September 2014 Moms
Options

Catnaps

edited January 2015 in September 2014 Moms
Any LOs still doing short naps? My guy is 4 months and does 35-45 minute naps, up for 1.5 hours in between so it feels like I'm constantly putting him down. I put him down as soon as he gets sleepy and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I rock him to sleep or the rare time he goes down "drowsy but awake." He's still up 2-3x at night too. Any insight is appreciated!
Eta, we do sleepsuit, white noise, and darkened room.

Re: Catnaps

• Options
    My LO is EXACTLY the same!!!!! I would love to hear what other people are doing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My tiny human takes between 5 and 20 minute naps during the day and 3 hours in between naps. He does usually get one good 30-45 minute nap in the early afternoon, longer if I'm really lucky but not usually. He also has to be guarded from the 3yo because she loves him so much she can't be away from him for a second.

He has one long stretch of sleep at night usually from 9:30/10 until 2:30ish. After that he is up every 60-90 minutes until 8am and then he's up starting his daily routine all over again. I get him in his bed for the long night sleep and if I'm lucky 2 of the wake ups. After that I'm too damn tired and it's so much easier to keep him in bed and bf without getting up to move him.

We were swaddling until last week and he really doesn't sleep as well when he's tied up so I stopped. He likes his arms free and was waking himself up sneaking his hands out of the blanket.

My older kids were great sleepers. Slept through the night at 6wks and 3mos. My younger two are awful sleepers. Dd2 still doesn't always sleep through the night. It will pass eventually but right now, it's up to them. (I am a completely on demand mom. I don't put my kiddos on schedules for sleep or feeding this early. Other than a lot of waking up, they have all made their own schedules.)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO takes a long one in the morning not long after his 8am, then periodically catnaps in 20-30 min increments during the day. Takes another long one at 5 gets up to eat at 7 then plays and maybe one more tiny nap before a 10 pm bottle then down till 8 the next day. He was a horrible sleeper till he hit 10#s around 3 months and like magic it lengthened to what it is now. He'll go down awake or asleep so long as dry fed and gotten his daily dose of snuggles.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Options
    Mine only naps longer than 45 minutes in the swing. She also takes progressively shorter naps as the day goes on. At least one wakeup at night and just as often 2.
  • Options

Mine only naps longer than 45 minutes in the swing. She also takes progressively shorter naps as the day goes on. At least one wakeup at night and just as often 2.

I've been contemplating using the swing to lengthen naps @Vavavictoria‌ since LO#1took nice long naps in it! It was such a nightmare to wean him off the swing though so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it! There's a great site called Troublesome Tots that recommends using the swing to teach LO to fall asleep on their own, maybe I'll revisit it...

• Options
    amom2four said:

My tiny human takes between 5 and 20 minute naps during the day and 3 hours in between naps. He does usually get one good 30-45 minute nap in the early afternoon, longer if I'm really lucky but not usually. He also has to be guarded from the 3yo because she loves him so much she can't be away from him for a second.

He has one long stretch of sleep at night usually from 9:30/10 until 2:30ish. After that he is up every 60-90 minutes until 8am and then he's up starting his daily routine all over again. I get him in his bed for the long night sleep and if I'm lucky 2 of the wake ups. After that I'm too damn tired and it's so much easier to keep him in bed and bf without getting up to move

Are you talking about my baby? For the most part, describes my LO most of the time, except she really likes to randomly completely change things up once or twice a week, just so I never know what to expect.
  • Options
    This sounds exactly like my LO for the last week altho his naps are more like 25-30 mins. He used to do these same short naps but always had one that was much longer (like 2.5/3hrs) but that seems to be gone. Today he took two 1-hr naps and one 1.5-he nap but I'd be surprised if it was anything but a fluke. And he's still up to eat 2-4x/night. He was sleeping better a month or two ago than he is now.
  • Options
    We use the swing to get 2 hours usually twice a day, morning and afternoon. She used to take 3 but now she's moved her bedtime up to 7 pm. I tried her crib for a nap today and got 40 mins. With the early bedtime were up 3 times right now, 10, 2, 5 and up for good at 7.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @Everyusernameistaken‌ i love troublesometots.com. That's where I have found the sleep advice I like the most. With DD I figure daycare uses swings sometimes so no point in completely avoiding it. I usually try to have her in the swing for the first nap of the day to at least start out right and then it just depends on if it's a happy baby day or if the evil baby is around. Then every nap is in the swing :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"