stage 3.. has everything our babies need. He loves it and I still give him cows milk too when we are out of the house. 
    My pedi said that you don't have to switch to whole milk, she says that formula is fine and they do make different ones that go up to 2 years old.
  • Options
    I've heard goats milk is good but have not tried it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"