February 2014 Moms
Options

How do I get this kid off my boob?

i didn't have to deal with this with Scarlett, so I'm lost. Logan is pretty much only nursing before naps and bed. I've tried just offering him milk in a sippy, but no dice. I just want to be done. How do I wean him off these last couple of nursing sessions?

Re: How do I get this kid off my boob?

• Options
    With my H away, not so much. I might be able to have my MIL take him, but I hate to give her a crazy cranky baby like that. I dunno...I'll talk it over with her and see what she says. It's definitely a good idea.
  • Options
    Can mil come over to help?
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Will he take a bottle vs a sippy? (One battle at a time, if you will?)
  • Options

Can mil come over to help?

Possibly. She may be coming up in a couple of weeks anyway.

Will he take a bottle vs a sippy? (One battle at a time, if you will?)

Nope. He has absolutely refused bottles since birth. He makes my boobs sad that they don't get a vacation.
  • Options

Is there a particular session that he seems less interested than others? I would try to drop that one first. Maybe give it a week or two, and then try to drop another? We're not to this point yet, so all my advice is hypothetical, sorry! Good luck!

He has gone to bed without nursing and after taking a few sips from the cup, but then he wakes up an hour or two later because he's hungry. That's the session I've been working on first. He just yells at the cup at nap times.
  • Options
    What time is his dinner and what time is bedtime? I'm wondering if you could load him up on solids so he sleeps longer? Will he use a sippy during the day?
  • Options
    (I really got nothing here...I'm just trying to think of anything that might help you, mama!)
  • Options

Have you demanded that he act right?

Yes. He still defies me.

What time is his dinner and what time is bedtime? I'm wondering if you could load him up on solids so he sleeps longer? Will he use a sippy during the day?

He eats at 6 and bedtime is 7, so they're not too far off. And yes, he does use the sippy during the day, though just as kind of a drive-by drinking device.

(I really got nothing here...I'm just trying to think of anything that might help you, mama!)

I appreciate it! :x
  • Options
    For us the only thing that worked was refusing to nurse. It was hard but LO refused both bottles and sippy cups. So I talked with me pedi and then a few gf's that weaned from nursing and all of them said to just stop nursing.
    It was definitely hard though. He cried, I cried, the BF got upset too. But, by bedtime the first night he took some milk from the sippy cup. By his 2nd nap the next day he was an old pro. And now he doesn't even try to pull my shirt down anymore. We started the day after Christmas.

It may not be an option for you but that's what worked for us. I just made sure he was getting good solids in and I would offer the sippy with breast milk in it often. When he finally was thirsty enough he took it.

Oh and the plus side? LO magically STTN now! Not every night, but most nights. Had I known that would happen, I would've weaned him a lot sooner!

Good luck! I hope you can figure out something that works for you

• Options
    @narcissticbeaut‌ This may be my next step. I didn't really want to make him go cold turkey, but he's not leaving me a lot of options.
  • Options
    I weaned earlier at 9 months but it took over a month I had to mix boob milk with formula or he wouldn't drink it and I slowly put in less boob milk. I slowly took out breastfeeding sessions until one day I just stopped. Now I'm getting rid of formula for cows milk, I had to mix that too .

BFP #1 11/01/12 M/C 12/22/12 @11w4d

BFP #2 06/04/13 DS born 02/08/14

• Options
    Crossing my fingers!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"